PDA

View Full Version : Burn Barrel Resurection #5

Dick Wilson
01-11-2012, 3:03 PM
Well, I looked at a turning laying on my bench last week that went south on me and an idea came to mind. This was headed towards being a beautiful Curley Maple bowl. That was until I got a phone call and had to run down the street. I forgot to bag the turning on my lathe. It was late when I got home so back to the lathe tomorrow. Next day I remembered.......the bowl had a huge crack in the end grain. Off the lathe and tossed on the bench rather unceremoniously.After cutting, carving, sanding, and pyro this is what I ended up with. As I said before Curley Maple and Ambrosia Maple base that I got from Mr. Hill.Comments and critique welcome. 1/12 - I reshot the picture. I think the daylight bulbs I was using turned the background blue. I also shot from further away ( like I have read ) and cropped on Picasa. I also tried a number of different minus exposure settings. That helped get rid of the glare. Now I think that the colors are much more natural and got away from the un-natural redish tones. What do ya think??219382

Jim Underwood
01-11-2012, 3:06 PM
Man dat's a big ole soffball covah... Musta slapped that thang purty hard for hit ta come offa lak dat...:D

Seriously, that's a decent resurrection piece. Now you just need to put a big price tag on it and sell it to a gallery..:p

Bill Bolen
01-11-2012, 3:49 PM
Outstanding save Dick! That is a really Intriguing piece. I've gotta agree with Jim though. Sure looks like a baseball with the cover knocked off. Interesting!! How about "Homerun" for a title?

Jon McElwain
01-11-2012, 4:03 PM
Cool looking piece there! I'd love to see some additional photo angles to get a better idea of what it looks like...

Jim Burr
01-11-2012, 7:18 PM
Great new life!! If that ended in the burn bin, I was gonna poke you in the glasses!;)

John Keeton
01-11-2012, 7:35 PM
Dick, every now and then you get a stroke of genius!!! This is an awesome piece - great concept (even if the motivating push was not your doin'), and the execution is first class!

I am impressed!!!

Sid Matheny
01-11-2012, 8:12 PM
Great save and now I need to go out and look at some of my oopps in the shop.

Sid

Steve Busey
01-11-2012, 9:02 PM
Looks like you got a great Lemonade recipe there! (You know, "When life gives you lemons...")

Fred Belknap
01-11-2012, 9:10 PM
Dick it looks like an abstract sculpture. I don't know what it looks like but it is very appealing. I like the combination and form.

Harry Robinette
01-11-2012, 9:49 PM
Dick
I really like it and I mean really I don't know why but that is one of the very few pieces I would love to have it's beautiful and some of the nicest work and design I've seen in a long time. Congratulations on one really beautiful piece.

Dick Wilson
01-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone. Sometimes lemons turn into lemonade. Now all I have to figure out is why my camera produces a blue background instead of the white to gray gradiant background I used:mad::mad::mad:

James Combs
01-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Sometimes lemons turn into lemonade. Now all I have to figure out is why my camera produces a blue background instead of the white to gray gradiant background I used:mad::mad::mad:

Dick that is a very interesting piece. Exactly what I would expect to see in the local art gallery.

As for the blue back ground, it appears to me that you have the cameras white balance set for your ambient or both lighting but you used flash to take the photo. If you use flash make sure you use an automatic setting or change your white balance to flash mode.

Scott Hackler
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Dick, that was a fortunate crack because the sculpture turned out very well! Only critique from me is I would dye the base black. I would rather the focus remain on the turning and that base is a little busy and distracts my eye a little. Nice work.

Hayes Rutherford
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I think this piece is very "sculptural" and think what it would be like to view live where it could be viewed from all angles. Not sure if I would have the patience for cutting, carving, and pyro, but I'm sure I could handle the cracking part.

Nice save, it came out well. Did you get a graduated blue background as well? It seems like you were working with a grey one in another photo.

Jamie Donaldson
01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
This is a sculpture that does have birth on the lathe, and anything's fair game after it comes off! I agree with Scott that the base is too busy and detracts from the main object, the sculpture concept. Although you captured the image with flash, it appears there were other light sources in the area, and that is the probable source of the blue in the background.

Bob Bergstrom
01-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't see it as a "save" but a great creative mind taking advantage of a creative opportunity. Through a systematic process of development there appears a beautiful creation. Great job visualizing and designing the finished piece.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Awesome piece and beautiful save Dick.

Kathy Marshall
01-12-2012, 1:37 AM
That is a great save Dick! Looks to me like you're full of it, creatively speaking :D, to see this form inside of a cracked bowl.

Michelle Rich
01-12-2012, 6:46 AM
wow dick, great save! you are certainly becoming a sculpting genius! :-) Very cool piece!

Dick Wilson
01-12-2012, 7:07 AM
I think this piece is very "sculptural" and think what it would be like to view live where it could be viewed from all angles. Not sure if I would have the patience for cutting, carving, and pyro, but I'm sure I could handle the cracking part.

Nice save, it came out well. Did you get a graduated blue background as well? It seems like you were working with a grey one in another photo.

Hayes, that is the white to grey background:mad::mad::mad:. I am hoping that Jamie or someone will have an idea of what happened. I took the picture and the background was blue in the camera.

Dick Wilson
01-12-2012, 7:08 AM
This is a sculpture that does have birth on the lathe, and anything's fair game after it comes off! I agree with Scott that the base is too busy and detracts from the main object, the sculpture concept. Although you captured the image with flash, it appears there were other light sources in the area, and that is the probable source of the blue in the background.

Hi Jamie, No flash used and 2 daylight lights used ???????????????????????

Doug Herzberg
01-12-2012, 9:50 AM
Dick, I don't usually chime in on the art and form comments, even though I'm impressed by a lot of what I see on this forum. This is stunning. Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie Donaldson
01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
GREAT PHOTO IMPROVEMENT Dick!!!!!! Turning off the flash also eliminated most of the glare, and doesn't draw attention to the base, now more subdued in the shadows. GOOD JOB!!!!