PDA

View Full Version : small chunk of Eucalyptus Burl

neil mackay
01-11-2012, 3:05 AM
A small and very dry piece of Eucalyptus burl, turns well. But soaked up the DO coats as if it never existed. Finished with three of WOP. As it looked a bit fragile so I poured CA through all the resin veins. I mistook the lightness for porosity, fortunately it was fairly solid in the centre, 6.4x5.0". The dull image is the result of of DO vanishing into the burl.

bob svoboda
01-11-2012, 3:11 AM
That is beautiful-very well done!

Johnny Taylor
01-11-2012, 3:44 AM
Sweet piece Neil and great work made from a cool piece of wood.....but for me the pic with just the oil finish looks much more appealing than the shiny WOP finish, that's just my taste though, all in all very nice indeed.

John Keeton
01-11-2012, 7:02 AM
Neil, that is some spectacular work on the carving! Great piece of wood to use, as well - lot of character. I suspect there may not be as much color difference as shows in the pics, but I would tend to favor a more satin finish on this one.

Michelle Rich
01-11-2012, 7:09 AM
ooohhh,ooohhh FANTASTIC!

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2012, 8:06 AM
Beautiful wood - excellent carving! Love the effect!

Tim Rinehart
01-11-2012, 8:33 AM
Neil, that carving is a really nice pattern and your consistency looks fantastic. I would agree about the satin finish suggestion, but that's somewhat of a personal thing and ... most of us know that glossy sells, whereas the true lovers of wood seem to like the softer finishes, especially on woods like the EU burl.

Harry Robinette
01-11-2012, 8:55 PM
That's a fabulous piece Neil,the wood is beautiful and the work and finish totally outstanding. I do have to say I love the oil finish it just does something for the wood that the high gloss doesn't do.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Beautiful piece. Love the carving.

neil mackay
01-12-2012, 12:24 AM
I looked at the satin finish as I was about to put the WOP and shook my head. Satin does it for me, shine does not by any stretch of my imagination on this piece.

But as they say 'the cutomer is right' :)

I appreciate all your comments.