PDA

View Full Version : Holey Galahad

John Coloccia
01-11-2012, 8:55 AM
Does anyone use one of these? I was looking at the "chainsaw" style carvers, but they just looking so incredibly scary and dangerous that I decied to pass. The Holey Galahads seem like they would work very well and don't look anywhere near as dangerous, i.e. they don't look like they'd be a grabby, making it much easier to control.

What's the verdict on these things?

Steve Friedman
01-11-2012, 9:00 AM
Never tried that, but I have tried the Arbortech (large and small). Fast and needs alight tough, but NOISY and MESSY!

Jamie Buxton
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
I've used what I've known as a Kutzall blade for years. It is the same as that Galahad product, but without the see-through holes. It works well. In my carving-tool arsenal, it is like a finer-grit step after I've used an Arbortech for initial shaping.

Larry Edgerton
01-11-2012, 6:16 PM
Hey, that is very cool!

I have to cut a bunch of flats in oak log walls for switches. I usually do it with an Arbortech, followed by a disk sander, and then a DA. But like the ad says, you have to keep lifting to see where you are at. I will order one and see how it works.

Larry

Ryan Baker
01-11-2012, 9:21 PM
Yeah, those work well, and I would recommend them over the chainsaw devices. They are fast cutting, yet pretty easy to control. The most important thing is to wear some heavy gloves and keep careful track of where your hands are at all times. It's really easy to slip forward into that wheel, and it won't slow down for skin.