PDA

View Full Version : Roll Tide

Van Huskey
01-09-2012, 7:48 PM
I can't say it out loud here and just want the game to be as good as the last.

Donny Lawson
01-09-2012, 8:19 PM
I'll second that motion.... "ROLL TIDE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shane lyall
01-09-2012, 8:30 PM
I'll 3rd it! I live about 1.5 hours from Knoxville and less than 2 from Blacksburg so it's all VT or UT here. I put on my Tide attire and hear it from every customer that walks in! I have a jointer that needs tuned up, About 80 bf of maple that needs planned, and a dust collecter that needs empty and cleaned but it ALL can wait! Salsa and chips-check Corona and limes-check remote in hand and games on in a few! ROLL TIDE!

Paul McGaha
01-09-2012, 8:32 PM
Hold that Tiger!!!

Van Huskey
01-10-2012, 3:25 AM
With no real dog in the fight all I can say is the game sucked. I think all the fans similar to me that just wanted another well fought nail biter with the winning score posted with 0:00 showing in the 4th quarter really wasted an evening. This was one of the worst bowl games I watched this year from a pure football lover perspective. LSU is just lucky the score didn't reflect their actual play which was more like a 50-0 blowout.

Paul McGaha
01-10-2012, 5:30 AM
Congratulations to Alabama. A great team and a well deserved win.

Hard to describe for me. LSU has been dealing with inconsistent qb play the last 4 years. Feel for the LSU defense. I thought they played well. To me this failure to at least play competitively is entirely about poor qb play and bad offensive coaching. It is the offensive coaching staffs responsibility to have a qb ready to play.

PHM

Rick Coffey
01-10-2012, 6:36 AM
A good Bama defense and a very bad LSU quaterback (always has been other than a game here and there), bad combination.

Donny Lawson
01-10-2012, 6:46 AM
Alabama came to play and I think LSU wasn't in it this time. Oh Well, Love it. Roll Tide.................

David Weaver
01-10-2012, 8:58 AM
Circumstances, I'd think. I felt like watching the first game that Alabama had outplayed LSU, but made some costly mistakes.

It seemed pretty clear last night that both teams had really good defenses, and their offenses really didn't have a good array of plays (and maybe the right personnel) to do what you need to do when someone is bringing pressure or crowding the line (you only have to watch Drew Brees for about 5 minutes to see him fire off an 8 yard pressure beater). It makes for a dull game.

I thought it was a good game between the two teams that are clearly the best in the country week in and week out this year - both of them had athleticism that wore down everyone else they played this year, even if the teams they were playing were pretty good opponents.

Tom Winship
01-10-2012, 9:11 AM
I was glad to see 'Bama finally win a National Championship. Their first, correct?

Brian Tymchak
01-10-2012, 9:15 AM
I was glad to see 'Bama finally win a National Championship. Their first, correct?

I believe it's their 2nd in 3 years. And they have won several in the past decades.

alex grams
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Brian, I think you missed Tom's sarcasm by a few miles.

As an Aggie (or someone living in Aggieland) he should have a good/bad memory of Bear Bryant leaving A&M to go to Alabama to win his 6 national titles (of which Bama has 13 total now I believe).

That being said, Saban has fully cemented himself as one of colleges greatest coaches. Some may argue that he doesn't have as many titles as the Bear, but a lot has changed in way of parity with scholarship limits since the Bear coached. I think winning national championships at multiple schools with the sustained success he has had speaks more to his ability than doing it all at the same school.

Tom Winship
01-10-2012, 1:32 PM
Alex, you are correct about my sarcasm. "The Bear" holds many memories for me as a youngster.
Trivia question: How many Heisman Trophy winners did Bear have at Alabama?

alex grams
01-10-2012, 1:46 PM
if i had to guess, i want to say none, Wasn't Mark Ingram their first Heisman winner?

Gary Hodgin
01-10-2012, 3:04 PM
Alex, you are correct about my sarcasm. "The Bear" holds many memories for me as a youngster.

Not sure, could google it, but as I recall John David Crow won a Heisman when he played at A&M under Bear. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a Heisman winner at Bama. I think Ingram was the first at Bama.

Tom Winship
01-10-2012, 3:06 PM
His only Heisman winner was John David Crow at A&M. The first college football game I attended was the famous one at Rice stadium in 1955 when Rice led A&M 12-0 with slightly over 3 minutes to go. A&M won 21-12. The guy who scored the first touchdown was Gene Stallings who later coached the national championship winner at 'Bama.

alex grams
01-10-2012, 3:10 PM
ahh Tom, I misunderstood the question. Had I read it right I am sure I would have said Crow. Ingram was Bama's first/only heisman, which is obviously not in the Bear era.

Paul McGaha
01-10-2012, 3:11 PM
if i had to guess, i want to say none, Wasn't Mark Ingram their first Heisman winner?

Mark Ingram was Alabama's 1st Heisman Trophy Winner. I was really surprised to learn that.

PHM

Tom Winship
01-10-2012, 4:29 PM
You are correct, Gary. Lots of people would say "Joe Willie", but he didn't win it.

Eddie Watkins
01-10-2012, 9:34 PM
I spent a bunch of Sundays watching John David Crow play for the St Louis Cardinals before there were any Dallas Cowboys.

Gary Hodgin
01-10-2012, 9:56 PM
I remember Crow when he played with the Cardinals. A good player on a pretty bad team. He was one of my favorite back then. He, Sonny Randle, and Larry Wilson were good Cardinal players. Can't remember if they all played at the same time though.

Tom Winship
01-11-2012, 8:17 AM
John David is still visible around A&M athletic events. Used to see him on the golf course and he was always approachable.

Brian Tymchak
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Sorry about that. I actually thought about that for a few seconds but didn't see any smileys or such to give me a clue.