View Full Version : Another cherry burl saved!

Tim Rinehart
01-10-2012, 7:32 PM
Whenever I visit Kyle Edwards at SawmillNC in Iron Station, NC he usually sends me off with some 'otherwise would rot' burls that just don't fit the quality of the ones he sells. They are typically sitting out on the boneyard of large logs, flitch piles and other stuff in various states. This is the second one of these I've done...kind of addicting (like anything else isn't!! :D)

It wasn't a burl that covered a lot of area around the core of the tree, but had enough to be able to make something interesting, or at least a challenge to do so. I do like a good challenge!

This piece stands 6" tall, 4.5" wide and 1/8" thick throughout. Let me start by saying I didn't intend the piece to be that thin, especially given the overhang on top, and overall lack of material at the top. I had intended to leave at about 3/16" to 1/4", plenty light for a heavily voided piece in my opinion. Well, that pretty much changed when I failed to use my laser (or good sense) for some work near the top and it resulted in a 1/8" thin area.

I was almost ready to trash it, but decided if I could do it that thin all the way through, it would be fine. I found I couldn't keep my HSS/cobalt tips sharp for more than a few minutes, and decided to hollow the rest of it using the little 1/4" diameter carbide inserts mounted in various configs and tools. It was good practice for some hard woods I've had that I knew would be difficult with HSS tips. I used only a modest amount of malachite inlay stone and some copper dust to make some interesting areas on it, without trying to fill every crack and void.

I was also anxious to get this piece off the lathe so I could prep and turn a piece of Acacia from Kathy Marshall...I should have pics of it also soon.

The finish on this piece is two coats of AO (antique oil), hand buffed. Comments and critiques welcome.

Hayes Rutherford
01-10-2012, 7:54 PM
Nice save on that one and a unique shape

Harry Robinette
01-10-2012, 8:05 PM
Tim you had to have very high blood pressure after this and you know this is suppose to be a calming hobby. It's Beautiful but I think theres more missing then there is there. You really out did yourself with this one.

David E Keller
01-10-2012, 8:32 PM
One man's trash, huh? I think it's pretty cool! That's pretty thin for such a suspect piece of wood, but it's a great display of your turning prowess! I wish I knew somebody with a lot of burls and higher standards than I've got... The latter part of that is easy, but the first part has eluded me! Great job!

Bob Wolfe
01-10-2012, 9:09 PM
Tim, That form is SWEEEEET !! Everything about it is fantastic. To me you added just enough of the stone & copper embellishment to make it pop. The figure in this burl is great but the shape and void take it over the top. Did you have to use tape or anything to keep it in one piece? Thanks for sharing this one.

John Keeton
01-10-2012, 9:12 PM
Tim, I am amazed you were able to turn this piece to finish - great work! No wonder Keller likes it - only half of it is there!!

charlie knighton
01-10-2012, 9:18 PM
great piece Tim, not sure how you were able to finish it, one view seems to be a pith, maybe the burl grew over a cut off limb???????

Jim Burr
01-10-2012, 9:26 PM
Good thing Keller didin't see this!!...Opps...my bad! Tim, I have no words, this is out there and scarry! High 5 and four thumbs up!!

Curt Fuller
01-10-2012, 9:33 PM
WOW! That's a beauty Tim! I love that little splash of Malachite in there too.

Tim Rinehart
01-10-2012, 9:54 PM
Thanks all for the great comments. The overall shape is actually pretty standard stuff...it just looks different in some pics because of the lack of material.

Tim you had to have very high blood pressure after this and you know this is suppose to be a calming hobby. It's Beautiful but I think theres more missing then there is there. You really out did yourself with this one.
Thanks Harry. Fortunately, I start out with pretty low blood pressure. I occasionally do stuff like this or question anything LOML says/does just to get that feeling of being alive!:eek:

One man's trash, huh? I think it's pretty cool! That's pretty thin for such a suspect piece of wood, but it's a great display of your turning prowess! I wish I knew somebody with a lot of burls and higher standards than I've got... The latter part of that is easy, but the first part has eluded me! Great job!
Thanks...I knew you'd appreciate the lack of material on this one. Many thanks also for putting some beautiful woods in my hand today...can't wait to get to some of them, just fantastic!

Tim, That form is SWEEEEET !! Everything about it is fantastic. To me you added just enough of the stone & copper embellishment to make it pop. The figure in this burl is great but the shape and void take it over the top. Did you have to use tape or anything to keep it in one piece? Thanks for sharing this one.
Thanks Bob. I was tempted several times to use tape or stretch wrap, but that also risks tearing/stressing the natural bark areas. Its a tenuous decision, and one that usually just results in having to take slower cuts and less speed. My average speed for this piece was about 800 rpms, especially once I started exposing the void.

David Starks
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I wish I knew somebody with a lot of burls Who said i wasnt holding out on ya? It has been a while since youve been by...;)

Baxter Smith
01-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Great jpb Tim. The way that top curls over makes a super looking piece!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Beautiful Tim and a nice save.

Dick Wilson
01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Tim, As long as I have turned and as experienced with hollowing as I am I seriously doubt that I would have even attempted this turn. Man, talk about out of balance from start to finish. Beautiful piece.

Nate Davey
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
One word......AWESOME. Nice rug too. You did great on the pictures.

Bob Rotche
01-11-2012, 8:08 AM
Great work, Tim! The little splash of malachite is interesting and I especially like the view of the piece on its side. Makes it look like something found at an archeological dig. Very cool.

Tim Rinehart
01-11-2012, 8:24 AM
One word......AWESOME. Nice rug too. You did great on the pictures.

Nate, thank you again for your insight into what my photos needed before ever going to software for adjustment. F13 on most of these, no flash or other lighting (and it was overcast when taken so little light coming in game room), most had about a 3-6 second exposure time...then off to Photoshop for Auto adjustments.

In hindsight, I think I'd have been better just putting a white foamboard on floor to take the shots looking down. Too many other things going on color wise to try taking on the wood floor by itself, especially since it's cherry.

Richard Jones
01-11-2012, 8:27 AM
I bet that was fun to turn...............pucker factor must have been about a 9.5................

beautiful piece, thanks for sharing.

Rich

Ken Glass
01-11-2012, 9:49 AM
Tim,
That piece has a real WOW factor to it. I love the way you added the inlay stone in a few places. A real feat to keep it together too. This one is very very nice. Well Done.