PDA

View Full Version : I'm back... barely.

John Pollman
03-14-2005, 9:48 PM
Some of you may know that last Sunday 3/6 I had a pretty bad accident while working on a job. I was carrying about a 40 lb load of ceiling tiles up on my right shoulder on the way down to a walkout basement that I'm finishing up for a customer. I lost my footing and fell and the load came down and hit me right in the face. But the big problem is that I landed on my left elbow first and broke the "head end" of my left humerous right off just below the ball that goes into my shoulder socket. I yelled for help for about 10 minutes but to no avail. I was the only one there and I couldn't alert any neighbors to my accident and at first couldn't get a signal for my cell. Luckily I was able to get a signal and call 911. The paramedics and ambulance showed up only about 5 minutes after I placed the call. I was in pretty rough shape. In shock, no jacket on (just a sweatshirt and jeans), kneeling in the snow in the "fetal position" for about 15-20 minutes since the accident. They transported me to the hospital and I got a bunch of xrays and a cat-scan to reveal the injury. To my utter shock, they released me and told me to "See this Orthopedic Surgeon after 2-3 days". What a load of garbage. I spent a miserable night at home and my wife was able to get me into another Ortho. on Tuesday morning. He confirmed I needed surgery and he'd just taken a cancellation for 1:00 Wed. I jumped on it. It's the first surgery I've ever had and was a bit scared but it went off without a hitch and I'm recovering. Still in considerable pain and I'm going to be unable to work for probably quite a while. I was so out of it that I don't know why I didn't ask for a 2nd opinion on Sunday night but I talked to a couple of other people that told me if I'd been taken to another hospital not far away, they would NOT have discharged me and I'd have probably has surgery Sun. evening and not on Wed. Oh well, can't do much about it now but I'm hoping to not be off work for too long. I'll check in here but it's gonna be tough to post much because I'm limited to one handed typing. ;) The MAJOR problem is that I'm left handed ! :eek: This is gonna SUCK.

Hope to be back to normal ASAP.

John

John Miliunas
03-14-2005, 9:55 PM
Oh John, I'm sincerely sorry to hear of your accident! I guess we can be thankful that you were finally able to summons some help and, albeit that they took you to the "wrong" hospital, they were still able to offer assistance before anything worse happened. Glad to hear you're back home!:) You take care of yourself and I wish you a swift and complete recovery! I'll put in a good word with the Master Carpenter up Yonder!:) :cool:

Ted Calver
03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
John,
Everyone's worst nightmare! Working alone on a job and getting seriously injured. Thank goodness your cell finally worked. Here's hoping you heal real fast and get right back at it safely!!
Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2005, 10:25 PM
John....sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you'll have a speedy recovery! Tell you better half that a new tool would speed the recovery and it would be physcial therapy that you'll need following the surgery! :D

Jim Dunn
03-14-2005, 10:56 PM
And I thought my back surgery was a real pain, well it was and is, but this is the pits. John, I look forward to your fast recovery. Good luck and take care to listen to the doctors when they tell you not to do to much to soon. Now if I could just listen to my own advice:)

Terry Hatfield
03-14-2005, 11:00 PM
John,

I am so very sorry to hear of this. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Terry

Jerry Olexa
03-15-2005, 12:03 AM
John so sorry to hear of your incident. Wow I guess it could've been worse but you had a close call. Take care, rest and heal...

Steve Clardy
03-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident John. Do rest as much as possible. May you heal quickly.

Ian Barley
03-15-2005, 4:06 AM
John

Hope you get better soon. Take the time that you need to heal. I know that it is tough to be inactive but if you don't heal properly now you could have ill effects for a very long time.

Bryan Nuss
03-15-2005, 6:26 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, John! I know what its like to lose the use of your left hand/arm for a while. I am right-handed and went through about 3 weeks of not being much able to use my right hand after carpal tunnel surgery about 15 years ago. When you go to the bathroom, you find out who your real friends are!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-15-2005, 8:25 AM
John,

When I cut a tennon in my thumb, I was told the same thing, come back in 3 or 4 days. Like you it was my first surgery. It is a scarry thing!

I am glad to hear that someone was watching over you that day. It could have easily been worse and I am glad to hear that it wasn't.

Good luck in your recovery!

John Pollman
03-15-2005, 8:43 AM
When you go to the bathroom, you find out who your real friends are!
LOL !!:D

Thanks guys, it's going to take time but actually last night for the first time since surgery I've noticed improvement. I've got a long road ahead but I'm trying to put a positive spin on the situation. I'm 41 years old and know I was not in nearly the shape I should have been in for my age. When it comes time for physical therapy, I plan on taking advantage of the pain and work through it to end up being BETTER than I was before.

Bryan,
that's the truth ! :)
That aspect has been one of the toughest so far to overcome but I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Thanks again to all

John

David Wilson
03-15-2005, 9:00 AM
JOhn
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope all turns out well.

Jim Becker
03-15-2005, 9:24 AM
"OUCH!!!!!!!" (I'm sure you have more graphic thoughts about that!!)

Seriously, I hope you heal quickly. Accidents happen so fast, yet recovering from them sometimes take time. Do take that time as the end result will be better health for you.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
"OUCH!!!!!!!" (I'm sure you have more graphic thoughts about that!!)

Seriously, I hope you heal quickly. Accidents happen so fast, yet recovering from them sometimes take time. Do take that time as the end result will be better health for you.
This is the best advice you have received. I injured my shoulder in high school (6 years ago) and I didn't give it the time to heal. You know, stubborn football player can't miss a game. Well long story short I didn't have surgery on it and now that I didn't, the options are much more difficult. So I have pain it it every day.

Physical Therapy is a pain, (sometimes literaly) but stick with it, you will be glad you did!

Lou Morrissette
03-15-2005, 10:23 AM
John,

I can relate to your situation. I fell off a ladder while working on my camp in the woods with no neighbors or cell phone. Pretty scary stuff. Hope the therapy works out and get well soon.

Lou

Charlie Knauer
03-18-2005, 8:16 PM
John, positive atitude is the best medicine. I broke my left knee cap (patella) on 12/16/04 at work. Tried to drive myself to hospital and realized I needed an ambulance. My BIL is an ortho at the hospital I was taken to and said I would be out 6 mos to a year after 2 surgeries I went back to work on 2/21. I cant do everything I could before but it is coming back. Go to therapy it works. Today at therapy I was told that my attitude had a lot to do with a fast recovery. John you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Charlie