PDA

View Full Version : Gift of Cherry Burl !!

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I came home from running some errands Tuesday to find this box sitting on my doorstep… Had no idea what it could be because I had not ordered anything lately!

Opened the box to find a letter from fellow Creeker, Jerry Bruette (out of Peshtigo, WI), saying that he had been clearing out some shooting lanes the week before and came across this Cherry Burl. Jerry is not a turner (yet!) and didn’t know of any local turners, so thought I might be able to use it!
219436 219437 219438

WOW! I sure appreciate it Jerry! I sealed the ends with anchorseal and when I get the chance to turn it – I will be sure to post the results!

Just wanted to share!!

Thanks Jerry!!

Bill Bolen
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
What a great "non turning" friend! Glad he recognized it for what it is and got it to someone who can do it proud! Congrat's Steve!

Tim Rinehart
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Nice size chunk'a cherry burl! Look forward to that one all turned and ready to go out on the town!

Ken Glass
01-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Steve,
What a nice gift. I am looking forward to how/what you turn from this one. Be sure to post at different stages too. Way to go.

Scott Hackler
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
That is WAY too small for a monster lathe......I happen to know someone with a lot smaller lathe......in Kansas....I know the turner.....very well.... :)

That's a great surprise. I am sure you will a gem out of it.

John Keeton
01-12-2012, 6:26 PM
Steve, congrats on the burl!! That appears to be just about perfect for the forms you enjoy doing! Hopefully, the pith running through the middle won't cause too many issues.

Jerry Bruette
01-12-2012, 7:48 PM
I came home from running some errands Tuesday to find this box sitting on my doorstep… Had no idea what it could be because I had not ordered anything lately!

Opened the box to find a letter from fellow Creeker, Jerry Bruette (out of Peshtigo, WI), saying that he had been clearing out some shooting lanes the week before and came across this Cherry Burl. Jerry is not a turner (yet!) and didn’t know of any local turners, so thought I might be able to use it!
219436 219437 219438

WOW! I sure appreciate it Jerry! I sealed the ends with anchorseal and when I get the chance to turn it – I will be sure to post the results!

Just wanted to share!!

Thanks Jerry!!

Actually I am a turner ,well sort of, I turned a lamp in wood shop in high school. But that was many years ago, and no I won't post a picture for fear you'd flood your keyboard with tears of laughter. I do remember it as being alot of fun though so who knows maybe some day.....

Jerry

Baxter Smith
01-12-2012, 7:54 PM
Congrats Steve on the great gift. Looks like a nice chunk. Hope there is not too much wildlife inside!

David E Keller
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
You need to step up your game, Steve... If you're truly in the vortex, you should wonder which of the things you've ordered has landed on your porch! When you find out that it's none of the umpteen things you've purchased, you get even more excited knowing that you've just gotten a great bonus! Seriously, nice looking wood and a great gesture... I'd hurry up and turn it before Jerry rekindles his turning fire!

David DeCristoforo
01-12-2012, 10:35 PM
If I squint at it real hard, I can just make out a hollow form...