PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet End Panels with Pre-finished Plywood

Jim German
01-12-2012, 8:49 AM
I posted this question over in the projects forum, but didn't get much of a response, so I figured I'd ask here instead.

I'm building some cabinets for my Office, and was planning on using pre-finished plywood. However a few of the cabinet ends will show, and with the face frames and doors being made out of Cherry, I didn't know what the best way was to make the ends match. Veneering cherry over the prefinished plywood doesn't sound like a good idea, should I just make a panel up out of solid cherry for the ends? Or make the ends out of Cherry plywood, and then just have the insides not match?

The project thread with pictures and such can be found here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179480-Office-Cabinets

Randy Henry
01-12-2012, 8:57 AM
I've done this on several kitchens, get 1/4" cherry ply and glue it to the outside. I use a pin nailer to secure it while the glue sets up.

scott vroom
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Unless you're building clear glass doors for display, I wouldn't be concerned if the inside of the end panel doesn't match the pre-finished interior. You should design your cabinets for the way you want them to look on the outside.

You might find this helpful: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179397-Cabinet-End-Panels-and-Racking-Best-Practice

Good luck and post pics!

Sam Layton
01-12-2012, 6:46 PM
On all of my cabinets I have pre finished ply for the interior. For the ends of the cabinets I have flat panels. The flat panels are constructed like the doors are. So, the end panels have stiles, rails, and panel, flat or raised, what ever you like. The end panel stile is attached to the face frame. On the end of the cabinet, I have pre finished maple ply on the inside, and what ever my cabinets are on the outside. I don't like any ply showing on the outside of the cabinets.

Sam

Jim German
01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Great, fastening some 1/4" ply will work out well then. My doors are just going to be slabs so that will match with them.

Another question, for drawers is it better to use pre-finished ply or solid popular?

Sam Layton
01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Depends on what you want. I like maple drawers. Bb ply makes nice drawers as well.

scott vroom
01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I make my cabinet drawers from maple (solid sides, plywood bottom).

Paul Incognito
01-13-2012, 1:44 PM
I generally use poplar if I'm building dovetailed drawer boxes and plywood if they're nailed together. 1/4" plywood for the bottom of either.
Paul

Randy Henry
01-13-2012, 1:52 PM
I use either soft or hard maple for the drawers, with 1/4" white melemine for the bottom. It makes it bright and it is easy to keep clean.