PDA

View Full Version : New Jet Mini

Jim Barrett
01-11-2012, 9:27 PM
I took a class from Bonnie Klein a few months ago at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking. She mentioned that there was a surplus store in Auburn WA that received Jet/Powermatic machines that had scratch, dents, etc. I called them in October and asked if they had any of the VS Mini lathes....they told me I could go on a wait list...well they called yesterday and I went and picked up a Jet 1014 VSI for $300. It looks and runs fine. They told me the box had been damaged....oh well....guess my gain....so now...
I need "stuff"....tools, sharpening gear, etc...I have a 8" grinder...I know the lathe is the cheap part of this equation, eh? ;)
My goal is to do small things....pens, wine stoppers, tops, etc.....nothing crazy!
Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Jim

David Starks
01-11-2012, 9:37 PM
I had the same plan, do small stuff as you mentioned, then started buying the kits...OUCH! Its all the kit stuff that escalates the cost. That said, I think it will be the place to start.

On advice, I got thompson tools. A little pricier than some maybe, but the quality is supposed to really be up there. Got diff supplies from diff places based on who had what cheaper.