PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you crush grinders out there

Rob Price
01-10-2012, 2:54 PM
Still waiting on my NOVA 100m jaws to start my pepper mills (and trying to get some experience).

I took the calipers to my crush grind mechanic from CSU, and the little tenon on the top is 1 1/64". The instructions say to drill that hole with a 1 1/16" bit (which I had to buy). Just eyeballing it with the calipers set to 1 1/16" seems like the tenon would be pretty loose (i.e. not touching at all). Does this lead to some slop in the top when you're twisting it or is the metal rod stiff enough to keep the top on straight?

Tom Collins
01-10-2012, 9:17 PM
Rob, there have been several threads lately on various forums on this topic. It seems there may be some misinformation in the instructions published from some of the vendors. I'm not sure which measurement you are talking about but there is an article in the latest Woodturning Design mag. on this very topic. It is quite good. Pick up a copy and you should be good to go.

TomC

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I clip the tabs and epoxy it in place as I do the bottom. Have never had on come apart.

John King
01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Drill 15/16" hole in the mill top for the stopper and 1 9/16" hole in the bill body for the grinding mechanism. Clip the tabs on stopper and grinding mechanism. Glue in place with epoxy. It's pretty simple. Don't over analyze it. - John