PDA

View Full Version : Coalial - RG-6 Tools?

Jon McElwain
01-11-2012, 6:20 PM
Okay, so I need to make a few coaxial cables for this and that, and I need a cable stripper and a crimping tool. I am not familiar with the tools or the connectors, and after a trip to the electrical store, I was more confused than when I started - the kid behind the counter didn't really know any more than I do, and the boss was gone.

What type of connectors do I need, what are all the different connections that can be made (BNC, F and RCA connectors to RG59, RG6, and RG6-Quadshield) and what do they mean? Any good explanatory websites you can point me to?

I have been really happy with my Klein tools, but before spending $50 on a crimping tool, I figured I better figure out what exactly I need.

Thanks in advanced,

Jon

glenn bradley
01-11-2012, 7:37 PM
The devices you are making them for will determine the cable type. The documentation for any one of the end devices will spec the cable designation; RG-6,RG-59 or whatever. The connector matches the cable type(s) and the crimp tool (or the more versatile ones) have jaws for the different diameters of the connectors or ferrules to be crimped.

http://www.zianet.com/ebear/coaxlist.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKEvciE5G7c

HTH

Larry Frank
01-11-2012, 8:13 PM
If you are using them for cable TV, I would use either RG-6 or RG-6 quad shield. I have some long runs of cable in my house and have used the quad shield. I would also use the compression type connectors. I have used the Ideal brand connectors and tools and had no issues. I got them at HD. Klein makes very good tools but probably over kill for just making a few cables.

Brian Elfert
01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I believe my kit came from Menards. The kit I bought does do a hex crimp, but rather pushes a round sleeve down inside another round sleeve (Hard to describe). They probably would be considered compression style. It is the style used by the cable company these days. I use all RG-6 quad shield for any coax stuff.

My house was built in 2001 and I pulled at least two pairs of coax to any spot I thought I might ever want cable TV or satellite. I believe at the time that a satellite receiver needed two coax, but I think some only need one coax today.

Craig Coney
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
If you need F connectors, I think the BORG carriers twist on connectors for RG6 Quad which are decent. They are more expensive than the crimp connectors, but if you only need a few, may be more ecomonmical overall.

I have many ratcheting crimp tools, with most of the dies for coax. The exact size you need will depend on the cable and which connector type.

paul cottingham
01-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Compression style connectors are the easiest to install of the high quality connectors IMHO. I will look for the brand we used.

Rich Engelhardt
01-12-2012, 8:54 AM
I made quite a few coax cables over the course of my IT career...

I can't begin to tell you how happy it makes me to read the above comments - - and not recall anything about the subject!
:)
(maybe this retirement thing ain't so bad after all)

Greg Portland
01-12-2012, 2:27 PM
What type of connectors do I need, what are all the different connections that can be made (BNC, F and RCA connectors to RG59, RG6, and RG6-Quadshield) and what do they mean? Any good explanatory websites you can point me to?

BNC and RCA connectors have tips that need to be crimped on (or soldered) in addition to the connector body. BNCs are for professional video, you probably just need RCA (red/white/yellow push on stereo plugs or used for component and composite video). F connectors are the screw-on style that are used for cable TV, etc. RG6 is capable of carrying a higher bandwidth than RG59 which can result in a better picture in -some- situations. Quad shield has better noise rejection and is useful for long runs. The downside with solid core RG6 (and QS) is that it is not very flexible.

I would recommend going with a RG6 quad shield crimper/die/cutter set for long antenna and cable TV runs. The crimp die and cutter are not cheap so you might as well go with the overkill option. The compression-style fittings are the fastest and easiest option + there are watertight options for outdoor connections. Frankly, the RCA cables are cheaper to buy from Markertek than to build your own.

A cheap option: http://www.broadbandutopia.com/rg6qucotekit.html

Jon McElwain
01-12-2012, 3:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! The video on Youtube was informative and helpful, and the advice about different tools and cable types was exactly what I needed. I stopped at the BORG to take a gander at what they had, and I saw a twist on connector. These are cheap, but I am guessing they will not hold up like the F Compression fittings. Am I right? It looks like they have a $20 option for a Klein compression tool - better than the $50 option as far as the pocketbook goes.

paul cottingham
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
These http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-Regular-Compression-Connector/dp/B002KSBWDO are what we use. (minus the amazon, they are just the easiest to point to.) Really good, really strong, and gas-tight to boot.

John Lohmann
01-12-2012, 10:25 PM
T&B is good, unless you are going to make 100 cables, the crimping tool doesn't matter that much

John Shuk
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
If the Cable/Sat company is coming out to connect boxes they can easily enough put the ends on. Why buy a tool for one time use. I install Fios and we use the compression fittings. The truth is that I used to waste alot of time changing ends to compression fittings. What I've found is that the type of connection doesn't make much difference. The key is that it is secure and that the shielding avoids the center conductor. RG59 isn't even a problem most of the time. That can be attributed to the Hot Fios video signal though.

Brian Elfert
01-13-2012, 1:18 PM
I wired my entire house with over 1,000 feet of RG-6 when it was built in 2001. That was why I needed a crimping tool. I certainly wouldn't have bought one for a cable or two. I installed a two way capable powered distribution block in my utlity room where all of my cables home run to.

I suspect today's digital cable can operate without issues on a lot worse physical plant than the older analog cable. Stores sell big buck HDMI cables, but even the cheap HDMI cables will normally work fine as HDMI is digital.

Peter Stahl
01-14-2012, 8:59 AM
The guy in the video made this look really easy. I had a tough time with the one I bought from HD but maybe I had the wrong connectors.

paul cottingham
01-14-2012, 10:43 AM
T&B is good, unless you are going to make 100 cables, the crimping tool doesn't matter that much
Is true!
i've spoiled far fewer ends with the t&b system tho'. I think it is the easiest to get high quality, gas-tight connections with. Besides, it is a new, high quality tool. We ARE woodworkers aren't we?:D

Jon McElwain
01-18-2012, 7:21 PM
The guy in the video made this look really easy. I had a tough time with the one I bought from HD but maybe I had the wrong connectors.

All of the videos made it look easy! So I ended up getting a cable stripper for under $10, and a F-Compressor tool for less than $20. Could have spent $20+$50 for the same tools (higher I'm sure if I tried!). Anyway, the stripper worked perfectly, and the compressor worked just fine as well. The only trouble I had was getting the F-Connectors to seat on the end of the coaxial cable. It was a real chore to push them until the inner shield seated all the way forward in the connector and the conductor protruded 1/8" per the directions and videos. I made about a dozen cables, and I have another project that I will be using the tools and extra connectors on soon.

Good learning experience, and now my electrical box looks just a little more well outfitted!! :D