PDA

View Full Version : First Goblet

Will Winder
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I've been wanting to try my hand at a goblet for a long time and was finally presented with a blank about the right size.

This is a one piece goblet and hollowing the cup was a royal pain. Part way down the stem I decided to try adding some captive rings which is another first for me - next time I'll make the rings much larger.

I finished the cup last night and left it to sit overnight on the lathe covered in a plastic bag filled with wet shavings. This morning I finished the stem/base. After taking a couple pictures I put it back in the plastic bag, hopefully it wont twist too much.

If anyone has pointers or critiques I could really use them, especially for the end grain hollowing and drying techniques.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Impressed! That's all I can think of, really, then follows... How come he made captive rings on his FIRST goblet? I've made 3 or 4, and still haven't got the nerve to try them yet! Well done Will!

As for the end grain hollowing, I try and make a pull cut, from the centre to the edge (thereby cutting downhill) to make the top diameter to one I'm happy with, then start cutting downhill, to get depth. I tend to use a scraper to finish off, in both directions, although I'm not sure if this is the technically correct procedure!

Drying - well, there you have me, I've saved two, and split two, can't say what happened to either that split, but may be moving them into the house too quickly was the problem... Could be shake in the branch wood, or wood was too green...

Jim Burr
01-12-2012, 3:49 PM
The only thing I would suggest is a tad wider base. I've made dozens of glass/wood sets and eveyone always want a wider base. It seems the more times the glass is filled, the more unstable it becomes

John Keeton
01-12-2012, 6:23 PM
It seems the more times the glass is filled, the more unstable it becomesNow, that there is funny!!!:D

Will, from just an aesthetic viewpoint, the goblet is very attractive and the base seems proportionate. If it is to be functional, Jim may have a good point. You certainly did some nice work on it, and you are one goblet ahead of me!! At least, a one piece goblet. I have done a few, but all with separate stems/pedestals.

Allan Ferguson
01-12-2012, 7:16 PM
I have turned mine with dry wood, turned sq to round, then bored a large hole into the end to depth wanted, use radius scraper to shape the inside, then turned the outside to follow the inside shape to the thickness desired, proceeded to the stem and finished with the base. Looks like you have done well.