PDA

View Full Version : Sand N' Kleen water filtered dust trap for RO sander

Andrew Joiner
01-10-2012, 6:27 PM
I saw this in the Grizzly catalog:http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3383

Would the principle work for sanding wood with a RO sander? You'd breath less dust dumping water than emptying a shop vac.

Kent Chasson
01-10-2012, 7:04 PM
Pure speculation on my part but I can't imagine that it would help. My concern would be that you are adding enough resistance to the vacuum that the suction will be reduced and and you will pick up less dust at the source.

Tom Ewell
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
You can make one up and give it a try if you have some old vacuum wand pieces and a five gallon mud bucket and lid laying around.

Intake side goes down to the bottom of the bucket, a cut slit in the wand allows for sideways flow.

Outtake is just a short piece of wand with a diagonal cut to shield against the flow.

Both wands are just stuck through the closed lid... appropriate hole size of course.

The water is just deep enough to swirl and capture the dust without being sucked out into the vac. (several inches give or take, the level being just shy of the top of the slit)

I used my version for dry wall sanding, worked well enough. Drywall dust would get wet and settle in the bottom... not too sure how it would handle wood dust...never tried it.
You do have to keep an eye on the water level as the "sludge" builds up. Lose the swirl and you just suck straight through the bucket into the vacuum.

Hooked it up to a Fein mini turbo and the sanding pad could stick to the wall surface on it's own so I suspect that sufficient air flow is present to collect wood dust out of a ros.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-11-2012, 1:13 AM
Andrew
I added a Oneida dust deputy to my shop vacuum no more sanding dust in shop vac bag. Work great. $ 39.95 at Woodcraft . Tom

J.R. Rutter
01-11-2012, 9:54 AM
Andrew
I added a Oneida dust deputy to my shop vacuum no more sanding dust in shop vac bag. Work great. $ 39.95 at Woodcraft . Tom

x2 - the little cyclone works well.

We had a water filtered house vacuum at one point and it did filter well. The downside is having to fill, empty, and clean it every time you use it. Otherwise you will just be growing some lovely mold.