PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Firewood

Lee Koepke
01-13-2012, 9:03 PM
yeah,um.... it has a tendency to 'pop' in the fireplace. I was eventually going to replace our living room carpet, but after tonites mortar barrage, it may have to be pushed up in the renovation schedule. I now have a pot-marked berber living room carpet

Brian Elfert
01-13-2012, 9:45 PM
My parents have a fireproof rug in front of their wood stove for exactly this reason. When the door is open hot embers and such can sometimes land on the carpet.

Cedar is the worst for popping. It is burns very aggressively so my parents use it to start the wood stove.

Jim Rimmer
01-13-2012, 11:11 PM
If you want to see a real fireworks show, burn some Bois D'Arc (Osage Orange). Yikes. :eek:

Ole Anderson
01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I have a major burn in my rug a good 10 feet from my fireplace. I keep the screen closed now until all of my kindling is burned and I am just burning the good red oak stuff. Kindling is whatever is too small to use in the shop and can include pine and cedar scraps which will pop. Any Populus deltoides (Cottonwood) cut on my property gets stacked at the curb and gets hauled away for free. I like to keep the screen open for visual effect and to toast marshmallows!

Lee Koepke
01-14-2012, 7:31 PM
I (luckily) dont have much poplar left. I do have a couple of red oaks that fell in a storm a few years ago that I am hoping to get some firewood out of ... (and maybe a bowl blank or two???)

That will be the last of my poplar experiment...

Jim Becker
01-14-2012, 8:32 PM
The few times I had any poplar in the wood stove, it burned very, very fast...no popping, however.