PDA

View Full Version : Light switch for cabinet drawers?

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2005, 6:12 PM
OK...help me out here folks. I'm working on the interior of an entertainment center modification and I need to know what kind and where to get swicthes that will turn on a small light mounted inside a drawer when the drawer is pulled open. I would like to mout the switch behind the drawer so that when the drawer is closed, the light goes off.

Idears and suggestions welcomed.

Ken Garlock
03-14-2005, 7:16 PM
Dennis, it think this is what you want, a momentary normally closed push button switch, like the one I found at Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F002&product%5Fid=275%2D1548) The only reservation I have about it is that the travel distance of the push button might a a little short to assure that the light is out, IE, you need to have the drawer completely closed.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2005, 7:21 PM
Dennis....check with some of the electrical supply places. They make a switch that has an arm and the end of the arm has a roller on it. I'll see if I can find one online and get the info for you.

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2005, 7:23 PM
Dennis, it think this is what you want, a momentary normally closed push button switch, like the one I found at Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F015%5F002&product%5Fid=275%2D1548) The only reservation I have about it is that the travel distance of the push button might a a little short to assure that the light is out, IE, you need to have the drawer completely closed.

Ken,

I checked with the local RS and is No Dice Dude!!!! If I wanted an item for home alarm systems then they would have it...Thanks for the tip and if push comes to shove....I'll have to go online somewhere.

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2005, 7:25 PM
Dennis....check with some of the electrical supply places. They make a switch that has an arm and the end of the arm has a roller on it. I'll see if I can find one online and get the info for you.

Ken,

I hear what you are saying and I think I know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, the local electronics places are not into Parts....but whole items for sale. I looked online today but didn't really know what to search on since I don't know the technical word they call this type of switch. I'll see what you come up with. :rolleyes:

Steve Jenkins
03-14-2005, 7:27 PM

Dennis you can find a microswitch like Ken mentioned at Radioshack or any electronic supply place. You want a normally closed switch.I think it would be best to mount the switch so it contacts the side of the drawer when you close it. That way you don't have to worry about the switch interfering with the drawer closing properly.

Steve Jenkins
03-14-2005, 7:28 PM
Ken,

I hear what you are saying and I think I know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, the local electronics places are not into Parts....but whole items for sale. I looked online today but didn't really know what to search on since I don't know the technical word they call this type of switch. I'll see what you come up with. :rolleyes:
How many do you need and what size light are you planning on using. I can take a look at a surplus house not too far from the shop tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Ted Shrader
03-14-2005, 7:30 PM
Dennis -

Check this site for a roller switch: http://www.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=568&x=Unimax%20HBS2KCS

Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2005, 7:37 PM
Dennis....send me a pm with you home email address. If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader....I have a pdf file of the type of switch from Mouser electronics.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2005, 7:43 PM
Dennis....mouser...cherry (switch manufacturer) refers to the switches as Miniature or sub-miniature snap action switches. They have a levered arm with a roller on the end.

Fred Chan
03-14-2005, 8:42 PM
How about using refridgerator door light switches?

Ken Garlock
03-14-2005, 8:43 PM
Well, I was going to post this about an hour ago, but I got the dinner call :o

For a large variety of micro switches, check Mouser Electronics (http://www.mouser.com/catalog/621/994.pdf) They have a large selection of quality parts, and will sell single units to anyone, no minimums :cool: The page that the prior link goes to is in their catalog (PDF file) and will take you to a page with something you can use. I would visualize mounting a normally closed (NC in the catalog) as Steve Jenkins suggested along side the drawer near the back. When the drawer is opened it allows the switch to return to its normal position of closed, thus operating the light. When you push the drawer shut, it presses the arm on the switch, thus breaking the connection. You might want to mount a wedge on the side of the drawer as a "runway" for the switch arm to ride.

Tony Falotico
03-14-2005, 8:54 PM
Dennis, another place you can try is McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ try catalog page 834.

Jim Becker
03-14-2005, 9:28 PM
Dennis, the roller switch mounted at the back to catch the back of the drawer when closed is what I would use...and low voltage lighting, too.

Dennis Peacock
03-15-2005, 1:13 AM
How many do you need and what size light are you planning on using. I can take a look at a surplus house not too far from the shop tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Steve,

I only need 2 of the switches. I am using ballbearing drawer slides and that's only 1/2" on each side if the switches need to be mounted on the side. The switches will operate a small light mounted to the under side of the drawer opening so that the light comes on when the drawer is opened so the customer can see/read CD or DVD labels while in the drawer. I have more room at the back of the drawer if needed.

Rob Russell
03-15-2005, 8:02 AM
Dennis,

Custom Service Hardware came to mind. CSH wiring stuff (http://www.cshardware.com/wiring.htm) . Item 77.32 may do what you want, and it's simple plug in stuff.

Rob

John Miliunas
03-15-2005, 8:07 AM
Dennis, yeah, but in the end, just like the fridge, are you absolutely *sure* that the light is "off" when the drawer is closed?:D (Sorry...couldn't resist! It's early...not enough java yet.):) :cool:

Bob Winkler
03-15-2005, 8:14 AM
Dennis,

I manage an electronics lab and we have microswitches of various types that would work for your application. If you send me a PM with your home address I can get a couple of switches to you in the mail. Let me know.

Bob

Mike Circo
03-15-2005, 2:49 PM
Rockler has a switch that is quoted to be exactly for this purpose.

(no connection with Rockler, etc.)

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=5239&filter=switch

Dennis Peacock
03-15-2005, 3:00 PM
Dennis,

I manage an electronics lab and we have microswitches of various types that would work for your application. If you send me a PM with your home address I can get a couple of switches to you in the mail. Let me know.

Bob

Done..!!! Thank you Bob!!!! :D

Carl Eyman
03-15-2005, 9:15 PM
You may find that the type of magnetic reed switched used in burglar alarms. may work. You have a small cylinder and a magnet. When the cylinder is removed from the magnetic field the switch either opens or closes. These are good for low voltage operations, but can be safely used in high voltage ones with the use of relays. These are used to detect an open window, door, etc.

Dave Richards
03-16-2005, 1:50 PM
Dennis, here's another source for switches. You could buy a couple of refrigerators and take the switches out them. :D :D How will you know if the light turns off when the drawers are closed?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The attached picture is of a switch that would work. You could position it so that it runs along a drawer side or is in the back of the cabinet. Make sure you get one that is normally closed (NC) because you want the switch to open the circuit when the arm is depressed.

Steve Jenkins
03-16-2005, 2:07 PM
Dennis< I've been wondering what the light is going to do for you. If it is in the cabinet how will it illuminate the drawer when the drawer is opened all the way? I know there is something I'm not seeing.

Bob Winkler
03-16-2005, 2:31 PM
Dave, the switches I sent Dennis are very similar and have both NC and NO contacts available. They are also rated for 125V, as long as caution is taken to insulate the terminals. Heat shrink would work well here, but electrical tape would be ok.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2005, 5:55 PM
Dennis< I've been wondering what the light is going to do for you. If it is in the cabinet how will it illuminate the drawer when the drawer is opened all the way? I know there is something I'm not seeing.

Steve,

It's what the customer wanted. :rolleyes: I try to give them what they want, but in this case....it just doesn't make sense to me. :confused: :D