PDA

View Full Version : My newest Buddy

Joe Bailey
01-13-2012, 5:34 PM
Here's a little something I picked up the other day. I thought it was a toy at first, but on closer inspection, I changed my mind. Wikipedia says Buddy L started out making stamped auto body parts in 1910, then started manufacturing toys in 1921. This has the 1917-1940 "Phila" medallion, and a bit of wheat carving. Can anyone add any background history?

Deane Allinson
01-13-2012, 7:34 PM
It looks like it was part of the "BuddyL" No. 4 tool box circa mid 1920's. It had a lot of Disston, Miller Falls, Stanley tools in it. Almost a conplete woodworking set. They were real "small" tools, and not just toys. Nice find, and a nice saw.
Deane

Joe Bailey
01-13-2012, 8:14 PM
Thanks Deane!

Pat Barry
01-14-2012, 9:00 AM
Is that a kid's sized tool?

David Keller NC
01-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Joe - That's a valuable saw, but not for woodworkers (not that it'd be a bad "toolbox" saw, just that it's too valuable for that purpose). "BuddyL" toys are hotly collected on the antiques market, and a collector would probably pay well in excess of what the saw is worth as a woodworking tool just because it has the "BuddyL" logo.

It's an analogous situation to "Winchester" woodworking tools. There are many firearms collectors that have a collection of Winchester woodworking tools because of the brand name.

Zach England
01-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I have encountered a few of those "tool chests for boys" kits in antique stores and none of them had a saw that nice. That one even has a nice medallion. Cool.