PDA

View Full Version : donation to "The Fly Girls"

Dick Wilson
01-13-2012, 1:07 PM
Red Cedar HF 9" x 6" Satin lacquer finish.

This piece I turned for a donation to "The Fly Girls". This is my favorite organization to donate to. The group"s goal is to get women, who have survived breast cancer, out and enjoying themselves. Fly fishing certain does it. You never saw such a fun loving group in your life. 219573

David Dobbs
01-13-2012, 1:44 PM
WOW I like it!

An what a cool organization to donate it to

Dan Forman
01-13-2012, 1:59 PM
That's gorgeous, and a thoughtful donation.

Dan

Steve bellinger
01-13-2012, 2:03 PM
Dick that's really gorgeous, and what a great way to help out our woman that have, and are still going through breast cancer.

Mark Hubl
01-13-2012, 2:14 PM
Beauty of a piece Dick. I really like the form and how appropriate that it is full of pink tones. Nice donation!

Tony De Masi
01-13-2012, 2:17 PM
That is one beautiful piece Dick. Really love it. Did you have any cracking issues with the cedar?

Dick Wilson
01-13-2012, 2:37 PM
That is one beautiful piece Dick. Really love it. Did you have any cracking issues with the cedar?

Tony, the wood was totally dry when I got it from a friend. It had already checked. I thought seriously about filling with an accent color and decided not to. One this one I decided to just leave it alone. Character.

charlie knighton
01-13-2012, 4:06 PM
very nice.....

Tim Rinehart
01-13-2012, 4:12 PM
Very cool Dick. Nice to see stuff that helps good causes...doesn't hurt when they look good to boot, and this one certainly qualifies.
I'd love to see other shots of this piece, perhaps one showing a bit of the top? I like the look of what beading I see...but other details at top difficult to discern.

Bernie Weishapl
01-13-2012, 6:48 PM
Beautiful piece Dick. Really like the wood and form.

Allan Ferguson
01-13-2012, 6:59 PM
Very nice indeed.

Jamie Donaldson
01-13-2012, 7:31 PM
Someone mentioned that the rings reminded them of ripples in water, so a top with a carved Royal Coachman for a knob would be like icing on the cake! If you eliminate the light on the R side it would enhance the appearance of depth, and fill the shadows on the R side with just a bounce card. It would also remove the second highlight on the R side, and you've certainly improved the accuracy of color balance in the wood reproduction.

Bill Bolen
01-13-2012, 8:02 PM
Great piece Dick! I'm a big fan of Red Cedar anyhow but you sure brought this piece of wood a whole new life.

John Keeton
01-14-2012, 7:27 AM
Nice work, Dick!! Nice color, form and detailing.

I take it you decided to abandon the knot filled chunk you started with? This piece doesn't look like it has a lot of hard spots.

Dick Wilson
01-14-2012, 8:36 AM
Nice work, Dick!! Nice color, form and detailing.

I take it you decided to abandon the knot filled chunk you started with? This piece doesn't look like it has a lot of hard spots.

Actually John, this IS the wood from hell that I was talking about. Turning the outside was tough. Hollowing was even worse. I didn't time it but I suspect I spent 3-4 hours total hollowing. I could only turn for a couple of minutes and then I had to either sharpen or hone the cutter. I have turned a number of Red Cedar forms in the past and never had anything like this. Must be minerals or sand :confused::(:(

Donny Lawson
01-14-2012, 9:07 AM
Great looking piece. The colors of the cedar is very neat. Good job on this one.

Dick Wilson
01-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Very cool Dick. Nice to see stuff that helps good causes...doesn't hurt when they look good to boot, and this one certainly qualifies.
I'd love to see other shots of this piece, perhaps one showing a bit of the top? I like the look of what beading I see...but other details at top difficult to discern.

Hi Tim, Your wish is a click away:D:D I thought this piece could withstand bead work. With the streaks in the top after beading it breaks them up and gives you a totally visual.219688

Hayes Rutherford
01-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Nice look, the beading came out well, and looks like the photos are going well too.