PDA

View Full Version : Amber (orange) shellac and UV

Rich Engelhardt
01-11-2012, 2:09 PM
As an FYI, since I've seen people here wonder how shellac stands up to UV....

I'm redoing some old pine trim on a house built in the mid 1950's.

One of the windows that faces West had some rather crude things carved into parts of the sill.
I sanded the obscene message out and sanded down to bare wood on about 3/4ths of the sill.

I put a coat of Zinsser Amber shellac on last night and it blended in perfectly with the 50 plus year old shellac.
I was kind of curious myself to see how it would work which is why I only sanded part of it. It came out a lot better than I expected.

Since the window faces West and catches the full brunt of the Sun, I expected some change in color. I was amazed there was none or at least none that I could see at night using the twin 500Watt worklights.

Jerome Hanby
01-11-2012, 2:13 PM
Seems like Scott posted a while back that while a shellac finish can get dirty over time and look darker, the finish itself doesn't. Sounds like you just confirmed the same thing.

Howard Acheson
01-13-2012, 1:58 PM
Shellac is not affected by exposure to UV. However, it provides only minimal UV protection to the wood underneath.

Peter J Lee
01-13-2012, 2:03 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that a house in the 50s used a shellac finish.