PDA

View Full Version : spalted maple burl...

Russell Eaton
01-11-2012, 8:27 AM
This is a cutoff from the WIP post of last week. It is about 6" tall and I used my new/used Monster rig to hollow it. It works JUST like everyone has stated. The finish is friction polish, and the wife has claimed this one...again.:rolleyes: I have a much larger piece roughed out but it is not dry yet. This piece has no ambrosia streaking in it like the other 2 do. Comments welcome. Thanks Russell

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Really nice piece and that burl looks really good. Lots going on with it. If the wife likes it hey that's all that counts.

Jon McElwain
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
That spalting really adds to an already dramatic piece of wood. Handsome vase!

Tim Rinehart
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
This piece has no ambrosia streaking in it like the other 2 do. Comments welcome. Thanks Russell
AMBROSIA...NO AMBROSIA...Russell, make no excuses for this piece of wood...my gosh man! Burl plus beautiful spalting...can't really ask for much more. I think any ambrosia would only get lost in all the beauty in that wood. Very nice black line...I like it.
Those hollowing systems sure make it fun, don't they!

Jim Burr
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Lucky you caught that one when you did Russell...it was about to spalt itself out! great chunk of wood!

John Keeton
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I am with Jim - looks like you caught it in the nick of time. Very nice piece from some beautiful wood!

Rob Cunningham
01-11-2012, 1:00 PM
A beautiful piece of wood, so much going on there. Like Bernie said " If the wife likes it hey that's all that counts."

Russell Eaton
01-11-2012, 1:23 PM
The tree trimmer I got the log from is a turner as well and saw one of the rough outs. He has a few regrets.