PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth $50?

Greg Urwiller
01-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Called a guy this morning on a Stanley Bailey #7, corrugated plane. CL ad last Wednesday, figured it would be gone by today. It's 125 miles away but by daughter lives in the same city so she could pick it up. $50 is all he wants. But, here's the catch....it was cracked at one time and has been brazed. Sounds like one side is cracked from the throat. My gut says forget it. But $50 is pretty cheap, IF it's been fixed correctly. It wouldn't be a real collectible, but would make a nice user (IF it's been fixed correctly). I'm thinking pass. What do you think. Thanks. Greg

Harlan Barnhart
01-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Let it go. Brazing takes a lot of heat. Heat can cause warping. I took a chance on a brazed 607 bedrock which cannot be flattened. $50 will take you a long way to a ligit #7 from a reputable dealer.

Todd Burch
01-14-2012, 12:28 PM
$50 for a cracked #7 is not cheap - it's highway robbery.

Greg Urwiller
01-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Pretty much what I thought more knowledgeable people would say. Seller said another guy told him that he'd take it, but never showed. Without being able to see it personally I wasn't too optimistic. The only person I'd trust to braze it straight would have been my Dad, best welder I've ever seen. Thank you. Greg

Jim Koepke
01-14-2012, 1:39 PM
Greg,

Even if it was fixed by the world's best welder, my suggestion would still be to pass.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
01-14-2012, 1:46 PM
Another vote for let it go. As a point of reference, I bought a Bedrock 607 corrugated, with 95%+ jappanning, no cracks, blade looks like it never was sharpened for $85.00 at a local flea market. I would offer him $5.00, if he would deliver.

Bill White
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Beatles tune? "Let it be....", or "I'll see you in my dreams"....
Bill

Michael Ray Smith
01-16-2012, 1:24 PM
Nope. If I had that one, I'd part it out. If the tote and knob are rosewood and in good condition, you can get several bucks for them, but $50 is too much to pay.

Jack Curtis
01-16-2012, 3:30 PM
It's not a bad price if the seller is paying the buyer to take it away. :)

David Weaver
01-16-2012, 3:39 PM
I'd think about it if it was otherwise new looking and had a perfect tote and knob, with a good clear decal on the tote.

Otherwise, if you pay $50 for it, you'll have the benefit of keeping it for a long time. It's worth more as the parts minus casting than it is as a complete plane, unless the parts are really bad.