PDA

View Full Version : miter saws don't line up with stands????

Deuce Lee
01-12-2012, 6:47 AM
ok guys,

i bought a stand for my dad's 10" ridgid miter saw a couple years ago. The stupid holes (front and back) are not exactly straight. What i mean is the four holes that are suppose to line up with the brackets are more like a Isosceles Trapezoid instead of a perfect rectangle. It is very close to a rectangle but not perfect. I made it work by screwing around with it but it's not perfect.

I just picked up a makita LS0714 and a stand for it. SAME DARN THING!

is this something that's typical? if so, how do you guys deal with it? If you line the rear holes up perfectly, both of the front holes are off by1/8-3/16" or so. Should I just drill a bigger area in the bracket for the saw?

thoughts?

Gary Kman
01-12-2012, 7:49 AM
If you didn't need a cutting torch and welder, I want one like it.

Rich Engelhardt
01-12-2012, 8:23 AM
I mount all my miter saws and a few other "portable" tools on a piece of 3/4" plywood. - then secure the plywood to the stand(s).

David Lawhorn
01-12-2012, 2:12 PM
What kind of stand is it, one of the aluminum frames with telescoping rails? If it is like mine, there should be mounts that attach your miter saw to the frame and these should allow adjustment to get things aligned.

Kevin W Johnson
01-12-2012, 2:25 PM
Ridgid saw and Makita stand.... I can't imagine the two lining up, nor would I expect them too.

I think the idea of mounting the saw to plywood and then securing it to the stand sounds like a winner. Strategicly sizing the plywood could also allow a good resting place for measuring and making devices if the stand doesn't already provision for this.

Dave Lehnert
01-12-2012, 2:38 PM
I purchased a Ridgid miter saw stand a few years ago for a Craftsman Miter Saw. I did have to drill new holes. Last month I purchased a new Ridgid sliding miter saw and the holes lined up perfect with the factory drilled holes in the miter stand.

Jerome Hanby
01-12-2012, 5:15 PM
I bought the Delta stand for my Delta saw and it never seemed to mount as well as I though it should, has always seemed a little off center as far as front to back is concerned. Works alright though.

Deuce Lee
01-12-2012, 5:34 PM
Ridgid saw and Makita stand.... I can't imagine the two lining up, nor would I expect them too.

I think the idea of mounting the saw to plywood and then securing it to the stand sounds like a winner. Strategicly sizing the plywood could also allow a good resting place for measuring and making devices if the stand doesn't already provision for this.

nope, the ridgid saw was with a generic stand from Menards. my makita saw LS0714 (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS0714-2-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000AU1VJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326407266&sr=8-2) is mated to a Oasis Machinery BST08 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UIGLPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AIXIO4R8WFOSJ) which is very similar to a Dewalt DWX724 at almost 1/2 the price.

Both of these stands are generics...their mounting holes are perfectly parallel with each other. Its the Ridgid saw and the Makita that has the screwed up mounting points. I could force it to line up, but the mounting brackets will be at a slight angle.

I also like Rich's idea with the board as well. thanks for the tip Rich!

Kevin Grady
01-12-2012, 5:54 PM
I bought the Ryobi stand for my Rigid and other than being on the heavy side, it's a great stand. The mounting handles attach to the saw directly (and the holes line up) then have a lever to secure it to the stand. Makes the saw easy to remove and attach.

David Lawhorn
01-12-2012, 8:15 PM
Strange. It sounds like the mounting rails are not as generic as they could be.
I have one of the DeWalt stands, not sure which one, but my old Delta miter saw lines up fine with the adjustments that it allows.

I also think the point of the additional "table" space that a piece of plywood could provide.

Good luck.

Kevin W Johnson
01-12-2012, 8:32 PM
nope, the ridgid saw was with a generic stand from Menards. my makita saw LS0714 (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS0714-2-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000AU1VJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326407266&sr=8-2) is mated to a Oasis Machinery BST08 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UIGLPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AIXIO4R8WFOSJ) which is very similar to a Dewalt DWX724 at almost 1/2 the price.

Both of these stands are generics...their mounting holes are perfectly parallel with each other. Its the Ridgid saw and the Makita that has the screwed up mounting points. I could force it to line up, but the mounting brackets will be at a slight angle.

I also like Rich's idea with the board as well. thanks for the tip Rich!

But generic stands are just that, generic. They aren't guaranteed to fit everything (although they try), just as the Ridgid and Makita saws aren't guaranteed to fit geneic stands, but most likely fit their own brand of stands. Manufacturers have no incentive to make their saws fit other brands of stands, and have every incentive to "help" their saws to not fit other brands of stands so as to be able to sell their own stands.

I don't at all blame you for buying the Oasis, as Dewalt IMHO, is quite overpriced.

Deuce Lee
01-12-2012, 8:52 PM
But generic stands are just that, generic. They aren't guaranteed to fit everything (although they try), just as the Ridgid and Makita saws aren't guaranteed to fit geneic stands, but most likely fit their own brand of stands. Manufacturers have no incentive to make their saws fit other brands of stands, and have every incentive to "help" their saws to not fit other brands of stands so as to be able to sell their own stands.

I don't at all blame you for buying the Oasis, as Dewalt IMHO, is quite overpriced.

they may not be guaranteed to fit every brand, but seriously, why the hell did ridgid or this makita had to have the mounting holes that don't line up? just boggles my mind to be honest...what ever!!! I'm going to go to board mounting route...the more i think about it, the more i like it. screw this BS none-lining up crap

I like david's thoughts of that extra real estate as well...

i LOVE this oasis stand by the way...solid, light as hell (super portable), I didn't get the 5 1/2 feet version cus this one fits in the trunk of my car, very easy to play with, 1/2 the price of the dewalt...what's there not to love? awesome stand!