PDA

View Full Version : Any body have experience with the Festool KAPEX ?

Mark Valsi
01-11-2012, 9:22 AM
I'm thinking about buying one . . .

Scott T Smith
01-11-2012, 9:52 AM
Mark, several of us have them. Pretty much we all like them.

Mine provides a table saw quality cut on oak, is very precise and a joy to use. There is just something about using a smooth, well balanced and accurate tool that is enjoyable.

Neil Brooks
01-11-2012, 9:55 AM
My understanding is ... the dust collection is too good, putting the burden on you to find other ways to trash your shop/jobsite.
<grin>

Alan Lightstone
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Have one, like it a lot. The dust collection is much better than most. But all SCMS kick dust around. You realize how good the dust collection is when you forget to turn it on. The dual lasers and adjust-ability is nice too. Like most Festools, it is stupid expensive, but you only cry once...

The new Bosch slider gets good praise too.

Jeff Monson
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I like mine alot also. The DC is excellent, best with the larger hose they sell. It is a hard bullet to bite, but once its paid for I dont regret buying it.

I'm still on the fence about using an aftermarket blade, nice to hear if anyone likes one over the other.

Chris Tsutsui
01-11-2012, 1:40 PM
What I love about my kapex:

1. Clamp easily moves from one side to the other and is easy and efficient to use.
2. Dual lasers are very precise, set it once and forget it.
3. A real space saver for area behind the miter saw.
4. adjusting the miter settings is a breeze, no nuts or screws, just easy to use locking levers.
5. Adjustable RPM, though I always use the highest speed.
6. Has a unique setting that lets you chop something 4" tall by allowing the saw to pluge very deep into the base plate.
7. A cord wrap and tool holder
8. The angle finder gauge that stores in the saw base.

What could use improvements:
1. The clamp only has 2 locations (coud have more) so that it doesn't get in the way of 45 degree cuts.
2. Dust collection could be even better with perhaps a Y-adapter and suction underneath the bottom plate.
3. Adjustment of the lasers without cutting holes in the label.
4. The big steel bars that act as guides should have the option to be pushed back so it functions like a traditional SCMS. Those bars get in the way of clamps I want to use sometimes.
5. The lazer could wrap around an object in case you mark the wrong side, you don't have to transfer your measurements to the side facing the laser.

Van Huskey
01-11-2012, 2:57 PM
The Kapex is the best CSMS I have ever used the only question is whether the extra 600-700 dollars over its usually rivals is worth it for you. It wasn't for me since I have a RAS and picked up the Milwaukee 6955-20 when HD cleared them out for $299, most places have them for $600 now.