PDA

View Full Version : Segmenting experiments

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 2:21 PM
I've been planning a complex segmented turning so I wanted to play with some new patterns. These were made with some left over pieces from one of my humidor builds. The snow flake looking one may be in a window in a feature ring. These were made using an MDF miter box so the accuracy isn't at a point where I would use these pieces. But I do have a miter box in the planning stage which would allow me total accuracy. Anyway, please feel free to comment.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23993815/400455338.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23993815/400455334.jpg

Ed Morgano
01-10-2012, 2:26 PM
Bill,
I wish you would do a pictorial on this so we could see just what you do next. I can't make the leap from these pictures to one of your beautiful finished pieces.

John Terefenko
01-10-2012, 2:44 PM
I love to see him do the pictorial from the very beginning. I can't wrap my head around how to get the shape and all the small pieces involved. There has to be shortcuts somewhere. Man that is cool.

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 2:45 PM
Thanks John and Ed, I'm going to try to do a pictorial. I'm just really bad about having my camera at home to do it. I usually keep it at work for other stuff. There's over 384 pieces in just one snow flake.:eek:

Bill Bolen
01-10-2012, 2:52 PM
I'm loving where you are going with these Bill. Very anxious to see one assembled too. Good luck with it, and I gotta admit I really admire your work. A bunch of imagination brought to life!

Scott Hackler
01-10-2012, 2:55 PM
Real cool Bill. I do have a question though: With these multi angle feature rings, are there any problems with the integrity of the glue joints later on? Seems like folks that do the complex feature rings have a lot of end grain to side grain joints.

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 3:12 PM
When I built Monsoon, I had wood in various directions too. The only thing that ever occurred was I could feel the joints over time. Also these features will be in a window of sort so they will be relatively thin. Wood movement will be at a minimum. Malcolm Tibbetts book has a tutorial of this technique. Definitely a good read over and over.

Jim Burr
01-10-2012, 3:48 PM
Are you kidding me?! This isn't an experiment...it's segmentation engineering!! You rock my friend!!

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 4:15 PM
You guys are too kind. Let the game begin. Monsoon took 6 months but I think I've got slightly better at it since then. ( I sure hope so.) I need to gather a few more pieces of wood and I'll begin glue ups. Of course I'll still have to make other stuff durring the build. No way i'm not turning for that long.

John Keeton
01-10-2012, 4:16 PM
Bill, I assume you are thinking of using all of these in the same piece? I hope so, as they are all very compatible in shape and configuration. Great art, Bill!!
...I could feel the joints over time...In addition to the varied movement depending on grain direction, I think sometimes this effect is the result of glue "creep" from the expansion/contraction. I have experienced this on some flatwork where the panel was edge to edge matched. I was not able to discern that one edge was higher than the other, and the glue seemed to produce a very, very faint "feel" at the joint.

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 4:33 PM
Thanks John, I think you're right about the glue creeping in the joints. I think it adds to the piece. Lets a person know that they are individual pieces glued together.

Justin Stephen
01-10-2012, 4:43 PM
Looks great, Bill. One of those designs might end up being a good entry into Malcolm's latest feature ring challenge. :)

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 5:02 PM
What feature ring challenge? Let me know and I'm on it!!!!

Justin Stephen
01-10-2012, 5:06 PM
What feature ring challenge? Let me know and I'm on it!!!!

Club News sub-forum over on the segmented AAW chapter site. :) Go get 'em!

Mike Tilley
01-10-2012, 6:08 PM
Bill The snow flake looks great and would look great as a feature ring can't wait to see what you end up with. Also can't wait to see what you come up with when you actually get a miter saw. Great work

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 6:32 PM
Found the contest, got a better miter hand saw but I'm still working on a custom made one. You can bet I'm on it for this contest. I think I'll have to turn off the bed to achieve this feature ring. No guts no glory though. How exciting!!!

Justin Stephen
01-10-2012, 9:42 PM
Good luck, Bill!

Michael Short
01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Looking forward to where you are going with these. Nice work!!!