PDA

View Full Version : Tool Selection Choices....Ridgid??

Justin Jump
01-10-2012, 7:54 PM
With the budget running low, and the urge to fill my shop with as many tools as possible, I cant help but, to atleast consider asking.....

Anyone use/have/comments on the Ridgid line of tools?

Specifically, the table saw, band saw, drill press, planer, jointer - all the basics....

I ask, because here in PA, more towards the south in Washington, PA, there is a Factory Outlet, selling refurbed, with full warranty, and for the costs, I can fill the shop for under $2k with the basics.....

Heres a link to there website if interested....

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Table-Saws/EN/index.htm

Thx in advance, JJ in Pittsburgh.....

Joseph Tarantino
01-10-2012, 8:19 PM
i am biased, as i have quite a few ridgid tools. 10" TS, 6" jointer, oss, 13" planer, 9 combo kits and sundry other corded power tools. unless you are a complete tool snob, ridgid makes very serviceable stationary power tools, with the exception of the 14" BS. that one requires a lot of help to make it serviceable, but even that one, according to michael fortune, can be made serviceable. there's nothing those tools haven't handled yet, regardless of what i've thrown at them.

of course, if time isn't of the essence, there's always CL. my plate joiner (~$80), 10" CI c-man TS (~$145), 16/32 drum sander (~$225), 18" jet BS ($40, no typo) and 10" delta BS ($20)are all CL buys.

one more thing to consider is ridgid's lifetime service agreement (LSA). the tools are guaranteed for 3 years and the original owner can register them with the ridgid LSA program. it provides for free repairs, parts and labor (including batteries for battery powered tools), for the life of the tool (reconditioned/used tools are not eligible for the LSA program). i don't know about you, but i only want to buy any given tool once.

Jim Finn
01-10-2012, 8:24 PM
I have the Ridgid table saw and like it. Paid $500 for it 5 1/2 years ago.

glenn bradley
01-10-2012, 9:15 PM
The tablesaw Emerson built for them and the planer get a lot of positive comments. The drill press and bandsaw get mostly negative that I've read on the forums. The jointer gets mixed reviews depending on whether one bought it when they should have bought an 8" or not. There area lot of 6" machines on the used market available from folks who did just that. I would look to take advantage of that and it'll hurt less when you swap it for an 8". I know, I know, you don't need an 8" really. I thought the same thing despite all warnings and I learned my le$$on.

Bruce Wrenn
01-10-2012, 9:49 PM
LSA isn't available on refurbished tools, only the 1 year warranty.

Craig Behnke
01-10-2012, 9:59 PM
I have used their R4511 10 inch table saw. last year I picked up a 3 month old used one off of CL for about $350. It worked great for my type of projects (small stuff, no larger than a blanket chest). When a company makes a large tool for that price range (sub $500), there are ways they have to reduce the cost of materials to make it. For a novice woodworker like me, I think the tradeoffs Ridgid made were pretty good. I got a very good tablesaw for the price.

The built in lift is awesome...easy to use and stays out of the way.

Team it up with some good accessories (precision mitre, crosscut sled, good quality blade) and it can be a very effective tool.

The motor was strong enough to cut 1 inch thick slabs of purpleheart (with a woodworker II blade). The tabletop was flat and true. The stamped steel wings were okay, they did their job. The blade raising and tilting mechanisms were smooth and consistent. The dust collection port was weak (under the table saw).

I was very happy with mine, and the only reason I sold it was because I was a lucky dog this Christmas and received a sawstop as a gift from my wife and mother in law after they heard that my teenage daughters (14 and 15 yrs old) were out in the shop with me and learning how to make things. That spooked them and they coughed up the $$$ for a sawstop.

Doug Colombo
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I have a Ridgid 6" Jointer and have been very pleased with it. For what I have used it for so far, it has performed great.

Don Jarvie
01-11-2012, 2:28 PM
Before you outfit your shop with all Ridgid tools research each tool and see whats out there before you jump on the Ridgid. I did the same thing in the 90s and outfitted my shop with cheaper tools going for quantity over quality, mostly Relient brands which is like Harbor Freight. While they work ok they required a lot of work to get them to work ok.

Ex, The price of the table saw is 500.00. What are the prices of similar saws in that price range? Fine WWing has a dedicated Tools issue which tests tools. I remember them doing a comparision on hybrid saws which the Ridgid is. The grizzly hybrid for 100.00 more might be a better saw and worth the extra money.

The moral of the story is to buy quality tools that will last and once there setup they continue to work well.

Justin Jump
01-12-2012, 10:30 AM
All - thx for the input, all good valid points, great info.....

This is a harder decision than I thought.

I would like to order good equipment, no question there, I was even contemplating driving to the nearest grizzly outlet, and saving a few bucks on Shipping. Talking with the sales reps from Grizzly, even if I order all my equipment at once, they are saying I would still have to pay the individual shipping fees.

On the other hand, an Ridgid Outlet Store is 20 minutes from my house, and the savings are pretty good. yeah - no LSA with refurbed, which leads me to my third issue, which would be the LSA if I went with new Ridgid equipment......

Maybe leave it to a coin flip!!

Prashun Patel
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
I have some RIDGID tools.

OSS = great
Jointer = good
Tablesaws = I don't own, but they generally get good reviews.
I hear negative reviews of the drill press and even more negative reviews of the bandsaw.
Shopvacs = great

The cordless and battery powered tools are good. (I own the 12v lion driver) The battery replacement on these is a positive.

The biggest caveat is the bandsaw. These are finicky machines with a lot of tensioning and guide adjustment required. You want a machine that makes this easier, holds the settings, does not vibrate, and has enough power for a variety of tasks. Wanna buy my Grizzly G0555???

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree with pretty much all of Prashun's comments. I have the jointer - it's good, got it for a great price. The planer and table saws usually get good reviews. I avoid the bandsaw like the plague, even though the local HD often has ridiculously low prices on them. I think they have to be considered due to the price/performance you get, but they are by no means the top tools. for the money though, they should be considered.

Eric DeSilva
01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Well, since no one gotten specific on their lunchbox planer, I'll throw in my $0.02. I found a 20" Grizz planer on CL, but couldn't the thing into my basement. While I was pondering the possibility of serious rigging to move the 800# monster, I picked up the 13" Ridgid planer on sale at HD to get some stuff done in the interim. That guy was a screamer--most unpleasantly loud tool in the shop by a significant margin. But, it did a pretty good job once I tweaked the infeed/outfeed properly. It did a good enough job that I never bothered to move the 20" beast, and eventually sold that to another Creeker. Frankly, I'd probably still own the Ridgid, but I ran into a CL deal on a 15" Grizzly that I *could* move into the basement and was built like a tank. So, I sold my Ridgid and got about 60% of the sale price back. I figure the 4330 cost me about $30/year on that basis, and was well worth it.

Joseph Tarantino
01-12-2012, 2:24 PM
justin...as i said, i'm biased. but i just love the idea that if something fails on my LSA registered ridigds, they will fix them for free. yes, the tool must be transported to an authorized rapair facility. and some of those do not perform terribly well. but on the whole, it beats having the repair/replacement expense come out of your pocket.

Carl Babel
01-12-2012, 2:40 PM
I have the drill press and have never had any problems with it. Of course, I don't ask a lot of it.
My table is square (as checked by chucked-up bent coat hangar) and easy to re-square after drilling at an angle.
The power seems fine (but nothing like the monster drill press that they had at the high school workshop). I have drilled numerous holes in maple - even mortises - and never had any problems.
For the price, the only negatives that I can think of:
- Speed changes (could be easier).
- The belts smell like skunk. Seriously.

Van Huskey
01-12-2012, 2:44 PM
The first thing to note that the number of Rigid "machines" would be MUCH lower if HD had not put a lot of them on clearance for rediculously low price in the past, much lower than the refurb prices. The DP and BS get pretty poor reviews even by the people that picked them up for a song and the decent reviews are helped along by the prices people paid. The jointer seems to be OK but it is still 6" and though a lot of people are satisfied with that most people really want a 8" jointer (or more). The last 2 versions of the table saw got pretty good reviews but I haven't seen nearly as many reviews of the current saw, I suppose mainly due to everyone that was in the market at that price level grabbed one for $299 when they were clearanced. The planer is a solid lunchbox for the price, probably the one to get if you don't pop for the Dewalt DW735.

If I were you I would ditch the Rigid idea and go Grizzly instead, well except the planer.

Grizzly 715 table saw $900
Grizzly 452 jointer $580 (I suggest moving up to an 8" but..)
Grizzly 580 bandsaw $600
Rigid planer $400
Grizzly 7944 drill press $460

The above are rough prices shipped. I know it moves your budget up some BUT these machines are significantly better IMO. You could do even better with price if you research each tool but mine is just a quick and dirty example. The DP and jointer are both great items to look on Craigs list for, there are always a lot of 6" jointers either from people that bought an entry level jointer and rarely used it or people moving up to 8" jointers. There are always lots of DP available too.

When you could pick up the 5 Rigid basic machines new for under $1400 when the sales were going on they were hard to beat, even if a couple needed a little TLC. But at 2K for refurb ones when you can get significantly better machines for not a lot more IMO you would be remiss in not stretching your budget.

Ken Peluso
01-12-2012, 4:39 PM
I have owned their TS 3650 and really liked it, until i found a Grizz cabinet saw on CL for a steal. I also owned their 6" jointer for a number of years during which i used it heavily; recently sold it when I finally gave in to the realization that I needed an 8". I plan on buying their Oscilating Sander as soon as I finish a stand for it. As Van Huskey said, I would really look at CL to see what you can find before blowing your entire budget all at once. Find a great machine for a great price and buy it. Then look for whats left on the list.

Look at the type of projects you do/want to do and prioritize what you REALLY need and in what order.

Justin Jump
01-14-2012, 10:15 AM
OK......

After careful consideration, and a couple phone calls to Grizzly, I have made up my mind.

I have half already saved up, and with income tax around the corner (I always get a decent refund), I have decided to go the Grizzly route.

BUT, I have a delimma......

I have decided to drive to the Muncy, PA Showroom, and save on the shipping charges. I also talked to them, and usually they dont give discounts unless you spend $5K, but I will do everything in my power to get atleasst a 6% discount to cover sales tax. If I can swing that, minus the ocst of gas, I could proboaly save @ $500 by driving out there, not to mention, I get to touch, see and feel the machines.

Heres the real question - should I plan on spending above and beyond what I budgeted - ESPECIALLY after I walk into a 430,000 sq.ft Showroom??

I have a feeling I'll be making flower boxes, curio cabinets and furniture for the wife for the rest of my life for this one.......

Thx for all the info.....

JJ in Pittsburgh

Van Huskey
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I would suggest not leaving home expecting a discount BUT you may be able to get one given that some catalogs did come with 5% discounts printed on the back.

I would suggest having a hard budget (unless you or others in your household don't care) since the Grizzly line has a habit of drawing you upward. For instance in Muncy they have all the bandsaws lined up in front of the windows with each one being a little nicer and a little more expensive. There is no other WWing machine company that induces budget creep as well as they do. Also when figuring your budget don't forget tooling. You will need blades for the bandsaw and tablesaw (the BS blade included with all manufacturers saws stick). Don't buy your blades or any other accessories at Grizzly, they can almost all be gotten at better prices online. My point is make sure you budget for all the things you need to get going not just the machines.

BTW I do know how to spell Ridgid, apparently I forgot at the time of my last post and when I noticed it the time to edit had past!

Greg Peterson
01-14-2012, 1:05 PM
I realize I am a little late to the party here, but.....

Ridgid shop vac - ++
Ridgid R4511 TS - ++
Ridgid OS - ++

I think one would be hard pressed to surpass the bang for the buck on many of the Ridgid tools.

That said, one day I want to replace the TS with a SS or euro slider. By and large I am happy with the R4511 (the granite top has not been problem or concern for me), but I would like more power and better DC. The trade offs Ridgid made to deliver a competitively priced unit to market were spot on. But there were trade offs none the less.

I am very happy with the OS. Were I doing production work I can see where a large, dedicated spindle sander would be warranted. But for my one off type projects it definitely earns its keep in my small shop.

Van Huskey
01-14-2012, 7:09 PM
I should have mentioned you probably want to post the Grizzly tools over in the power tool forum to get peoples opinions on each tool and where they might spend more or less money. You well get a lot more response there as opposed to here.

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2012, 10:11 PM
. There is no other WWing machine company that induces budget creep as well as they do. !

LOL...................Have you walked into the Felder dealership lately?.......................Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
I have the Ridgid TS3650. It was a gift from my wife and it's worked well. Would I rather have a cabinet saw? Yes but so far the Ridgid has done it's job well. I also have the early Ridgid 13" planer. It works well.

Like someone else said......don't leave home if you "think" you are going to get a 6% discount......Grizzly runs on a tight margin and seldom do you see significant sales. I wouldn't plan on getting the discount.

Van Huskey
01-14-2012, 10:42 PM
LOL...................Have you walked into the Felder dealership lately?.......................Regards, Rod.

I was in DE twice last year. I will agree Felder nickel and dimes you on accessories BUT what Felder machine line moves up in $200-300 increments? They tend to move up at a $2000 to $3000 jumps, that, for me, isn't budget creep thats budget explosion!

Mark Ashmeade
01-14-2012, 11:09 PM
I'll endorse the Grizzly decision.

About 3 or 4 years ago I decided I wanted to build a shop. Rigdid tools helped me do that, so I'll always be grateful for that. As another poster pointed out, they were clearanced out of stores for ridiculously low prices. I took full advantage of that. Also the rebates that were offered in the same timeframe.

The first tool I bought was a TS3660. It had issues with the splitter, and it looked like it was the mounting bracket rather than the splitter, so I returned it and got another. Somehow, I ended up with the fence off the old one as well as the new one. I've still got the TS3660, and I don't really want rid of it, but I'm running out of space. The table is HUGE. Seriously, 44" wide, all cast iron. The fence(s!) slide sooo smoothly. It's still got the guts hanging out the back and a weasly motor though.

The bandsaw was the only real turd, but I didn't pay much. I could't get on with it, sold it and bought a basic Grizzly 513P. I couldn't be happier with the decision to upgrade.

The planer was a good machine. However, a Powermatic 15S came my way, and although the 4330 was OK, the PM is much better.

The drill press I still have, and is fine. However, as soon as I find a Delta Unidrill, it's outta here. Might be a year or two though, they're like hen's teeth in this neck of the woods.

I owned a couple of R4511 granite saws. I thought the granite tops would be much better than the cast iron of the 3660. Actually, no, they scratched, and the fence was comparable with the bandsaw. I must have been spoiled by the TS3660's fence. Anyhoo, both sold, money banked for a cabinet saw. Manifested in the form of a PM66 and a (7.5HP!!) 72. The riving knife was no better than the splitter on the 3660, to be honest.

The jointer was ok, but too small really. Again though, not much cash expended. The PM60B that replaced it is night and day though.

I also bought an RS1000 Radial Arm Saw used. That was great as long as you didn't want to cut anything other than a 90. Very good for 90 dadoes though. It's now in the garage, pending sale, replaced with a Delta 33-411 16" RAS. The Delta RAS will crosscut as much as some table saws will rip.

I think that's it for stationary tools!

As I said, I can't denigrate RIDGID too much, they got me into the business. Their replacements in my shop however are much better.

A word on the warranty. I tried claiming on it for my RS1000 (grey, lifetime warranty, not LLSA). "Foxtrot Oscar" was the response. No parts, no service.
I tried claiming for the velcro pad on my 6" sander. I had to pay the repair shop a bond before they'd submit the claim. My response to them was the same!

So, I have a lot to say about RIDGID tools, I have owned most of them. I now only own a couple. Best buy? A quarter sheet sander for $23 on clearance. Wish I'd bought 5 of them!

Jim Matthews
01-15-2012, 8:01 AM
Not to be thick, but is a tablesaw an absolute necessity for you? If so - save your pennies to get the SawStop contractor's saw, as a sensible precaution.
If you're using it to break down sheet goods, a circular saw with edge guide works just as well.

If you're using it for long rip cuts, a bandsaw can do as well (and more).
You're covering a lot of square footage with this order.

Not for nothing, but what's the difference between Ridgid and Harbor Freight - aren't these things all made in the same sweatshops?

Rob Holcomb
01-15-2012, 8:59 AM
I'm in the camp that you get what you pay for and an empty shop because you only have so much money to spend and you want really good tools, doesn't get any work done. With that being said, I have a Ridgid BS, 6" Jointer and Drill press. I'm not overly excited by any of them and will one day replace them with better quality. All of the other tools I have are Grizzly with the exception being a Delta Midi Lathe. Everything I own gets the job done. It's easy to spend other people's money and tell them what to buy so my advise to you would be to buy the best you can afford without going over budget and have fun in your shop!

Brian Weick
01-15-2012, 9:46 AM
You said you wanted quality over quantity, have you considered a used Unisaw (cabinet saw), a used 14" Delta bandsaw, etc,etc,etc,

For $2000.00 you can fill your shop with high quality WW equipment , al be it used, makes no difference. They are not making machinery like they used to and the difference is negligible IMO. I have seen 3hp Unisaws sell for $250.00 with everything included, but may need a paint job or a little TLC. Trunion assembliy designs and construction are crucial with a table saw and again, they are not making them like they used to. I see a lot of people on here that always want new , and if that's what their after, then so be it. However, what you are paying for getting new machinery VS something that was made 30-40 years ago,at that price during that time , well, if you could buy A new Unisaw that was made back in 1960 (and they are not being made the same today- all overseas) you would probably pay between $3500-$4000 and I am being conservative on that figure.

The equipment that I have acquired over the years in my shop is all industrial machinery for the most part. There isn't 1 piece in my shop that was not manufactured later than 1942. I realize it is not for everyone and respect everyones circumstances or needs that they have for a shop but I don't think the quality products of a day gone by are even considered by some because they have a new machine is better mindset. If you hang around with a bunch of people that only buy new equipment , your likely to do the same. Where I come from is a group of people that will only buy American/English or German CI machinery ,and nothing later than the 70's .

I guess what I am trying to tell you is, try to have an open mind and what you may have resting in your shop new will not even be in the same category for something older, more robust, better construction,more accurate,...etc...etc...etc.

Just to give you some idea, I have a Oliver 20C pattern lathe from 1909 - I paid close to $4000.00 for her with all that's been done- a complete refurbishment. if that very same lathe were to be built new today , just the way it was back in 1909, that lathe would cost $60-$65,000.00 Rich Fink- Eagle machinery (Oliver)

A Northfield #4 table saw you can buy new today for around $12,000.00. There is a reason it sells at that price - quality and the materials used- all cast iron and yes it is heavy,it weighs in at 1800 lbs. If you look at them out on the resale market used , anywhere from $1200-$6000 depending on the condition. I am not suggesting you consider this type of saw , I am just giving you an example of what you can get for your hard earned money used VS what is being shipped over here new......

Something for you to think over,

In any case, I hope it all works out for you :)

B,

Dave Wagner
01-15-2012, 4:26 PM
I have the Rigid 14" bandsaw, as others say, needed a bit of help, after I did my research on the internet about vibration. I had to balance both wheels to keep the vibration to a minimum, it was really bad. I have had it for a few years and works good for what I use it for. I have only broken 1 blade.
Only other new large puchase was a Grizzly 3HP shaper that performs great. All other power tools are mostly used (delta jointer and planer, craftsman table saw, lathe and drill press, etc...). You can find some good deals on Craigslist, etc....good luck.

scott spencer
01-15-2012, 9:38 PM
Trying to fill your shop with one stop shopping and one brand is a sure way to not get the most tool for your money in each case. It's simply the fastest easiest way to spend what money you have for tools.

The more critical tools are worth researching independently, and purchasing independently if necessary. A Ridgid table saw from 5 years ago, has little or no relevance with the Ridgid TS today...different models, different manufacturers, different designs, same name plate. Same is true of the planer, and several other tools. The name plate isn't what makes it a good tool...the design, construction, and mechanisms themselves are what's important, so IMO are worth researching to learn what you're getting. In some cases, you may find that Ridgid is the way to go, but certainly not in all cases. By looking at all brands, you get a better selection, and improve your odds of stumbling into a great deal for a comparable tool.

Also, refurb prices can be attractive, but they're not guaranteed to be lower than what you can negoiate with coupons, sale prices, etc.

Justin Jump
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks again everyone, all great advice......

I'm still going to stick to my plan to get new machines. I've scoured Craigslist for the past 6-8 months, and the Pittsburgh market just doesnt have alot to offer, mostly older machines that need some TLC.

It took some convincing, and a new car, but the wife has agreed to a budget for new machines, and that's the route I'm going forward with.

I'll get started by picking up the bascis, build a few projects for the basement and shop, get some practice, and then see what I'll need or what I might need to upgrade.

I noticed in the Grizzly Ad they have a parking lot tent sale once a year. Being only 4 hours away, I plan on at least attending this every year, with a small budget, and add or upgrade as I go.

I plan on keeping the house and new workshop in the family, were now on the second and third generations, so I am sure all the tools will get their fill so to say....

Once again, thanks for all the advice....

Bryan Cramer
01-16-2012, 1:34 PM
I love the Rigid jointer. I have had it for years-4 I think. It has excelent power, a good fence, and easy adjustment. The bandswaw is terrible, but I could resaw 12" hard maple with a cheap blade and the 3/4 hp motor wired to 220. I havent tried thier table saws. I think Grizzly is another good option.

Don Morris
01-16-2012, 4:20 PM
I have been using a Rigid 13" planer for years. Based on talking to several contractors at the time. Glad I did. No problems. Dust control could be a little better but none are perfect from what I hear. Changing blades is relatively easy. I have a 14 gal Rigid shopvac and couldn't be happier for what I need in my small shop and the $$$ I paid. The other machines I don't know, but those two are OK in my book.

Curt Harms
01-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks again everyone, all great advice......

I'm still going to stick to my plan to get new machines. I've scoured Craigslist for the past 6-8 months, and the Pittsburgh market just doesnt have alot to offer, mostly older machines that need some TLC.

It took some convincing, and a new car, but the wife has agreed to a budget for new machines, and that's the route I'm going forward with.

I'll get started by picking up the bascis, build a few projects for the basement and shop, get some practice, and then see what I'll need or what I might need to upgrade.

I noticed in the Grizzly Ad they have a parking lot tent sale once a year. Being only 4 hours away, I plan on at least attending this every year, with a small budget, and add or upgrade as I go.

I plan on keeping the house and new workshop in the family, were now on the second and third generations, so I am sure all the tools will get their fill so to say....

Once again, thanks for all the advice....

The tent sale can result in some nice discounts. It depends on whats missing or broke but prices can be 50%-70% of new. You'll want to get there early, people start lining up at 5 or 6 a.m. When I was there a few years ago, the way it worked is there is a multi-part form taped to each machine. The idea is to tear one sheet off, take it to the cashier's line, pay for the machine then pick it up. People will tear off the sheets on several machines but not buy them all. After a few hours without being picked up, the machine 'goes back on the market' but the cream of the crop goes fast.

Alan Wright
01-18-2012, 10:55 PM
The only real Rigid tool I have is the lunch box plainer. Mine is 8 years old and still going strong. I've upgraded most of my other tools and my next big tool purchase is the Griz 15" plancer with spiral head. The new rigid planers are 3 blade units and mine is an older 2 blade unit. Having said that, I have run massive amounts of wood through this $399 rig, and it doesn't owe me a thing. There are definately better plainer options, but man... this this has been beaten to death and I still get decent results...

Tullie Templet
01-19-2012, 2:25 AM
I have the Drill Press and the Jointer and I like them both so far. The dill press doesn't see heavy,hard use but I do use it a good bit and it has worked perfect for me. I love the jointer but wish I had an 8". If I were you I wouldn't pay full price for the jointer and find a used one or save your money for an 8".

scott spencer
01-19-2012, 8:04 AM
The only real Rigid tool I have is the lunch box plainer. Mine is 8 years old and still going strong. I've upgraded most of my other tools and my next big tool purchase is the Griz 15" plancer with spiral head. The new rigid planers are 3 blade units and mine is an older 2 blade unit. Having said that, I have run massive amounts of wood through this $399 rig, and it doesn't owe me a thing. There are definately better plainer options, but man... this this has been beaten to death and I still get decent results...

I hope my Ridgid R4330 planer (the current model) goes 8 years, but I wouldn't bet on it. It does a decent job, but I don't get the feeling that it's as rugged as the former TP1300 that you have. ...one of the issues of buying based on brand name.

Jon Endres
01-22-2012, 3:57 PM
I have a TP1300 planer, a shopvac (can't recall model) and the 5" random-orbit sander. I've put thousands of board feet through that planer, been through several sets of blades, and it's still going strong. Loud? Yes. That's what earmuffs are for. I haven't been too impressed with any of their other tools, although I looked at the jointer briefly before buying an 8" G0500 jointer from Grizzly. It's too bad they do not make that planer anymore, as I will have to decide what to replace it with when it dies or I can't get blades for it anymore. It has certainly paid for itself. 3300 board feet of 9-12" wide pine plank flooring went through that machine when I built my house, as well as all of my stair treads, trim and face frames for my kitchen and bath cabinets. The only thing I have had to repair is the platen, as the old one dented pretty badly.