PDA

View Full Version : Keeton Ogee finished

Jamie Donaldson
01-13-2012, 4:21 PM
Sprayed some semi-gloss Deft on the project for a minimal finish, and the ogee came out fairly true to my intended design. Didn't even have to CA glue any of the bark back on, as I've been told is sometimes necessary? Does this pass the test John?

Roger Chandler
01-13-2012, 4:29 PM
Good lookin' bowl, Jamie.............I think you got the ogee curve pretty well set on this one............nice job!

David DeCristoforo
01-13-2012, 4:30 PM
Very sweet! Nothing not to like about this one.

Tim Rinehart
01-13-2012, 4:42 PM
Wow...that's graceful. I like it alot Jamie, superb!!

Harvey Ghesser
01-13-2012, 4:49 PM
Beautiful...

Nate Davey
01-13-2012, 4:57 PM
Wow, rustic and elegant. Beautiful sweeping ogee. The foot is a bit tall for me, but I'm not the artist you are.

Dan Forman
01-13-2012, 5:01 PM
Elegance and grace!

Dan

Alan Trout
01-13-2012, 5:22 PM
Jamie,

Very well done a. Beautiful bowl for sure.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
01-13-2012, 5:45 PM
Very nice bowl Jamie! Really like the way you have the lights set up! There is a subtle shadow but no dark areas on the bowl!! I will have to keep trying!!

Russell Eaton
01-13-2012, 6:31 PM
Jamie that is incredible! Great shape and photo. Definitely worth the effort.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2012, 6:35 PM
Beautiful piece Jamie. Love the picture and the form.

Robert McGowen
01-13-2012, 6:37 PM
Showing some skills there, Jamie! Nice job.

Allan Ferguson
01-13-2012, 6:50 PM
I find NE bowls a bear to turn. Yours is a fine bowl and the thinness impresses my.

Tony De Masi
01-13-2012, 7:00 PM
Whoever said elegance and grace was spot on. Very nice piece.

Ted Calver
01-13-2012, 7:03 PM
Oooh gee..that's nice!

Jamie Donaldson
01-13-2012, 7:19 PM
Steve, there is only 1 light source employed, and you know where to find the Phrugal Photo Studio tutorial here on site!

Rob Price
01-13-2012, 8:26 PM
incredible piece!

Baxter Smith
01-13-2012, 8:43 PM
Very sleek and graceful Jamie!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-13-2012, 9:27 PM
Who would have imagined an Ogee on a NE bowl. Outstanding.
faust

Dale Miner
01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Jamie, I can't answer the "Pass the John test", but it looks like you would get at least a 9.5 on a scale of 10.

BTW, I didn't know John was a Roman.

Dale

Roland Martin
01-14-2012, 7:20 AM
Very nice ogee Jamie, I would think it will pass the Keeton test without a problem:)

John Keeton
01-14-2012, 7:20 AM
Jamie, you did well!!! Great form, and it is thin! Did you spray the Deft on while it was still wet? Just curious.

BTW, I took the bait - started my NE ogee cherry bowl from the piece I got. I hope it comes out half as good!

For those that are not aware, our club is doing a co-op charity project with the local arboretum. They took down a cherry tree (or had one come down?) and some club members harvested the wood. Our members will turn a variety of objects and "Re-turn" them to the arboretum for display and a silent auction. We will split the proceeds with them. There will be an advertised reception at which some of the club members will be doing some demos.

Dale Miner
01-14-2012, 7:46 AM
John,

No doubt your bowl will give Jamie some tough competition, and it sounds like your local arboretum and you club will be the winners. Be sure to post pics of your bowl and if possible, all the projects from the tree.

Michelle Rich
01-14-2012, 7:53 AM
very elegant lines ..& all the bark??? This is one of the most graceful NE's I've seen. Very good job.

Hayes Rutherford
01-14-2012, 8:51 AM
Thats a fantastic natural edge piece, the ogee effect on the path of the bark is key here.

Scott Hackler
01-14-2012, 9:46 AM
Very, very nice work Jamie. It is amazing what the curves of the ogee do to a form.

Jamie Donaldson
01-15-2012, 8:48 PM
John- I just saw your comment about applying finish to the wet cherry, and this is a main reason for turning walls to a final thinness, a technique pioneered by Rude Osolnik. The wood was not dripping wet in the beginning of the turning process, and by the time the cutting and sanding are completed, most of the moisture has been driven out of the form. I allowed it to sit in the shop overnight to stabilize, then finish sanded with sanding sealer(lacquer), and it was then dry enough to apply the final 2 spray coats of Deft. Walls of a turning that are uniformly thin will seldom crack, because they now loose moisture at a uniform rate. Additional insurance would be to cure the turning in a paper bag for a few days or weeks, but this piece was too large to fit any brown bags I had. So I let it stay in the shop overnight, never in the house where the temps and humidity might be "unkind" to the freshly cut wood.

Kathy Marshall
01-15-2012, 9:07 PM
Beautiful NE bowl Jamie! The ogee and thin walls give it a very delicate look.

Peter Blair
01-15-2012, 9:46 PM
Hey Jamie, great NE and super photos. Can you give a new guy a hint about where I can find the Phrugal Photo Studio? My photos aren't bad but don't compare to these!

Jamie Donaldson
01-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey Jamie, great NE and super photos. Can you give a new guy a hint about where I can find the Phrugal Photo Studio? My photos aren't bad but don't compare to these!

I know the tutorial is here on SMC somewhere, but it's also on my web site under the tips menu. JamieDonaldsonWoodturner.com

Mike Cruz
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
That turned out fantastic, Jamie. Thanks for following up with pics on it!

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 8:07 AM
When Jamie first posted this piece in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179609-Keeton-s-Ogee&highlight=KEETON+OGEE), I took it as a challenge! He had usurped my idea for the charity turning, and now it was personal!;):D So, this is my retort!

Having seen both of these pieces side-by-side at the last club meeting - Jamie won! His is thinner and more refined.

I can only attribute the difference to the fact that he has been turning for 112 years, has studied at the lathe of every master turner that I can think of, and is more talented. Other than those trivial differences - I think he was just lucky!:rolleyes:

Dale Miner
02-05-2012, 8:25 AM
When Jamie first posted this piece in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179609-Keeton-s-Ogee&highlight=KEETON+OGEE), I took it as a challenge! He had usurped my idea for the charity turning, and now it was personal!;):D So, this is my retort!

Having seen both of these pieces side-by-side at the last club meeting - Jamie won! His is thinner and more refined.

I can only attribute the difference to the fact that he has been turning for 112 years, has studied at the lathe of every master turner that I can think of, and is more talented. Other than those trivial differences - I think he was just lucky!:rolleyes:

Mostly the 112 year thing!

Bill Wyko
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Jamie, the bark looks perfect and your form is stunning. I'm a big fan of NE turnings that are thin too. An excellent job in every aspect. Well done.

Van Huskey
02-05-2012, 11:50 PM
In a word, stunning.

David E Keller
02-06-2012, 12:17 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread initially, but I'm glad it's resurfaced! Jamie, I love the finished form of your piece! I hope one of you will snap a shot of all the completed works for the arboretum... Sounds like a neat deal!