PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Grinder & Wolverine Question

Thomas Heck
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Just got the woodcraft slow speed grinder. I haven't ordered the wolverine yet, but will probably in the next few days. How high do I need to raise the grinder off the bench top? Do you all mount the spark shields on the grinder or are they in the way? Pics would be good if you have any of your set ups. Thanks,

Derek Gilmer
01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Just got the woodcraft slow speed grinder. I haven't ordered the wolverine yet, but will probably in the next few days. How high do I need to raise the grinder off the bench top? Do you all mount the spark shields on the grinder or are they in the way? Pics would be good if you have any of your set ups. Thanks,
My guards are off and I have a piece of 3/4" mdf under the grinder to raise it up to the right height. The wolverine manual shows the height you need from the base of the wolverine bars to the center of the grinder wheel.

Tom Winship
01-13-2012, 8:58 AM
+1 on the 3/4".

Rich Aldrich
01-13-2012, 9:08 AM
Check out this link. It should be the instructions for the wolverine grinding jig.

http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/GJ%20Instructions%20update%20January%202010.pdf

Doug Herzberg
01-13-2012, 9:46 AM
Just did mine last night. For me 5/8" plywood put it right in the middle of the recommended range. One problem I had is with the rubber feet off, the screws are too long to hold the metal plate onto the bottom of the base. I mounted the spark shields, but they're in the way and feel cheap.

Thomas Heck
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was getting ready to order the wolverine. Is this probably all I need? I can't find the vari grind on the woodcraft website. this is from crafts supllies usa. I think it is around 152. 95 with free shipping I think. Complete Wolverine Sharpening SystemIncludes Basic System, Vari-Grind Jig and Diamond Wheel Dresser.
Grinder not included

Derek Gilmer
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was getting ready to order the wolverine. Is this probably all I need? I can't find the vari grind on the woodcraft website. this is from crafts supllies usa. I think it is around 152. 95 with free shipping I think. Complete Wolverine Sharpening System

Includes Basic System, Vari-Grind Jig and Diamond Wheel Dresser.
Grinder not included

Yep, you don't need the wheel dresser. I got a $9 from woodcraft that works well enough by hand.

Steve Busey
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I got a used Wolverine jig a couple years ago, but no docs. Just mounted my new Woodcraft slow grinder last night on the old platform, which is two 1/2" plywood boards. Seems to work fine. As for the glass shields - what's the point of those, exactly?? The sparks shoot downward, not up. I can't figure out what those guards would be protecting me from. (so, I left them off)

Dan Kralemann
01-13-2012, 1:40 PM
I do not use the spark shield when I'm grinding. I do put it in front of the wheel that I am NOT using to protect my arm from going into it as I concentrate and move around the tool that I am sharpening. I had a bite taken out of my arm once when the shield was not in front of the wheel that was not being used.

Thomas Heck
01-13-2012, 2:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I can mount them and move them out of the way.

Brian Tymchak
01-13-2012, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was getting ready to order the wolverine. Is this probably all I need? I can't find the vari grind on the woodcraft website.

It's not called Vari-Grind on the Woodcraft site, for whatever reason. Here's the link - http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001998/2511/Turners-FingernailSide-Grinding-Jig.aspx

Actually, that is the original vari-grind. There is a Vari-Grind2 as well.

Harry Robinette
01-13-2012, 4:41 PM
You want the original Vari-grind I haven't heard of anyone that likes the 2. The clear shields do help keep the junk from the wheels from getting in your face. The spark arresters I use they keep hot sparks from coming around and burning your hand.I been using this set-up for around 12 years now and haven't had any problems from things getting in the way.All of the stuff is for safety and I do try to work safe.

Lee Koepke
01-13-2012, 4:44 PM
I just bought one on Wed !!!! Set it up and sadly, havent needed to sharpen anything yet ..... (I try to sharpen my gouges before I close up shop for the weekend). Looking forward to it, $89 was too good to pass up!

Thomas Heck
01-13-2012, 4:48 PM
I ordered it from Crafts Supplies usa. I was able to the the wolveine system, vari grind, and diamond wheel dresser or 152.95 shipped to door. And the wolverine and vari grind were going to be 145 plus I would have had to buy a wheel dresser and shipping. Thanks again for all the help.