PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet Turning Tools ?

Bob Wolfe
01-11-2012, 2:25 PM
Wondering if anyone uses Hamlet woodturning tools, specifically M2 spindle roughing gouge and bowl gouge. If so what are your thoughts and opinions on them. Thanks in advance.

Richard Allen
01-11-2012, 3:01 PM
I use the bowl gouges. I use Sorby and Record spindle roughing gouges. The Hamlet tools I have are high quality English tools which work fine. The sharpen as expected, hold an edge as expected. The flute shape on the bowl gouge is more of a "V" shape than a "U" shape. The "V" is slightly more open than the Old Glaser bowl gouges I have and is significantly deeper than the "V" flutes of the Thompson bowl gouges I have. The "V" flute is more shallow than the Sorby bowl gouge I have.

I prefer a "V" shaped flute and I find the Hamlet bowl gouge to be well suited to my "style" of bowl gouge use.

Wally Dickerman
01-11-2012, 3:12 PM
I have and use a Hamlet 2060 1/2 in. bowl gouge. Along with a Thompson 5/8 in gouge, my go to gouges for bowl turning. They are both the same size, one UK sizing and the other US.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-11-2012, 5:02 PM
I have used a couple of their bowl scrapers & find them to be good quality tools.

Bob Wolfe
01-11-2012, 6:30 PM
Thank you very much for the input guys. Wally, I was not sure about the sizing, good to know that before I place an order and end up with the wrong tool.

Charles Bjorgen
01-11-2012, 6:51 PM
I also have the Hamlet ASP 2060 1/2" and 3/8" bowl gouges and the 3/8" spindle gouge. For the record, the house brand tools sold by Packard are made by Hamlet. I also have a couple of those.

Mark Levitski
01-11-2012, 7:29 PM
I also have a Hamlet (Packard) 2060 1/2" or 5/8" diameter bowl gouge and like it/use it a lot. You can also try the Crown Pro-Pm tools (my Hamlet was getting short). I have three of those in the same size as the Hamlet with different grinds or bevel angles. They are also very good, and if you watch Hartville Tools for their regular Pro-PM sales, you can get a very good value.

Mark