PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Indexing Question

Tom Winship
01-12-2012, 8:59 AM
Needed to mark a turning yesterday with 12 equally spaced points. So I put a pin in one of the holes on the headstock adjacent to the shaft and marked my first point. Pulled the pin, rotated the shaft to next hole, reinserted the pin, and made the second mark. Repeated for 12 points.
My question is, what are the other holes? Are they to create more/less divisions by moving the hole you insert the pin in each time?

Dennis Ford
01-12-2012, 9:08 AM
You are exactly right.

dan carter
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
If you are referring to a Powermatic 3520B, Page 28 of the operating manual shows a chart with the different indexing possibilities. Can send you the operating manual if you wish. pm if you want me to send to the manual.

Tom Winship
01-12-2012, 4:43 PM
If you are referring to a Powermatic 3520B, Page 28 of the operating manual shows a chart with the different indexing possibilities. Can send you the operating manual if you wish. pm if you want me to send to the manual.

No, Dan this is a Jet 1236. It only has 2 holes in the outside and 12 on the shaft. So, I would think you could do 3, 6, 12 and maybe 24. I'm going to take a look.
Thanks