PDA

View Full Version : Long time no post

Ken Glass
01-10-2012, 6:24 PM
Hey All,
I haven't been posting for quite a while, (fighting the battle of too many hobbies), but, I have been turning. Almost everything I turn goes to the gallery, and I never seem to take the time to put up the photo tent and take pictures, (not like it makes a lot of difference with my photo skills), so I thought this time I will give you guys a laugh or two and post something. Here are a couple of Austrailian Red Mallee forms on Ebonized Pedestals. The largest one is 13" x 10-1/2" x 4-1/2" tall, The smaller one is 10-1/2" x 7" x 3-3/4" tall. They were both a little challenging as Red Mallee can sometimes be. The edges vary from 1/16" to 1/8" as the bottom dictated. They are finished in clear Pre-cat Lacquer. Both are bound for the Gallery unless a local client, who showed interest in the larger one gets it first. I hope you enjoy, and as always, your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Peter Blair
01-10-2012, 7:01 PM
Wow! Nice work Ken. That red Mallee is really something.

Cory Norgart
01-10-2012, 7:06 PM
Wow Ken!!!! That is some intense looking burl.....Excellent work, Quite the eye catchers.....

Harry Robinette
01-10-2012, 7:12 PM
Very nice work,that red mallee can give you fits if it wants to. I really like the small one.

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 7:20 PM
Glad you're back Ken, your work has always been beautiful and these 2 pieces are no exception. Absolutely georgous. Stick around for a while now if you can. Thanks for posting.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Ken that is a beauty. Glad to see ya back.

Ken Glass
01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Bill & Bernie,
Thanks for the warm welcome back. It seems like I've been gone an eternity. Also thanks for the other nice comments. I am finishing another piece, and maybe I can post it while I have the tent setup....

John W Dixon
01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Ken, As always these pieces are just fantastic. I for one love seeing your work so keep on posting! Hope all is well. You'll have to let me know when they do another one of those artist walks downtown.

Steve Mawson
01-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Ken,
These are really nice. I keep think I will give you a call when we are in Jville but seems like the time is always flying by. I will keep trying. Keep up the good work.

Dan Forman
01-11-2012, 3:29 AM
Very nice work, know what you mean by battling hobbies.

Dan

John Keeton
01-11-2012, 7:06 AM
Ken, good to see you back posting!! I love the look of the Aussie burls, but glad you are the one turning them!! Tried that, don't like it!!

Good work on both - I think I prefer the wider pedestal base on the last pics - can't tell if that is the larger burl, but suspect it is.

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2012, 7:33 AM
Beautiful work Ken! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your gallery sales!

Ken Glass
01-11-2012, 8:25 AM
John D,
They have the Art Walk monthly, but I haven't taken the time to show there again. The Strawn Art Gallery wants to do a show sometime this spring with me followed by a month of showing my work, but I don't know when it is. I can let you know though.

Dan,
I suffer from addictions in Wood Turning, English Sports Cars and College Sports. (Go Illini!!)

Steve M,
You know you are welcome to stop by anytime your home, the coffee pot is always on and maybe you can score a chunk of wood?.

John,
I tried turning a smaller more petite pedestal for the bigger burl, but it was so unbalanced, I didn't' think it would be stable enough when handled. It would have looked more proportional had it been thinner.

Steve,
Thanks. The year had been slow up to about Oct., but sales have taken off since then. I hope it continues, it is suppose to fund itself and my other hobbies. LOL

Jim Burr
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Glad your back Ken! Just leave the tent up...put flowers in front of it so it looks like art, doesn't work in my house but ...
Super chunk of burl...those are some thin wings...glad it didn't take off on you!

Rob Cunningham
01-11-2012, 1:03 PM
Both pieces are really nice. Glad you posted them