PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a new tool purchase

Chris Tedford
01-11-2012, 1:23 PM
Hi all,

Haven't posted in quite some time. I made a bunch of birdhouse ornaments and pens this past Holiday season for an Artists Co-Op that I belong to. Was using the old Delta 46-700 that my work shop has, but I was given a nice Christmas present of a 46-460. Turned my first project on it last night, just a pen but......so quiet, so smooth, the speed control....think I might have to revisit my whole "no bowls for me" philosophy. I recently bought the Easy Rougher and Easy Mini-Finisher. Both are great and helped me immensely with the older lathe, and will be of use in the future, but I'm realizing their limitations. The skew I've been using is oval and I haven't had much luck in controlling the thing, it rocks to much on the tool rest, so have given up trying.

My question is this-and I know there are many different opinions-should I get a Sorby Spindle Master, or a new Skew? If skew, what type, size, etc? I don't think I'll be happy with an oval, but don't really know what size to get anyway. Currently I turn predominantly pens and birdhouse ornaments, but want to try my hand at icicles and globes with icicles. Pros and cons to one tool over the other? I have a grinder setup, so that's not an issue for sharpening (thinking of upgrading my Wolverine to a Tormek, but not sure yet).

I realize either tool is going to take lots of practice to use well, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to put in the time so as to not be limited by the tool (which is what I'm finding from the Easy Tools).

Will try to get some pictures posted of the lathe and first pen turned on it.

Thanks,
Chris

David E Keller
01-11-2012, 1:49 PM
Just an opinion, but I find my Alan Lacer skew to be nicer than any others I've tried. It's thick and heavy which helps me with control. I've got a 3/4" model I think(could be 5/8), but it's rapidly replaced the other skews in my collection.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2012, 1:52 PM
I agree with David and have both of Lacers skews. I love them both and are mostly my go to skews out of the 7 I own.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-11-2012, 2:07 PM
I have a 1/2" Spindlemaster, and I really can't say anything good about it. It looks good in the videos, which is why I bought it. It was my second "good" tool purchase. Oh, cool, a do it all tool. I bought my bowl gouge first. After several tries and failures on the "catch-proof" tool, it resided in the bottom of my tool box for a long time. Next to the inertia sander I bought. I still bring it out and attempt to learn how to use it. In my OPINION, it can cut soft woods well, but nothing hard. Everytime I try to cut a hard wood, I get a skate or dig. It very well could be, and probably is user error, since people can obviously use it. I also have one of those skewchigouges that about flew across my yard the other day.
Bottom line of all of this ranting is stick with the "traditional" tools, and avoid these crossover type tools. I have a big 1-1/4" lacer style skew. I get catches and skates with that too. But it is a skew. That is what I would plink my dollars into.

Dan Forman
01-11-2012, 4:32 PM
I'd recommend either Thompson or D-Way for a skew, both have very good edge retention. Take a look at this video too, for an interesting perspective on a more user friendly grind. shaprskew.avi - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnTt_3AXtA) . You might find that with this, you get along better with the skew you already have. This is easier to do with a straight edge skew than a curved one, as is the touch up sharpening.

Dan

Jim Burr
01-11-2012, 7:21 PM
I have a simple 3/8" Taylor skew for pens and little stuff. I'm hitting DT up for one so I can stop sharpening every 2 minutes. I also have a 1-1/4" CSUSA but I don't use it much. If it's bigger than a pen or stopper, I head off to the gouge inventory

Harry Robinette
01-11-2012, 8:01 PM
Get Allen Batty( Stewart Battys Father) DVD on using the skew. I tried Allen Lacer DVD's but a friend told me to try Allen Battys and I'm glad I did.

Chris Tedford
01-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Dan-I think I'll give that grind a try on the skew I have at work and see how that does for me. If that works, I'll consider the Lacer skew if/when I decide I want a bigger skew.

Another question-how does one sharpen a curved edge skew? Does it have to be done without a jig on the grinder?

Thanks again for all your help.
Chris

Rob Price
01-12-2012, 1:34 AM
I'm a complete newb- I'm learning the skew and other stuff, but I did buy the PSI versachisels out of curiousity (I guess a Sorby knockoff)- and they were cheap- ~$20 for two of them and free shipping from Amazon. I have used them for rolling a bead into a tight spot on some spindle stuff- I feel like I get a better curve using it than a skew, and more like a scraper on pens. I have found it easier to control as a beginner than my skew, although I'm convinced I want to get good with the skew. I bought a Raffan video on Amazon, and he does all kids of stuff with his. I don't use them a ton- and maybe I'll outgrow it, but as a beginner it's helped me do some stuff I can't do with the skew yet.