PDA

View Full Version : Creative solution

Paul Phillips
01-12-2012, 8:07 PM
Thought maybe this might be of benefit to someone in a similar circumstance. I had a client that wanted a plaque for a golf tournament, 2-day turnaround, no problem right? He wanted a photo on ceramic tile. I haven't done much with photos yet but I've done a few signs with Cermark and I read the forums often so I'm pretty sure with some trial and error I can do it. Fortunately I have a Photoshop Guru, I show him the "Gold method", (thanks Rodney) and we have a working photo in about 30 minutes with some testing on painted acrylic. I run to Home Depot for some 12"x12" solid white tile and there's none to be had, Lowes, nothing, 3 tile stores later, apparently no one stocks it but can have it here by Friday, no good, now what am I going to do? The painted acrylic looked good but this has to be a fairly tough sign so I thought why not just do it in reverse on the backside of some non-glare acrylic, so I sprayed some white Krylon on 1/8" non-glare, lasered the image, then sprayed black Krylon over that to achieve the final result. It took me a couple tries to get it right, 1st time was too deep/dark(my ULS settings using 1 60w tube-40p, 80s, 500ppi), 2nd was too shallow/light(20p,80s,500ppi), but now I could see where I needed to be so I started with the light setting and ended up doing 2 passes, maybe not perfect but good enough for what they wanted. The client was very happy with it.
I thought I would share this since I don't think I've seen it done very often and it's a fairly cheap easy way to do a photo image IMO.
Some other lessons I learned along the way. Flat paints tend to dry faster than glossy paints. Several light coats of paint are always better than one heavy coat, some technique is important here because you want the coat to lay-out as even as possible, if you get uneven streaks of paint it will translate to the lasered image. Let paint dry for at least a few minutes between coats, heat/fan helps. For the second color, lots of very light coats, if you go too heavy with a solvent based paint on acrylic you could potentially "craze" or crack the acrylic, also you have the potential to lift the previous color of paint, especially if you put it on too thick and didn't let it dry properly! (this is why doing the first coat right is important)
Hope someone can use this to success.
Paul

Curt Stallings
01-12-2012, 9:18 PM
Man, you really nailed it. I'll have to try it. Thanks

Curt

Dee Gallo
01-12-2012, 9:45 PM
Excellent description of your technique, Paul, and very nice results too! This is the kind of thing that really shows the versatility of the laser... more than one way to skin a cat.

Cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
01-13-2012, 7:14 AM
I like to use glass with this technique... it's more forgiving using extra power to get through a possibly uneven coat of paint.

Nicely done!

Mike Null
01-13-2012, 7:52 AM
Thanks for posting. Good tips about paint--several light coats!

Paul Phillips
01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Dan, I hadn't thought of using glass but I can see where it would be an easier solution for this particular process, I just had to use what I had available and make it work. I will get some glass and try it though.
Thanks,
Paul

Dan Hintz
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Here's one of mine from a couple of years ago...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123614-Since-everyone-is-doing-glass

Peter Watz
01-21-2012, 2:32 PM
" I show him the "Gold method", (thanks Rodney)"

I'm quite new to this site, actually this is my first post here... ;-)
But I have used a lot of hours skimming through the forums and I've noticed that Rodney is a man of many skills.
I am not able to recall reading about the "gold method", could you please direct me to where i can find it?

Very impressive photograving in the picture, and I'm "dying" to learn how to do it for my self.
Particularly impressed by the reverse engraving of a "grayscale" photo on acrylic.

(Please excuse my english, its not my native language)

Regards, Peter