PDA

View Full Version : 15 1/2" Maple Crotch Bowl

Bob Bergstrom
01-10-2012, 2:16 PM
I'm regretfully running out of some 70 maple rough outs that I harvested about 2 years ago from two large hard maples. This is a crotch about 15 1/2" wide x 4" deep. It didn't quite get centered (probably because the limbs may not have been of equal size). It is finished with 2 coats of Formby's Tung Oil followed by 2 coats of pre-cat lacquer. The oil turned it a little yellow. In retrospect I wished I had just used water white lacquer I didn't realize how much dominate white wood there was in this piece. The oil tinted it just enough to change it a couple of shades. Between the oil and the precat lacquer, I suspect it will yellow even more with age. As I look back at all the maple I've turned in the last two years I wish I had spalted more of it. It seems that the spalted bowls were admired by many, and sold much quicker.

Neil Longhenry
01-10-2012, 2:43 PM
I like it Bob. A little off center provides an interesting appeal. Do you burn your name or do you use a pen?

Bob Bergstrom
01-10-2012, 2:48 PM
Neil most of the time I do burn it. Some times after the burning I will rub some "Pearl Ex" mica powder mixed in wax. If you burn, make sure you do it before finishing. It will be more consistent.

John Keeton
01-10-2012, 3:08 PM
Outstanding, Bob!!! You really do some very clean work on your bowls. Great rim treatment, as well.

Dan Forman
01-10-2012, 3:13 PM
Good looking bowl! I don't consider off centering to be a problem, perfect balance can be boring. I don't worry about yellowing much either, ever see a perfectly white maple antique? Think of it as patina. :) Now go out and find another big maple or two.

Dan

Jim Burr
01-10-2012, 3:45 PM
I love this one Bob!! The size is great. Simple and clean...a little bling on the rim...you are one of my bowl heros!!

Hayes Rutherford
01-10-2012, 4:28 PM
Very nice bowl and I like the placement of the beads.

Bob Bergstrom
01-10-2012, 4:37 PM
Very nice bowl and I like the placement of the beads.

I thought about one bead, then started to turn a second of the same size. I was a little off and now I am glad I was. I think it makes a better transition into the bowl than the single bead. Having it a little smaller softens or acts as a fade into the bowl. Thanks for the comments. It is a little thicker than I usually do, about 1/2" but still has a good feel.

Bill Bolen
01-10-2012, 5:46 PM
Beautiful piece Bob. I'm really attracted to the double bead set to the interior of the rim. Don't know that I have seen that placement before but it sure is eye catching.

charlie knighton
01-10-2012, 7:01 PM
very nice Bob

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm a fan of the symmetry, but not completely... Like the rings, too.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
That is a a beauty and I like the rim treatment.