PDA

View Full Version : Glue-up in the winter

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2012, 5:14 PM
I'm taking advantage of our unseasonably warm weather gluing up a project in the garage and using Titebond 2. I know it needs to be clamped for 30 minutes which I've done although do I really need to keep heater going through the night for full strength @24 hours? I guess I can move it into the house and let it finish curing although the length (60") + (2) sawhorses makes this a bit of pain.

Mac

Mike Henderson
01-10-2012, 6:16 PM
I don't have a lot of problems with cold weather - this is California, after all. But when I want to add some heat, I use an electric blanket and drape it over the project.

Mike

Andrew Joiner
01-10-2012, 6:46 PM
You can test samples for yourself. I do this often. I like Titebond extend glue. It works @ 40 degrees and above by Titebond's specs. I've tested samples at 40 degrees for an hour than put clamped samples in the freezer over night to simulate the worst cold I'd ever get in my shop. The samples break the wood not the glue line.

Still to be safe on fine work I try to keep it as warm as I possible for as long as I can without my wife getting mad(she pays the electric bill)!

I use clear not red heat lamps over the benches for big stuff. An electric blanket for some glue-ups or bring it in the house.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2012, 7:28 PM
I ended up setting up things in the basement to hold my pieces and bringing the glued-up assemblies in to allow them to cure.
Thanks, the electric blanket sounds like a solid idea...... if I had one.
Mac

Mike Henderson
01-10-2012, 8:44 PM
I ended up setting up things in the basement to hold my pieces and bringing the glued-up assemblies in to allow them to cure.
Thanks, the electric blanket sounds like a solid idea...... if I had one.
Mac
Watch Craigslist for an electric blanket. You'll eventually find someone wanting to dump one. I bought one from a guy who was selling his mother's stuff (she had passed away). It was almost new. He just wanted to get rid of it.

Mike

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2012, 8:48 PM
Thanks for the tip Mike,

Mac

Pat Barry
01-10-2012, 9:01 PM
I live in Minnesota and would never get by with a heating blanket. I made a tent for the top and heated from below with a portable 1500W convection heater. I laid a piece of poly tarp over the top and then let er cook for as long as possible. This tent elevate the interior of the shop from about 40 to a very comfortable temperature ~80F for curing the glue. I wouldn't let it run overnight because I was afraid of fire hazard. Add a blanket over the poly for added thermal buffer from the room and you will be set to go.

Neil Brooks
01-11-2012, 7:04 AM
Andrew Joiner ....

Your wife gets mad if you jack up the electric bill, but NOT if you put your glue-ups in the freezer ?

Interesting ... :p

Andrew Joiner
01-11-2012, 2:29 PM
Andrew Joiner ....

Your wife gets mad if you jack up the electric bill, but NOT if you put your glue-ups in the freezer ?

Interesting ... :p

Yes, she's funny that way. I think I told her " Hun, I know this seems weird but it could save some money on the energy bill if my tests are OK"

Don Jarvie
01-11-2012, 2:45 PM
Is your shop insulated? If so then your probably ok for the glue to setup and begin to cure.

I've left my shop with the temp around 60 and have come back 6 hours later and its still around 55 or so. If its well insulated it will hold the heat long enough for the glue to harden.

Charles McElroy
01-11-2012, 4:40 PM
I never thought of an electric blanket! Thanks Mike!:)

Dave Aronson
01-11-2012, 6:11 PM
It gets too cold to glue? Sorry I had to say it... 76 here in Texas.

Can you glue up inside your house?

Mac McQuinn
02-15-2012, 7:44 PM
I have switched to Titebond III after talking to their Techline. 10 degrees cooler(45 degrees) working temps and a little more working time works well for my type of woodworking.

Mac

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2012, 7:07 AM
I guess I can move it into the house and let it finish curing although the length (60") + (2) sawhorses makes this a bit of pain.

A "real" woodworker has a living room decorated in "early shop"..... :D
Just kidding, just kidding....

Although my wife ( she who has endless patience) is used to having saw horses and a big pile of clamps and an assortment of tools in the living room.
Matter of fact, she just asked me last night about removing the compressor from the dining room..... :O

Michael Mayo
02-16-2012, 8:00 AM
Matter of fact, she just asked me last night about removing the compressor from the dining room..... :O

Now that is classic love it!........:D