PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing tools?

Anthony Cayll
01-11-2012, 9:11 PM
What hollowing tools do you guys use/recommend? We currently are using Kelton & Don Pencil hollowing tools, which work great, but just don't have the correct bend for some of the shapes we turn. We asked a " professional hollow form turner" the same question, and we were advised by him to change our design to accommodate our tools instead of trying to find different tools to accommodate different shapes. We prefer not to limit our designs, and would rather add tools to accommodate more unique designs. Thanks for your input.

Harry Robinette
01-11-2012, 9:41 PM
Do what I did I put a small machine shop in my wood shop ,When I need a tool I just make one.Really it is nice to be able to modify or make your own tools to do what you wont to do. If you look at most PRO turners they have made there own tools to do their work.
I Have 3 sizes of Kelton, 2 sizes of ring tools, Berger tool, drill bit tool,Woodcut straight and goose neck,Crown covered ring tool goose neck,Sorby Ultima small one and finally made my own Monster like tool with 5 different cutters. So take your pick but remember the hole sizes and neck are what to consider when designing your work and your tools.

Alan Trout
01-11-2012, 9:45 PM
I use a lot of different tools. I use Keltons, monsters, JT's and my own, etc. The Jordan tools ant the Trent Bosch also work well. If you cant find what you need you may just have to make them and that is what I generally do when I am in your position. The JT's allow you a more flexibility in the neck shape but not a super small hole. None of them are perfect.

Good Luck

Alan

Scott Hackler
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a small assortment of various tools for hollowing. For hand hollowing I have a home made tool made from 1/4" drill rod, a set of the small Ben Best (which I use a lot) and a Sorby Hollowmaster. I hated the Hollowmaster until I figured it out (fresh burr, and slightly above center with the bevel ground back more). Now I don't hesitate to use it.

For larger things I use a Carter Hollow Roller w/ their laser set up. My only complaint it the 3/4" boring bar is too darn big for the smaller stuff and although they finially made a smaller 5/8" bar, I can't afford it right now. I am needing this, their 1" bar and hopefully they will make a swan neck bar. Hollowing with a captured system (with a laser) is less stressfull. Expecially for myself who likes to thin it out to 1/8" for weight and to assist with possible piercing. Note that even with this system I hand hollow out the lip and shoulder area, as the tool isn't easy for me to do that area.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-12-2012, 6:17 AM
I use a Rolly Munro II articulated hollower. Requires a little bigger opening than some, however the articulating extensions makes it a very versatile tool.