PDA

View Full Version : steady rest rings

David Dobbs
01-11-2012, 6:33 PM
What size did you guys make your rings on your steady rest? I am going to have my chassis man make me a couple rings. I have a 1642 Jet an a 1220 Jet.

thanks

Dave

Jeff Fagen
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I used a 12" flange ring you can get from a furnace supply for my 46-460 Delta with 12 1/2 in.swing.That would work for your small Jet and you could use a 16" flange for your 1642.

James Combs
01-11-2012, 10:33 PM
What size did you guys make your rings on your steady rest? I am going to have my chassis man make me a couple rings. I have a 1642 Jet an a 1220 Jet.
thanks
Dave

Generally I believe the ID of the ring should be the same as the swing of your lathe. ie your 1642 ring should be 16" and the other one 12". If you are building your own you might want to review this tutorial (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151550-Steady-Rest-Fabrication/page2) on building a homemade steady-rest. Scroll down to post 21 and click on the PDF file. There is also a source link in it for ready made rings(McMaster Carr)

David Dobbs
01-11-2012, 11:22 PM
I was thinking inch per inch would work thanks Guys

Roger Turnbough
01-12-2012, 8:11 AM
Jamie and all,

Not to hijack this thread, but I am getting ready to order the materials for 3 of your steadies from your plans. But my question is, having a 4 support system like you have drawn, does it interfere with a laser attachment? I currently use a Monster hollower, and I know one of the other guys has one as well. I only want to build these three steadies one time. Are there any viable workarounds for the inevitable laser interference?

Thanks for your help guys,

Roger

Sparky Paessler
01-12-2012, 8:33 AM
Roger

I am getting ready to build one of these and I am going to make the arms that can adjust around the rim so that I can move them where I want them. See Jeff Nicol's website on the details of how this works (Thanks Jeff!)

James Combs
01-12-2012, 9:03 PM
Jamie and all,

Not to hijack this thread, but I am getting ready to order the materials for 3 of your steadies from your plans. But my question is, having a 4 support system like you have drawn, does it interfere with a laser attachment? I currently use a Monster hollower, and I know one of the other guys has one as well. I only want to build these three steadies one time. Are there any viable workarounds for the inevitable laser interference?
Thanks for your help guys,
Roger

I see no reason why the arm clamp at the 10:00 position couldn't be made movable. It could be made similar to the platter rest add-on I made for mine. I can bolt the platter rest on when I need it and remove it when I don't. If I had had some preliminary experience with a steady rest using a laser system when I made mine I would probably have designed the 10:00 arm as movable. However, I really don't have a lot of trouble with it interfering with the laser as is but a moveable one would have been nicer.