PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw and Lathe Replacement Motor?

Michael Menzli
01-11-2012, 9:24 AM
Greetings Creekers,

Apologies if this has been discussed or is in the wrong forum. I was curious about upgrading the motors on my HF Bandsaw and Lathe. Really looking to bump things up for resawing on the bandsaw and have decided on 2 hp. As far as the lathe im unsure as to recommended hp and size . The lathe is the 12x34" with 3/4 hp. Are there any specifics I need to look for and or want. My house is single phase at this point and dont intend on changing anything. So basically what im looking for are standard specs (hp, rpm, etc) for replacement units for both of these.

Peace and thanks
Michael

Steve Braman
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I would be concerned that the existing structure may not be able to handle the additional forces from the larger motor. Be careful and think twice whether this is the best path for an upgrade.

Reed Gray
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
You might be able to up grade the motor on your lathe to 1 hp. Probably shouldn't go beyond that. I would not go up on the bandsaw, it, like the lathe isn't designed to take that type of load. You might get big improvements on your bandsaw with a good blade. I prefer the Lennox Die Master bimetal blades. If you don't have a good sharp blade on your saw, the motor won't change much. Look at some of the 2 hp bandsaws out there to see what I mean.

Might be time for you to upgrade your tools, and sell the ones you have.

robo hippy

Michael Menzli
01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Steve..could you elaborate a little more? I get the forces concept but to clarify would a larger unit (motor) cause more stress? I guess my rational was that a bigger unit might function better as there is less resistance or strain...for instance my bandsaw does nicely up to 4 inches or so thick but struggles with anything larger it bogs down or stops at times. (Have a riser kit installed to 12")

Van Huskey
01-11-2012, 1:55 PM
I won't comment on the lathe since I am not a turner.

The BS is a clone of the Delta 14" cast saw. I think the HF saw has a 1hp motor on it, probably weak as 1hp motors go. Don't worry about putting a higher HP motor on it, you won't have any issues. A quality 1.5 to 2hp motor would be all you will ever need, I would look for a 1.5hp as that is traditionally the most 14" cast saws are sold with but if you find a 2hp for the same or less money I wouldn't think twice about using it. Before you buy a motor if I remember correctly the HF saw has the motor sitting in the sloping leg stand, if so make sure what you buy will fit, unless you feel like doing a lot of mods to the saw Keep the stock motor to replace the new one with if you ever sell the BS.

Blades are a valid issue, good quality and sharp blades can make all the difference in the world. Since I don't know what you are cutting I can't give a specific recommendation but here a post with some general info on BS blades. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!&highlight=talk+bandsaw+blades

Steve Braman
01-11-2012, 2:46 PM
My concern would be in the area of the bearings and castings. In order for the motor to apply the additional power to the blade, larger loads would be applied to the spokes within the drive wheel. Not knowing much about the design or quality or the casting is the basis for my concern.

Reed Gray
01-11-2012, 3:51 PM
Sounds like your band saw may need a tune up. You should buy or at least borrow a book on setting up your wood shop tools. That saw will not come direct from the factory ready to go. Assembled, probably, but fine tuned, no way. Wheels need to be parallel. Blade tension needs to be set. Blade needs to track true. Belt drive from the motor to the wheels needs proper tension. Blade guides need to be properly spaced. You need the correct blade. If your bandsaw does fine up to 4 inches, but not over that, any one of the previous reasons could contribute to it not running properly.

The problem with the smaller bandsaws that have riser blocks, is that basically they are taking a saw that was designed to cut 6 inches high, and stretching it out to cut more than it was built for. It will perform okay, but not for heavy use.

Also, if the piece you are cutting is not flat on the table, and rocks at all, that will make your blade bind. If the blade teeth do not have set to them, that will make the blade bind. If you have too fine of a tooth count (3 to 4 tpi for most resawing on a bandsaw that size) that will make your blade bind. If the tension is too loose, the blade can bend in the cut, and bind. If the blade guides are not set properly, that can cause drift, binding, and blade breakage.

Just adding a bigger motor won't fix these problems.

robo hippy

curtis rosche
01-11-2012, 6:28 PM
for the lathe, if you put a bigger motor on it it means that it takes more force to stop a spinning peice during a catch. that extra force is also exerted on the rest of the lathe cause that what the motor is pushing againt. newtons law. also, a bigger motor on a lathe like that would be a bad idea. it will make you think its safer to put even larger peices on it, or more dangerous peices "cause it has extra power and can handle it". i would follow the other suggestions and sell it and upgrade to a bigger lathe

Roger Chandler
01-11-2012, 7:26 PM
I have a Reliant 14" bandsaw.........a copy of the 14" HF sells..........the 1 hp motor went out on it......I think it was a starter capacitor...........I found a Baldor 1 hp motor to replace it. Even though they are supposed to be rated the same........the Baldor motor has much more power and torque.........I have tricked out this saw and it really performs now.

A good motor can make all the difference, but it is not a substitute for a well tuned bandsaw, and a good blade!

Michael Menzli
01-11-2012, 8:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input...I will say the lathe motor is a lower priority and a what if scenario. I just got the lathe about 3 weeks ago so upgrading to a new one would be out of the question right now. I guess I was most curious as to what I should be looking for.

As far as the bandsaw. I have a good blade (to me) a 1/2" Timberwolf 4 tpi. Ive installed cool blocks and a cobra coil spring. I will say I would like to replace the tension setup at some point but settled for now. I will def. look into tuning up things. I have things set to the best of my understanding but am sure things can be improved. I agree about the riser block and why I was debating on the motor upgrade. I use the saw for cutting rounds out of fallen timber. Timber lately has been maple, sweet gum , and sycamore. most are 8-10" thick..My biggest issue is cutting through the pith areas...for instance cutting a log in half. I have seen binding as described when things are uneven...A new saw is out of the question as I have a newborn and 4 yr old...

curtis rosche
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
three weeks ago? isnt that still under the return policy so you can get the money back and find a bigger one on craigslist :D

Michael Menzli
01-12-2012, 5:43 PM
I hate craigslist...really sketches me out...also not for 2 bills...:) I did a quick search for giggles and nothing within 150 miles...

curtis rosche
01-12-2012, 11:18 PM
a good number of lathes around me,,,,,,, it shouldnt sketch you out since you can go and try before you buy. i never have anything shipped. always go test first, subwoofer, amp, lathe, motor, tools, friends car, so far so good. if you reply to the ad and they say you cant see it or can test it, skip over it.

Bill Boehme
01-13-2012, 12:27 AM
The idea of "upgrading" a machine tool with a larger motor probably falls in the same category of wanting to get a 4WD vehicle -- it allows you to get stuck further off the pavement than you would if you had a 2WD vehicle.