PDA

View Full Version : BLM Platter

Kathy Marshall
01-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Marty Eargle sent me a box of wood a few weeks ago, and this was one of the blanks. I think he must have thrown it in there by mistake :eek:
THANK YOU Marty!
Even covered in wax, I knew this was going to be a nice blank, but once I started turning the wax off, I knew it was going to be a Great blank!
This is some of the prettiest wood I've had so far, and I can understand why BLM is one of JK's favorites.
The platter is 9" x 1" with just a coat of BLO so far. I'll let the BLO dry then decide what I want to finish it off with, maybe some WOP. I think I want some shine but not a high gloss.
Pics aren't the best, but I'll get some better ones in the photo tent when the finish in done.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Eric Gourieux
01-12-2012, 1:35 AM
Kathy, beautiful platter. I particularly like the bead on the rim. You did a great job as usual!!

Marty Eargle
01-12-2012, 1:38 AM
Don't worry, Kathy...I have a few identical blanks cut from the same log! I was worried that piece wouldn't be as figured as some of the others but it looks like it's action pack full of goodness. I'm glad you like the piece...I think you did the wood justice. Good form but really something that focused on showing off the wood. So far, my favorite finish for this particular BLM is BLO, WOP, knock off the shine, and then just a slight buff to satin. I think it is a wood that does very well with only a slight shine.

Look forward to seeing a finished photo! : )

Richard Jones
01-12-2012, 5:28 AM
Espléndido !!

Great detail, beautiful form. Gorgeous wood, but without good form, it's just wood.........

Are you a pre-planner or design-as-you-turn type?

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Donny Lawson
01-12-2012, 6:39 AM
Kathy, You do great work and this is another great example.

Michelle Rich
01-12-2012, 6:42 AM
stunning!!!

John Keeton
01-12-2012, 6:42 AM
Kathy, through Marty's generosity, you have discovered one of the delicacies of woodturning!! I suspect Marty acquired this wood from Mike Smith, and it appears to be from the next "slice" just after the removal of the burls from the BLM log. It isn't always that the burls go deep enough to produce this look, but when it does - it is spectacular!! Besides, it is just great wood to turn! Marty is fortunate to have several more!

Great job with the profile, too, and BLO and WOP is my preferred finish for BLM, though I usually throw in a couple coats of shellac to fill the grain a little and I like the added amber tone from the shellac.

When Mike came to KY for the group club buy, there were several of this size blank, and it was really, really difficult not to set all of them aside in my pile! The platter blanks he brought me had no figure at my request, as I wanted them for laser engraving for anniversary platters. Looking at all those figured blanks was soooooo tempting!

Russell Eaton
01-12-2012, 6:48 AM
Kathy that is another beautiful piece. I am going to have to slow down on my part-time work so I can get back to my turning. Thanks for showing.

Tim Rinehart
01-12-2012, 8:31 AM
Kathy, wonderful piece. The pattern looks to me like a volcano with it's plume and perhaps the dark ash to the left? I like the edge treatment. I keep trying to move away from boring edges (easy) and towards something with a little thought at least. Very nice indeed.

Doug W Swanson
01-12-2012, 9:03 AM
Kathy, this is another fine piece from you. The wood looks amazing but you also did a great job on the platter!

Dennis Ford
01-12-2012, 9:07 AM
WOW that is a great platter.

Hayes Rutherford
01-12-2012, 9:11 AM
Great job on an interesting piece of wood.

Bill Embrey
01-12-2012, 9:13 AM
Oh My!!! I keep looking and looking and every time see something else in that piece... what isn't going on with that piece of wood... tiger striping, burl, bark inclusions.. and of course Kathy, you brought out the best of it all... all that can be said is WOW

charlie knighton
01-12-2012, 1:07 PM
very nice, done good

Baxter Smith
01-12-2012, 8:15 PM
Great piece of wood made into a great platter! Great use of that piece of wood Kathy!

Roger Chandler
01-12-2012, 8:19 PM
What figure in that Big leaf Maple............nice job Kathy!

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2012, 9:36 PM
Absolutely beautiful platter and wood.

David E Keller
01-12-2012, 9:58 PM
That's too cool! Either Marty couldn't tell what was in that blank, or he's a heck of a generous guy... I suspect it's the latter.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Superb ...

David DeCristoforo
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Great looking platter. The wood reminds me of those kids books where they are trying to show everything that could possibly be seen (on a farm, in a city, etc") on one page. That's some crazy figure...

Mark Hubl
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Beautiful wood and a very well done form to show it off. Nice job Kathy.

Tom Caldwell
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
What figure in that Big leaf Maple............nice job Kathy!

A beautiful platter indeed. Roger, thanks for interpreting BLM.

Kathy Marshall
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone!
I really do like this chunk of wood, but I need to be careful or the mesquite and sissoo won't be enough for me anymore :eek:.

Espléndido !!

Great detail, beautiful form. Gorgeous wood, but without good form, it's just wood.........

Are you a pre-planner or design-as-you-turn type?

Thanks for sharing.

Rich
I'm more a design-on-the-fly type. I knew this blank would be a platter when I started, but that's the only thing that was pre-planned.
I wish I was better able to visualize a design before I start a turning, but when they were handing out creativity I was at the end of the line.

Kathy, through Marty's generosity, you have discovered one of the delicacies of woodturning!! I suspect Marty acquired this wood from Mike Smith, and it appears to be from the next "slice" just after the removal of the burls from the BLM log. It isn't always that the burls go deep enough to produce this look, but when it does - it is spectacular!! Besides, it is just great wood to turn! Marty is fortunate to have several more!

Great job with the profile, too, and BLO and WOP is my preferred finish for BLM, though I usually throw in a couple coats of shellac to fill the grain a little and I like the added amber tone from the shellac.

When Mike came to KY for the group club buy, there were several of this size blank, and it was really, really difficult not to set all of them aside in my pile! The platter blanks he brought me had no figure at my request, as I wanted them for laser engraving for anniversary platters. Looking at all those figured blanks was soooooo tempting!
I have a feeling Mike may be getting a chunk of my money at San Jose!

That's too cool! Either Marty couldn't tell what was in that blank, or he's a heck of a generous guy... I suspect it's the latter.
I'd have to agree on the latter, a very generous guy!