PDA

View Full Version : Seeking profile for a platter

Norm Zax
01-12-2012, 4:13 AM
Barely made a single platter but would like to make a few now. The shape Im looking for will resemble a regular flat plate (so I can put a few lemons in it) but not deep, like a soup bowl. It will have 75% "plate/holding" area and 25% flat (perhaps slightly slanting upwards, perhpas not) thin rim to be decorated somehow (thickness under 3/16).
Any suggestions for a profile (both upper and lower)?
Thanks for your input.

John Keeton
01-12-2012, 6:47 AM
Norm, this is not a functional platter, though it could be. It may not be what you had in mind, but it is at least one more idea for you. Generally, the foot on a platter is around 40% of the diameter - that is one of the features that distinguishes it from a bowl/plate.

Richard Allen
01-12-2012, 8:04 AM
I like making platters. Working with 3/4" of thickness over as much as a 20" diameter appears to be limiting for design opportunities. I find the options to be wide. I see three places where designs can be made. The rim, the serving area and the rim to serving area boundary.

The serving area should be large enough to hold "stuff". The rim area is a chance to show off the wood if the wood is something you want to show off. If the wood is plane then the rim is a chance to decorate the wood. The shape of the rim is also a place where choices can be made. Flat, slope in, slop out, undulate, cove, bead. The "between" area is an opportunity to do some turning details. Beads, coves...

Here are a few options

Dale Miner
01-12-2012, 8:13 AM
Norm,

You haven't indicated what diameter you will be making, so that has some influence on the rim/bowl ratio. I suggest drawing the dimentsion out full size on paper beforehand to get and idea of what ratio looks attractive. Usually, a 1/4 - 3/4 ratio would appear to have a too small rim, unless the overall diameter is on the smallish side. A ratio closer to 1/3 - 2/3 generally appears more in proportion to me. John has given good advice regarding foot diameter.

Norm Zax
01-13-2012, 2:43 AM
Thanks all!
John - good advise.
Richard - would much apppreciate a side photo of one of the two on the left.
Dale - diameter planned is around a foot max.