PDA

View Full Version : While on the topic of Hammer A3-31...

Ruhi Arslan
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Can someone measure and post the location of the holes where the shaft for the mobility kit is mounted into? The diameter of the hole and the distance from one side to the other too... Either of the imperial (UK), US (old imperial) and metric untis of measurements would work. It may help people who may be waiting for their's to be delivered especially if they are planning to make the kit to save few bucks. ;)

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2012, 2:43 PM
Can someone measure and post the location of the holes where the shaft for the mobility kit is mounted into? The diameter of the hole and the distance from one side to the other too... Either of the imperial (UK), US (old imperial) and metric untis of measurements would work. It may help people who may be waiting for their's to be delivered especially if they are planning to make the kit to save few bucks. ;)

Hi Ruhi, sorry about the poor drawing however I made mine by iserting a piece of 1/2" copper pipe through the holes, with a piece of 1/2" cold rolled round as the axle.

The copper pipe projected the same thickness as the washers which are against the cabinet, and the axle was cut long enough to hold two washers. the wheel, and the hole for the cotter pin.

I used cast iron roller bearing wheels for my B3 Winner, other sturdy types such as nylon would be fine.

I would wait to measure the machine before cutting the pipe and shaft in case the new machine is different than my own.

All dimensions are in mm unless noted................Rod.

Ruhi Arslan
01-14-2012, 3:02 PM
Thanks very much. That will do...

ian maybury
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Another perspective on moving Hammer planer thicknessers, although mine is the A3 410 and i'm not sure if this applies to the A3 31.

The other often mentioned alternative is to use a manual pallet truck/jack. It works quite well, but means that it moves most easily in the direction of the infeed/outfeed. It's not 100% straightforward, you have to per the manual install two hefty bolts in the holes provided in the outer face of one side panel. This is because the feet/side rails are too close together to get more than one of the truck forks in between them - the other must go outside and under the bolts which project by about 100mm.

Care is needed before you lift. It's necessary to raise the infeed and outfeed tables and lock them in the vertical position first. This shifts their weight over to the hinge/bolt side of the machine. Otherwise the centre of gravity of the load ends up placed right out over one fork of the truck - far enough to one side that it would take very little to tip the planer off it.

It works fine, and I've done it on my own several times - but it's the sort of job where it's probably better to have a second person around when you move the machine if you can to provide some extra insurance....

ian