PDA

View Full Version : Little surprise...

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
So, a little while ago, maybe a month or so, I boxed up abunch of “cut offs” from an Ambrosia Maple blank that I cut out on the bandsaw. That bowl was the one that I recently posted as the one for my neighbor. Isent out that box to someone whose work I very much appreciate viewing, and healso inspires me. David Keller was the recipient of that box.
A short while later, a box appears in my mailbox from theKeller Family. Who’s the Keller Family I wondered…not putting two and twotogether. Then, on the long walk down my ¼ mile driveway, it hit me. My pacequickened because I couldn’t wait to open it! When I opened the box, I couldn’tbelieve my eyes. I found this. 219282219283219284219285219286219287The only problem I had with it, was that it didn’treally want to “sit”…being a sphere. So, at Tony’s this past weekend, duringour DAMP meeting, I turned a little foot for it to rest upon. Nothing fancy…onpurpose. I didn’t want to distract from the piece. Just wanted to put it on a pedestal…figurativelyand literally. It now sits proudly for all to see in our house. Thanks, David…itis very well appreciated…and coveted.
On a side note, this is in NO way a plea, suggestion, or inany other way, shape, or form an insinuation that anyone else that I’ve sentwood to should, ought to, or needs to send me anything from any wood I’ve sentor given them. I just wanted to thank David for his kindness.

Bob Bergstrom
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
That is really a beaut. What a creative idea that just all works. Thanks for sharing a masterful piece.

Kathy Marshall
01-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Now that is a Really Cool piece! I love it! Sure looks like a perfect sphere to me, the wood is awesome and I love the opening! I can see why you would want to display this where it can be admired and very generous of David to let this little beauty go!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Wow now that is just to cool. Love the wood and the piece.

Scott Hackler
01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Nice piece. Love that ambrosia!

Don Alexander
01-11-2012, 12:55 AM
gorgeous wood , awesome sphere shape and another fine example of generosity both ways gotta love it :)

Van Huskey
01-11-2012, 1:17 AM
That is a really cool piece and the wood is amazing.

Ed Morgano
01-11-2012, 1:29 AM
I am continusly in awe at the amount of talent on this forum. This is just one great example of that talent at work. WOW!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-11-2012, 3:08 AM
Well, That just proves the old adage," One good turn deserves another." Nice, David. You're a class act.
faust

Dan Forman
01-11-2012, 3:14 AM
Very cool, like the hungry, baby bird orientation.

Dan

John Keeton
01-11-2012, 6:45 AM
Wonderfully done!! Great gesture by Keller, and by you in the original gift. I love Ambrosia when it gets this color range.

David E Keller
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Glad you like it, Mike! DD's recent sphere posting was the inspiration for this, and I learned a few things. First, wet wood moves, so my finished sphere ended up more 'sphere-ish'. Secondly, using cup centers on something this thin doesn't really work so well since it just compressed the piece out of round. Third, the Krylon spray fixative makes for an awesome finish... It popped the ambrosia markings without yellowing the white portions. It's a little rough after a few coats, but I knocked it down with some 2000 grit then buffed and Ren wax... It's silky smooth and has a great feel to it.

Most of all, I really appreciate Mike sharing his good/wood fortune with me... It's the nicest ambrosia maple I've ever seen. I actually would have done this with previous wood gifts, but I've always been nervous that the person I sent it to wouldn't want/like the finished product... I decided I didn't care whether Mike liked it or not!

Jim Burr
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
How big is it? I need to make sure I have shelf space!!

Peter Elliott
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
The photos don't do it justice! it is WAY better in person to see/hold. As a person who has just started to make spheres a sphere.. I think I studied it more at our DAMP meet than turning.

Mike you need a better camera! or let Dan shoot it.

Dave - that is Krylon rattle can? I could tell it was ren-waxed but thought it was a wop, satin..

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Peter, what I need is a photo booth. These pics were taken on my table saw extension table in flourescent light with a flash. No surprise that they don't really show it off. The camera may not be a Nikon SLR, but it actually takes really nice photos. A photo tent, whether made or bought is on my short list...

Jim, I thought I gave the diameter in the OP, but maybe not. It is 19 3/8" at its wides point. Hehe, I'm just kidding, it is 5" across. :D

Peter Elliott
01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Peter, what I need is a photo booth. These pics were taken on my table saw extension table in flourescent light with a flash. No surprise that they don't really show it off. The camera may not be a Nikon SLR, but it actually takes really nice photos. A photo tent, whether made or bought is on my short list...

Uh huh... excuses, excuses....

Hayes Rutherford
01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Mike, that piece came out nice and shows off the ambrosia effect well. I'm thinking of sending Keller huge amounts of the right wood and take advantage of his spherical service.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 1:02 PM
I was afraid that David might get an influx of wood, and be expected to send stuff back...:rolleyes:

David E Keller
01-11-2012, 1:43 PM
...Dave - that is Krylon rattle can? I could tell it was ren-waxed but thought it was a wop, satin..
Yep, I bought it at Hobby lobby, but I recently learned that it's cheaper at Walmart. It's great because you can re-coat it in about 5 minutes(or less) and buff it in 15-20. It looks a lot like poly, but it's faster.

Mike, that piece came out nice and shows off the ambrosia effect well. I'm thinking of sending Keller huge amounts of the right wood and take advantage of his spherical service.

I'm no expert on spheres, Hayes, but it was a fun challenge. I've only got a twenty inch swing on my lathe, so I'm not sure I can turn any of the blanks you've cut lately! If you can get my wife to agree to it, I'm willing to upgrade just for you!

I was afraid that David might get an influx of wood, and be expected to send stuff back...:rolleyes:

I see no problem with an influx of wood! I don't mind sending pieces back to folks if they send something special, but I do this for fun... That means I get to turn what I want when I want(if I get permission from my wife). I also turn out some really underwhelming pieces on a pretty regular basis, so there is some inherent risk of getting a real turd back from me! The turning community in general and this group in particular have been very generous with me, so it only seems appropriate to reciprocate on occasion.

David DeCristoforo
01-11-2012, 1:51 PM
That's a bitchin sphereish! I've been looking around for my next sphere victim and I think it just arrived yesterday in the form on one of those maple burls David Reed didn't leave here. I only hope it ends up looking as cool as this one!

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 1:55 PM
DD, in the package you have coming from me (eventually :rolleyes:), you might get a sphere candidate...

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 1:56 PM
Well, I certainly didn't get a turd! You hit a homer with this one. Maybe when I get my photo tent, I'll do it some more justice...

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 2:11 PM
Oh, and David K, that little foot thingy I made really works great for the sphere (ish-like-esque) ball. Perches it up nicely, keeps it from rolling off the table (keeping it from breaking), and gives it a base without having to have one permanently on there (like a foot on a bowl). Here's a pic of the foot. BTW, I turned this in less than 5 minutes to finished...sanded and all. I admittedly didn't make it really pretty or care about tear out, etc because I was really trying to get off Tony's lathe so the Dan could get on to do his pen. So, it was a rush job, but being under the orb, I wasn't too concerned. 219373 The foot measures 2.5" at the bottom, 2" at the top, and 3/4" thick. Oh, and your sphere is 5" in diameter.

Mike Cruz
01-18-2012, 7:40 PM
Okay, I thought I would try to do David's orb a little more justice. I just got my photo tent in today, and this was my first stab at it. Granted, I ironed the backdrop, but didn't take the time to steam it. I'm going to be ordering a good gradient backdrop soon. I think this shows the orb off a little better, even though I'm sure there is room for improvement.

David E Keller
01-18-2012, 9:47 PM
The coloring is much better in these photos, Mike! One other suggestion would be to back up a bit with your setup and then crop to the size you like... These seem a little too closely cropped, but they're not far off! Congrats on the new cube... It really makes a difference

Mike Cruz
01-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I actually zoomed in, so at least I don't need to physically back the camera off...:o These aren't doctored at all (maybe they should be...) So, I didn't crop them to this size. I just figured that, since it is the suject, why waste space around it? But that's why I'm not a photographer...never took a class or anythng. I'll back away a little next time.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2012, 10:36 PM
That is really cool! What is it used for???;)

Peter Elliott
01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Dan really kicks your a$$ in the photo arena. I still use a Polaroid with instant film.. the tent helped Mike but maybe you should call Dan for some lessons :D

Mike Cruz
01-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah, but he has nothing of his own to take pics of...:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
01-18-2012, 11:12 PM
It's purdy to look at Steve...you ever make something like that? :D

Dan Hintz
01-19-2012, 6:46 AM
Yeah, but he has nothing of his own to take pics of...:rolleyes:
Sounds like I'll have a bloody body to take pics of soon ;)

You need more light on the subject, something with a bit more warmth. Looks like you're using the fluorescents in your shop. If the camera has the option, set the color temp to match the fluorescent and it should get rid of some of that blue hue.

Mike Cruz
01-19-2012, 7:39 AM
Hmmmmm, that's odd... I took the pics in my kitchen with the supplied two lights (not flourescents) and with three 60W incandescents overhead. Not saying that there isn't enough light, just that there were no flourescents around. I had the camera set to AWB. I can certainly play with the settings, I just didn't have time to do that last night. I simply took the pictures and put everything away.

Mike Cruz
01-19-2012, 7:44 AM
David I just reread your post and "get" what you meant. If I understand you correctly, the top and bottom should have more space (if not the same as the sides). Thanks for the tip.

Mike Cruz
01-22-2012, 2:20 PM
Okay, just had a little Picassa fun...

Is this a little better?220696

Jamie Donaldson
01-22-2012, 3:46 PM
Mike- unbalance the 2 lights by moving 1 lower and further away, allowing some shadow to enhance the appearance of depth. As the lights are now positioned you are creating a pair of headlights/highlights, and on a shiny surface they will be very distracting! And leave a bit more room around the turning edges, so that is has room to breathe!

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 3:47 PM
Better, but still cropped a little close for my liking. There also seems to be a bluish hue to the background which I fix with the 'remove color cast' button in photoshop... Not sure what the equivalent might be in Picassa. Definitely progress!

Mike Cruz
01-22-2012, 4:06 PM
David, it was the exact same picture that I played with. I didn't take a new pic. I used the Picassa recommended settings for contrast, tint, hue, etc. I cropped the sides and top to be even, but yeah, there could be a little more room. I also still need to get that backdrop you told me about. To get rid of the "blue" I could have used the "warming" effect on Picassa. I didn't really like it, though. When I made the changes, I thought it looked a little blue, too. But when I went upstairs and looked at the orb, it actually has a blueish (not a warm) color to it...

When I get a chance, I might set back up and retake pics, and play with editing them.

Rich Aldrich
01-22-2012, 4:07 PM
Really cool piece. Nice figured wood.

Mike Cruz
01-22-2012, 4:07 PM
Jamie, I noticed the headlights, too. I'll work on that.

Jeff Nicol
01-22-2012, 9:25 PM
That is a beauty for sure! David did a fantastic job on it and I love spheres too and have been roughing out a bunch of different sizes and types of wood with subltle embelishments (beads, coves or something). This also reminds me that I have to turn that blank that you sent me! I know right where it is buried in the mess too so it will be easy to locate......maybe.

Great surpise!

Jeff

Mike Cruz
01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I'll be awaiting the pics, Jeff!