PDA

View Full Version : Smoke & odor removal

Dick Adair
01-10-2012, 2:41 PM
Can anyone recommend a proven smoke and odor removal system. Our social club (bar) has tried "smoke eaters", overhead fans, electronic air purifiers, and exhaust fans (which also remove the heat and/or AC)nothing works very well. I saw an ad for an Air Zone Super 7000 ozone unit. Does anybody have any experience with these or something else. We are looking at about an area of 2500 sf with 10' ceilings. Any ideas for other solutions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your suggestions

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 3:17 PM
If it's heavy smoke, your best bet is charcoal beds.

David Helm
01-10-2012, 3:47 PM
You could consider banning smoking. The problem would then go away.

Jeff Monson
01-10-2012, 3:49 PM
I have used an ozonics machine for odor removal on vehicles and confined areas in home use. They work very well in small areas like a car. The machine I own is a smaller unit, so maybe a larger unit would work well in a larger area??? I will say they do work well though, they do omit a "chlorine" kind of smell which does not last that long.

Van Huskey
01-10-2012, 4:12 PM
I will say they do work well though, they do omit a "chlorine" kind of smell which does not last that long.

What you are smelling is the ozone. Humans can detect Ozone in parts per billion. Ozone is the triatomic allotrope of Oxygen. With the third oxygen atom attached it is a very unstable molecule and trys its best to get rid of the extra O atom and become the stable diatomic oxygen we need to live. When it passes along this "unwanted" atom to another molecule it comes in "contact" with it oxidizes that molecule, changing the molecule, to use a common but crude and mostly incorrect phrase it bleaches it. Ozone can make an excellent air and water purification system but the key is post filtration "scrubbing" of the Ozone, this is usually done by activated carbon beds. The problem is these beds must be well engineered and maintained or they let ozone escape back into the environment you are attempting to "clean". The problem here is ozone doesn't discriminate and will oxidize many things including human lung tissue. For the healthy person short term exposure to slightly incerased ozone levels is a non issue but some people with diminished lung capacity ie COPD can be negatively impacted by the excess ozone and these are the very people that need the clean air the most. I would never use a ozone system in a public environment as I have never been around one that effectively scrubbed the ozone, if you can smell it, it can be a problem. Even if one has an adequate carbon filter it will take very close monitoring and maintenance.

BTW I just looked it up and the EPA seems to take the same dim view as I do:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Jason Roehl
01-10-2012, 5:44 PM
Van, there's a bunch of good info there, and I agree with all of it, except if they're trying to get rid of smoke, I would think a little bit of ozone is pretty low on the list of worries for someone with COPD.

FWIW, our church met for about a year in a local VFW chapter building. There were several members who did not attend during that time due to the residual smoke smell and the effect on their respiratory systems (a couple may have been asthmatic). It didn't really bother me, but I did notice that after church my voice was a little raspy every week. I'm thankful I never got hooked on smoking despite my best efforts in college, and I do enjoy a cigar from time to time, thought it's probably been 2-3 years since I've had one. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want to smoke inside.

One I heard recently: "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."

Van Huskey
01-10-2012, 7:08 PM
Van, there's a bunch of good info there, and I agree with all of it, except if they're trying to get rid of smoke, I would think a little bit of ozone is pretty low on the list of worries for someone with COPD.

Absolutely, I was just focusing on ozone as an air treatment option at that point, not specific to the OPs situation. The best way to deal with any air polltion is control the source, in this instance if they can't or won't control the source I think there are methods with higher efficacy which don't replace one pollution with another. I think it is better to find a "good" rather than try to choose between the lesser of two "evils".

The other issue is cigarette smoke is an extremely complex aerosol with a ton of different components, my guess in order to truely filter it you would need a multi-stage HEPA filter then an activated carbon matrix as well as a potassium permanganate matrix for chemicals like formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide which isn't trapped well by carbon.

John Shuk
01-11-2012, 8:53 AM
Years ago I worked at a company that did restoration work from fires, smoke and soot. We had a machine called a thermo-fogger that had a two stroke engine that blasted out fog that got rid of any smoky odor. We also cleaned all of the walls and carpets before fogging. Likely a film has formed on the walls that will keep the smell going. I think a company like Service Master which is a national franchise might be able to help.

David Weaver
01-11-2012, 9:51 AM
You could consider banning smoking. The problem would then go away.

Ditto that. Make the smokers dip while they're in the club if they want tobacco.

Kevin W Johnson
01-11-2012, 9:55 AM
One I heard recently: "Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."

Which is why I'm so glad Virginia finally banned smoking in restuarants.

ray hampton
01-11-2012, 5:18 PM
how would you non-smokers feel if the states ban all wood turning because of the dust

Ole Anderson
01-11-2012, 5:26 PM
how would you non-smokers feel if the states ban all wood turning because of the dust

Man, I would have a real problem with wood dust if I were trying to eat in a restaurant while someone was sanding at the adjacent table.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Jerome Stanek
01-11-2012, 5:41 PM

I don't care if you smoke but could when you inhale could you keep it in.

Wayne Hendrix
01-11-2012, 6:45 PM

I don't walk down the street blowing shavings up for everyone else to breathe, sand in restaurants, or throw cutoffs out the window of my car to to hit the car behind me or throw them down on the sidewalk as I walk into buildings. I keep my woodworking in my garage and you can keep your smoking in your house.

Dan Hintz
01-11-2012, 6:57 PM
I can collect all of my wood dust in a bag/filter at the end of the day, and it doesn't leave my shop until it's compacted into a compostable heap. Can you say the same for your smoke? If you ever smoke in a public place, those non-smokers around you have no choice in the matter, they're forced to get at least a bit of your smoke in their lungs.

ray hampton
01-11-2012, 7:12 PM
if smoke bother the non-smoking so much why did the non-smoking crowd always hung around the smoking section

Dick Adair
01-11-2012, 7:18 PM
I'm sorry I asked the question. I had no intention of upsetting anyone. I would ask the moderators to close the thread before it gets worse.

Thank you.

Dan Hintz
01-11-2012, 7:20 PM
if smoke bother the non-smoking so much why did the non-smoking crowd always hung around the smoking section
Really, Ray? Are you just trolling now?

Matt Meiser
01-11-2012, 7:21 PM
Michigan's and Ohio's smoking bans did wonders for the smell in our our restaurants and bars. At least one place in Ohio put in separate, "sealed" rooms with separate HVAC systems which also worked quite well. I wish they would ban smoking within a good distance of entrances to public places so I don't have to walk through it to get in or out.

Some people believe we never put a man on the moon too. What can you do?

Kevin W Johnson
01-11-2012, 7:38 PM
I wish they would ban smoking within a good distance of entrances to public places so I don't have to walk through it to get in or out.

I second that motion, and hopefully in time that will happen.

Kevin W Johnson
01-11-2012, 7:53 PM

Ok, I may regret it, but I'll bite.

How exactly do you correlate woodturning in one's private garage/shop to someone smoking in public? If you cannot see the obvious difference here, I'm betting you're one of the inconsiderate smokers of this modern era that is partly responsible (other than health concerns) for the anti-public smoking "attitude" that we have today. It amazes me that so many people have no concern or consideration for those around them, and all they care about is their nicotine fix.

ray hampton
01-11-2012, 8:02 PM

NO, I not trolling , the weather outside are too cold for my boat which I do not own, fishing is a good way to get away from non-smokers

ray hampton
01-11-2012, 8:08 PM
Ok, I may regret it, but I'll bite.

How exactly do you correlate woodturning in one's private garage/shop to someone smoking in public? If you cannot see the obvious difference here, I'm betting you're one of the inconsiderate smokers of this modern era that is partly responsible (other than health concerns) for the anti-public smoking "attitude" that we have today. It amazes me that so many people have no concern or consideration for those around them, and all they care about is their nicotine fix.

the people that are in my face complain about the smoke, the people behind me complain about the gas fumes, everybody else complain about my smelling feet

Kevin W Johnson
01-11-2012, 8:30 PM
the people that are in my face complain about the smoke, the people behind me complain about the gas fumes, everybody else complain about my smelling feet

Quit smoking, change your diet, and take a bath?

ray hampton
01-11-2012, 8:36 PM
Quit smoking, change your diet, and take a bath?

take a bath, do you expect me to sit in dirty water

Dave Lehnert
01-11-2012, 8:58 PM
Michigan's and Ohio's smoking bans did wonders for the smell in our our restaurants and bars. At least one place in Ohio put in separate, "sealed" rooms with separate HVAC systems which also worked quite well. I wish they would ban smoking within a good distance of entrances to public places so I don't have to walk through it to get in or out.

Some people believe we never put a man on the moon too. What can you do?

In Ohio you must be a set distance from the door to smoke. Not sure what that distance is but at work we had to move the outdoor furniture so smokers could smoke. We had them set back about 100 feet.

As far as a ban on woodturning dust in restaurants. I would be 100% for that.

Dan Hintz
01-12-2012, 6:51 AM
As far as a ban on woodturning dust in restaurants. I would be 100% for that.
"Stop oppressing me!"

"We're not oppressing you, Stan."

David Helm
01-12-2012, 5:21 PM
In Washington, when they banned smoking in public places (including within 25 feet of doors or opening windows), bar owners complained that it would hurt business. The reality is that business improved dramatically because all the people who stayed away because of the smoke returned. Nobody in business now complains about the ban.

Kevin W Johnson
01-12-2012, 6:29 PM
In Virginia, businesses have the option of adding an addition with separate entrances and HVAC systems. In my area, I know of none that have done so. It tells me that the owners that complained of reduced business have discovered that isn't the case, and the economics of adding an approved smoking section doesn't warrant the expense.