PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain woes

Jason scot
01-12-2012, 5:10 PM
I'm very new to turning and am having problems with clean cuts in green endgrain. I've been working with dry stock in flat form for a good many years, however green wood is a whole new monster. I am sure that there is some simple solution to this, however it has thus far eluded me. Any and all suggestions welcome, I will say that it happens even with freshly sharpened tools

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2012, 5:51 PM
Jason - Welcome to the Creek! It would help us a lot if you could be a little more descriptive as to what it is you are having a problem turning. Also - if you go to your Settings (top right of page) you can list where you are located and we just might have a Creeker close by that can assist!

Jason scot
01-12-2012, 6:31 PM
Location fixed,sorry about that. As far as the specifics of my issue I can't seem to get clean cuts with my bowl gouge in endgrain. I have sharpened the gouge, taken care to ride the bevel, turned the flute in the direction of the cut, everything I can think of, and still end up with fuzzy endgrain cuts while the portion of the bowl running with the grain cuts clean. It does seem more pronounced on the inside of the bowl, however it is still apparent on the outside

Roger Chandler
01-12-2012, 7:18 PM
Location fixed,sorry about that. As far as the specifics of my issue I can't seem to get clean cuts with my bowl gouge in endgrain. I have sharpened the gouge, taken care to ride the bevel, turned the flute in the direction of the cut, everything I can think of, and still end up with fuzzy endgrain cuts while the portion of the bowl running with the grain cuts clean. It does seem more pronounced on the inside of the bowl, however it is still apparent on the outside

Jason........

You are not too far from me........if you would like, send me a PM and we can set up a time to meet and I will try to give you some one on one instruction...........I live about an hour from you, and remember on the 3rd Saturday our club has a hands on session, where you can get on a lathe with an experienced turner to help you. It meets in Mt. Jackson.......about 30 minutes from you right on route 11. PM me if interested in either!

Roger Chandler
01-12-2012, 7:22 PM
For end grain, you can help yourself a lot by going from the center out to the edge with a pull cut.........you are limited with a bowl gouge for end grain, but you can do it some and use scrapers as well........I would be glad to help you if you like.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-12-2012, 9:12 PM
Wow Jason, What an offer from Roger. Go for it. That kind of education is a big shortcut to experience.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2012, 9:34 PM
Welcome Jason. Sounds like a plan and would definitely take Roger up on his offer.

David E Keller
01-12-2012, 9:41 PM
I'd take Roger up on his offer, too. What kind of wood are you having trouble with? Some woods are pretty tough(cottonwood comes to mind) to cut cleanly on the end grain. Sometimes soaking the area in question with your finish of choice(oil) or shellac will stiffen the fibers enough for a light cleanup cut... You can also use distilled water, but you'll obviously have to wait for the piece to dry out before finishing.

Another tip would be to use a shear scrape or shear cut with a gouge or scraper for final cuts... Roger will be able to show you both of those if you don't already have them in your arsenal.

Last thought, make sure you're cutting with the grain rather than against the grain... For a side grain bowl form, that would be from large to small diameter on the inside of the bowl and from small to large on the outside of the bowl.

Bob Rotche
01-13-2012, 8:06 AM
I have found that soaking the area with oil (assuming you are going to use an oil finish) really helps. That and really light cuts with a freshly sharpened tool. Agree with Doc Keller on the shear scraping as well.