PDA

View Full Version : Angle Tool

Michael Fuller
01-11-2012, 9:09 AM
The awards company I used to work for had a tool that sat inside the laser machine and would raise up the acrylic piece so that you could etch on the top of slanted items. For example if you wanted to etch on the top of the diamond tower (see picture) the tool would raise the piece up to where you could level the top of the piece. I can not find it online anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on where to find this tool or has anyone made something to do this type of etching?

Thanks!

Dee Gallo
01-11-2012, 9:35 AM
I would imagine a simple beanbag would do the job easily.

Mike Null
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I have done that piece and used the same jig I use for cylindrical objects less one end. It's a simple "V" mounted perpendicular on a flat board. The use a level to position it to focus.

Michael Fuller
01-12-2012, 9:27 AM
Mike... the V mount is the simple part... how did you get it to slant up so that the top was level? Did you just wedge something under the flat board?

Mike Null
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
No, I put a stop at the end of the crystal on the base board to hold it in position. I'll be doing another tomorrow. (engraving through a mask then sandblasting)

Martin Boekers
01-12-2012, 1:11 PM
I do tons of crystal base for globes, (I'll post a photo later) I made a wedge to slide under the base until it's level.
I have a stop to hold the backside then push the wedge forward (underneath the base) until its level. Then tape the wedge
into position so it doesn't move. I have tried beanbags, sand. "Space Sand", modeling clay non seemed to work.
If the manufacteres came up with a ready made jig for these odd shaped items and charged areasonable price
they would probably sell more pieces!

George D Gabert
01-13-2012, 12:44 PM
You can make your own sine plate by using 2 boards with a hinge on 1 end and use a slotted bars with a finger screws on the sides to set the height. Then can clamp your holding fixture to that to mark on angular surface like you would do if marking on the flat.

GDG

Mark Sipes
02-08-2012, 4:14 PM
Is this what you were looking for ?? From LaserBits

Frank Corker
02-08-2012, 5:57 PM
I tired the bean bags and the different props when I did a few of those. In the end, I used a dry oasis that they you get from a florist shop. You line it up and press it down until the face is level. Worked fine and managed to complete about 15 using the same piece.

Martin Boekers
02-08-2012, 6:49 PM
Is this what you were looking for ?? From LaserBits

I tried searching for this and couldn't find anything from LaserBits.
Do you have a link for it?

Thanks

Mark Sipes
02-08-2012, 8:08 PM
Scanned from a 2005 catalog. Should be able to call 1-800-733-7705 and see who made them or where they purchased them from. Please share info.

Michael Fuller
02-16-2012, 9:23 AM
Mark,

That is the one I was looking for. Spoke to LaserBits and the item has been discontinued. The search continues.

Glen Monaghan
02-16-2012, 9:55 AM
It's such a simple device, why don't you put your laser to work and make one yourself? It's basically just a baseplate with an upper inclining plate hinged to it at the right and a lower inclining plate nested into and hinged (pinned) to the baseplate at the left, with the right side of the lower inclining plate connected (probably with another pin) to the tabs of the sliding stop/actuator that ride in the two slots of the upper inclining plate. Thumbscrew used to lock the desired angle. Sidewall seems optional.

-Glen

Martin Boekers
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
It's such a simple device, why don't you put your laser to work and make one yourself? It's basically just a baseplate with an upper inclining plate hinged to it at the right and a lower inclining plate nested into and hinged (pinned) to the baseplate at the left, with the right side of the lower inclining plate connected (probably with another pin) to the tabs of the sliding stop/actuator that ride in the two slots of the upper inclining plate. Thumbscrew used to lock the desired angle. Sidewall seems optional.

-Glen

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the jig than to figure the cost (your time) to make it.
I do make most of mine. It surprizes me that with the market for jigs that there aren't
more available on the market. Gravograph has a few, but they (Gravograph) haven't
been the easist to deal with.

Machining companies have all sorts of vises etc, but the cost is incredible!

Glen Monaghan
02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the jig than to figure the cost (your time) to make it.

True that, but he's been searching for over a month now. Could design and make it in less than an hour and I'll bet he's spent more time than that looking for one.

-Glen

Martin Boekers
02-16-2012, 10:14 AM
True that, but he's been searching for over a month now. Could design and make it in less than an hour and I'll bet he's spent more time than that looking for one.

-Glen

Quite true! I have to say I spend quite a few hours a week my self on research! :)

Steven Cox
02-25-2012, 9:23 PM
Mark,

That is the one I was looking for. Spoke to LaserBits and the item has been discontinued. The search continues.

You have a laser and corel draw the two most powerful tools you'll ever own, so why not just look at the enlarged picture and built your own from a few scraps of wood and some Mdf or ply or acrylic. For the disc leveler you can pick up from most hardware shops they are only a $2 item. I looked at this and think it's so simple and would only take a few hours to design & build. In fact I think its so simple I could possibly improve it.

Steven Cox
02-25-2012, 9:46 PM
After posting the above suggestion to build one yourself, my wife commented "Why not just buy an adjustable copy holder from a stationery store"
Some answers are just so simple! Try Googling Images for adjustable copy holder you'll be amazed at what's readilly available out there that could be used!

Here's just one that has possibilities....

Martin Boekers
02-26-2012, 3:19 PM
after posting the above suggestion to build one yourself, my wife commented "why not just buy an adjustable copy holder from a stationery store"
some answers are just so simple! Try googling images for adjustable copy holder you'll be amazed at what's readilly available out there that could be used!

nice!!!!!!

Martin Boekers
02-26-2012, 3:39 PM
After posting the above suggestion to build one yourself, my wife commented "Why not just buy an adjustable copy holder from a stationery store"
Some answers are just so simple! Try Googling Images for adjustable copy holder you'll be amazed at what's readilly available out there that could be used!

Steve, after thinking on this a bit, I thought who uses jigs more than us? Woodworkers!
and here they are tright under our nose at SMC! A quick search brought this up.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/file.jsp?item=/popups/adjustableangle_exploded

It's a better design the the one I made, I'm thinking now on replacing it.

Thanks!

Marty

Steven Cox
02-26-2012, 8:54 PM
Yup! and the Friction support could easily be knocked out with the laser with some scrap acrylic, ABS ply or MDF....

I was a cabinetmaker/carpenter before I got into Graphics more than 25 years ago. So, I'm a great believer in making jigs you should see the jig I have for engraving glassware on one of these:

but that's another story!.