PDA

View Full Version : Finished Chest & Dresser

Mike Metz
01-10-2012, 1:35 AM
I just finished a Black Walnut dresser and chest for my girlfriend (little late Christmas gifts).

not the best lighting for the pictures

Todd Burch
01-10-2012, 8:25 AM
Wow, the lighting does suck - but your furniture does NOT! Those are awesome pieces. What did you finish it with? What did you use for a back? Got any pictures of the insides? Did you use dust panels? Did you pre-finish the drawer fronts then assemble the drawers? Did you turn the knobs? Screw in knobs or wedged in knobs?

And, the really big question is... if you ever break up... who gets the cases? ;)

Todd

Brent VanFossen
01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Gorgeous work. I love the maple contrast with the walnut on the dovetails.

gary Zimmel
01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Looks like it was worth the wait!
Those side panels have just enough sap wood to set it off.
Real nice work Mike. I bet your girlfriend loves it...

Bruce Page
01-10-2012, 1:55 PM
I love walnut! Excellent craftsmanship and choice of wood!

Mike Metz
01-10-2012, 2:14 PM
The finish is boiled linseed oil, then sprayed with 3 coats of polycrylic, sanding with 320 between coats. the case is constructed with soft maple dust frames using domino's and traditional mortise and tenons for the rails. the back panels are a simple piece of maple plywood since it will be against a wall anyways. the drawers are soft maple with routed dovetails in the front and dados in the back, they were not prefinished just finished after assembly. i simply used store bought walnut knobs that screwed in. I really liked the small amounts of sap wood as well, just seemed to be just the right amount of contrast.