PDA

View Full Version : Spalting in the compost pile?

Rob Cunningham
01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
While turning the compost pile the other day a thought popped into my head. Would this be a good environment to get some spalting started on a few pieces if I bury them in the pile? It's warm and moist. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Marty Eargle
01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
I have limited experience with spalting, but I could only imagine that a compost heap would be a good place to, at least, get the process started. You may have to pay more attention to the wood than you would if you just through it in a trash bag with some leaves and what not. Wouldn't want rot to start too fast.

Greg Just
01-13-2012, 1:11 PM
I tried this last summer with a few roughed out bowls and it worked very well. I tested a couple of pieces after a couple of months and put them back as the spalting did not go very deep. In total, I think they were in the mulch pile about 3 months total. A lot of that is temperature dependent. If you turn your compost frequently, heat is not an issue. There is no need to spalt an entire log when you are just going to turn most of it away.

Dan Hintz
01-13-2012, 1:24 PM
Yeah, I would have thought the temps too high for spalting in a properly-operating compost heap...

Mike Cruz
01-13-2012, 2:29 PM
What if I put roughed out bowls in my manuer pile? That's gotta add lots of cool colors to the wood! Maybe some uncool smells, though...:rolleyes:

Sid Matheny
01-13-2012, 2:41 PM
What if I put roughed out bowls in my manuer pile? That's gotta add lots of cool colors to the wood! Maybe some uncool smells, though...:rolleyes:

No just send them to me, I know people around here that still have out houses I can put them in...:eek:

Sid

Michael Menzli
01-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Rob I dont think this will work entirely..again what do I know. I would think the temperatures reached in a good pile would prevent or kill the process..you dont need a ton of heat in my experience..heck ive noticed some spalting even in oct-nov with 50 deg weather.I would also think that different bacteria are involved and this process may rob your compost of necessary workers...wood takes a lot of energy to break down ime. My easiest experience has been the do little to nothing..keep the logs somewhat covered with wet leaves and in contact with the ground. If you can find some rotting wood that should help. I have had great luck breaking off mushrooms/rot fungi (with gloves) crushing them up and smash them all over another piece of wood. These look like white or purple shelf mushrooms. Ive also found dead mans finger ..creepy black looking fingers at the base of trees..