PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4100-G Table Saw

jack reynolds
01-13-2012, 9:50 AM
Anyone use this saw? I recently bought it but haven't taken it out of the box so I was just checking to see if what you guys thought before I took it out of the box and can't return it! Thanks

Von Bickley
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Jack,
I went to a friend's shop one day. He had 3 tablesaws set-up to use. He had a Craftsman, a Delta Cabinet Saw, and a Bosch 4100.

He was using the Bosch..... That says it all.

Mikail Khan
01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I had the orginal Bosch 4100. Very nice machine. You won't be disappointed.

MK

Neil Brooks
01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not certain what the "G" is, but ....

I've got the 4100 with

In and outfeed extensions
Digital rip fence
Incra 1000SE miter gauge
Forrest Woodworker blade
It's a VERY nice saw. But it is what it is. It's like saying that a Toyota Camry is a very nice car.

But it won't ever be a Lexus.

Specifically:

1) Small table, meaning … limited capacity—particularly on the infeed side, making it harder to feed bigger boards, or even to use my crosscut sled without support.

2) Not powerful. Not WEAK, mind you, but … you NEED a good blade, the right tooth-count blade, and to think a lot about feed rates. With 3hp and 5hp cabinet saws … that’s much less of an issue..

3) The Bosch has a very good fence, but … when I check out cabinet saws with TRULY good fences, they are beefy, they are stable, they do NOT deflect, and they are accurate.

4) My Bosch weighs about—Idunno—90 pounds-ish ? It’s hard to get really good accuracy with a saw that likes to dance with you, a bit. A cabinet saw weighs … maybe 300 to maybe 700 pounds, plus ? You say “Sit !” They sit.

5) Dust collection. Mine has a 2-1/2” port and a LOT of open spaces (that could be closed, but ….). Dust collection is mediocre, but … for a jobsite saw … not the priority. The ability to put an overhead DC guard and 4” pipe into the cabinet, and have much better dust collection … is worth something to me.

But I've built "fine furniture" on my 4100, and had no great difficulty. I'm upgrading to a cabinet saw, though. For me ... it's time.

Good luck !

glenn bradley
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
It is probably one of the finer jobsite saws made. In its class it is very well received. Don't compare apples to oranges and you should be very happy with its performance.

frank shic
01-13-2012, 4:03 PM
never liked the fence on the bosch table saws. i prefer the dewalt rack and pinion system or something beefier like the one ridgid has.

Van Huskey
01-13-2012, 4:43 PM
It is one of if not the best job site saw, if that is what you need then perfect. If you are planning to use it in the shop there are obviously better options. It and the stand are usually about $600 and for $300 more you can get the Grizzly G0715P which is a LOT more saw not to mention what you can get in the used market. I would also take a hard look at the Ridgid 4512 for $499 at Home Depot I would prefer it just based on weight/stability.