PDA

View Full Version : RB who?

steven c newman
01-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Was in Menards tonight, just 'window shopping". Came across a little black and yellow plane, handplane that is. Called an RB5. Maybe a "modern" version of the Stanley RB10? Even had a spare blade with it! About $10+tax, too. Just wondering.....:confused:

David Posey
01-14-2012, 12:30 AM
It is an unequivocal piece of junk. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I bought one before I knew what I was doing. I needed it to trim up some hardboard on some art cradles I made for my wife. It did the job for that, and then one side broke clean in two the first time it fell on the floor. I can't imagine you could ever actually use it to plane wood.

It does look like you're right on the concept though. They took a plane that was already bad and made it very much worse. I think you'd have much better luck getting a decent shaving out of a HF plane straight out of the box. Thank goodness I found the light and have a decent collection of vintage Stanleys and wooden bodied planes now

Jim Neeley
01-14-2012, 4:04 AM
Steve,

The battle many of us have fallen for, in different ways, is that many BORG and HW stores sell "items that masquerade as tools"*.

Jim

*Paraphrased from Chris Schwarz's book "The Anarchist's Tool Chest", which is a fabulous book on tools and wood working!! Fun read, as well!!