PDA

View Full Version : Figured out a good use for excess epoxy

Todd Burch
01-11-2012, 2:11 PM
I'm in the process of preparing some white oak to glue up for a "plan desk" out in the shop (the kind that has a slanted front you can stand at), and I'm filling a bunch of worm holes. I'm mixing my smallest "pre-measured" quantities but still have excess left over each round. I had been using the excess on some other boards that needed the epoxy to make them "whole" again (splits or other defects), but I ran out of those for the time being.

I'm standing at my work bench (my tablesaw's side feed table) where I do 90% of my jig sawing, routing, drilling, banging, assembling, sanding, dry-staple-gun-firing, etc., and was wondering where to put this excess epoxy instead of throwing it away. Where can I put it? Where can I put it?

And then it dawned on me. Duh! My workbench top!

The top is plastic laminate over an MDF core on a Sears and Roebuck metal cabinet, and it is beat all to heck. Big time. So, I slathered it all over and now it's drying (since 7AM). Tomorrow (or late this evening), I'll ROS it down flat, and I'll have a better work surface!

hehehe!

Todd

Jerome Hanby
01-11-2012, 2:15 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I could do the same on my old Workmate top pieces!.

glenn bradley
01-11-2012, 4:33 PM
Good tip. There's a few repairs on my bench using epoxy leftovers. I also fill DP table backer plates, vice jaws, jig faces, etc.

Larry Edgerton
01-11-2012, 4:58 PM
A drywall knife works well for a screed....

And if you have a hole deep enough [set router wrong] you can drop coins in before the epoxy just for fun.......

Seals cracks in concrete.....

Glue quarters to the floor so you can chuckle at people trying to pick them up....

Glue the phone to the wall unit.... My brother appreciated that one......

Epoxy is great fun!

Larry