PDA

View Full Version : A Little/Big Gloat, Guest (OK David M.) At the House

Dick Parr
03-14-2005, 9:33 AM
Bill Chapman came through and set up dinner for the wife and I with David Marks last night. :D Mickey and I met Bill and his wife Laura and David at the restaurant and had a wonderful time for about 2 hours before the surprise :eek: we were headed to our house. Mind you he has been teaching a class for 3 days in town at Woodcraft and this is Sunday night and he had to be in car and headed out at 7:00 AM. This man is a class act :cool:

The next surprise when he got to the house was that he was going to give me a one on one instruction on how to do double bevel marquetry. :D First he wanted a tour of the house to see what I have made before we went into the shop. I got to tell you, this man picked up every piece and bowl and looked at it and said nice things along with some pointers on how to do better(my head isn't to big now :rolleyes: ). Then he showed us his portfolio's and few sample pieces that he brought with him while we talked for awhile.

Out to the shop, and he liked it :cool: He had brought his tools with him so we got to him showing me how to double bevel with the scroll saw. He does make it look easy. :) Finally all good things have to come to an end and at about 12:45 AM, they had to get going. But he will be coming back in October if not before :D

Needless to say, this is a night to remember :) I had met David in October and thought he was a great guy then, this is one down to earth individual/Artist.

Here is a few pic's of the night.

Jon Olson
03-14-2005, 9:41 AM
Awesome. Some guys in show business are class act and every post on every wood forum says the same thing about David...Class act!! What a surprise for you. Sounds like a great evening. What did you guys make??

Jon

Jim Becker
03-14-2005, 9:45 AM
David's a great guy...that's wonderful you got a visit! Mr. Chapman is apparently an excellent social facilitator!!!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-14-2005, 9:47 AM
Dick,

Congrats! That is a dream visit for me! :)

Jason Tuinstra
03-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Dick, wow! What a visit!!! Good for you. I'm sure this was a visit you won't soon forget. Sounds like David is a very nice man.

Ted Shrader
03-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Wow Dick!

What a great gloat. Sounds like you had a great time and a good learning experience.

Congratulations,
Ted

Kent Parker
03-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity. I couldn't help but notice your lumber rack, looks like it can handle a fair mount of weight.

Any chance you can get a closer photo of it? I'm trying to figure out the best rack for my shop that will still allow a bench under it.

Cheers,

Kent

Jerry Clark
03-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks David, you get the Celebrity gloat of the year-- you deserve a big head! I always watch David Marks on the weekends- great show and great instructor.

Tyler Howell
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
You win!
Great Gloat and wonderful opportunity.

Gary Herrmann
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
My BIL lives in Northern CA, I'm trying to figure out a way to turn a visit into getting to take a class with David.

"Hey, great to see you. Oh, did I mention I have to take a class? Sorry. See you in a couple days..."

Rob Horton
03-14-2005, 3:26 PM
In my book, that's not exactly a "little" gloat there. Congrats! It's so great to see a guy like David Marks, with so much skill and noteriety, giving out free advice and just hanging out with fellow woodworkers.

That's why I love the Creek so much. Who knows who might be the next guy (or gal) to have their own TV show. And here we all are just sharing tips and great experiences. It's pretty awesome when you think about it.

John Shuk
03-14-2005, 4:28 PM
There's gloats and then there is just plain nasty braggiing. Seriously what a great treat. I'd say that there were 2 nice guys in those pictures though and David liked hanging with you just as much. Night well spent.

Doug Cowan
03-14-2005, 4:44 PM
That is too cool! Congrats, definatley celebrity gloat of the year!

Jim Barrett
03-14-2005, 5:49 PM
WOW, what a great treat!! Hope he gets home soon. I am on my way to his studio this weekend.

Jim

scott spencer
03-14-2005, 5:59 PM
Good for you Dick! Sounds like a terrific night. If I heard news he was coming to my dinky little shop, I'd take him to a friend's shop and pretend it was mine!

Wish I could still get to see his show...

Jerry Olexa
03-14-2005, 6:45 PM
WOW WOW!! We are not worthy...Good for you. I'm very envious of your special evening. Sounds like he is the class guy he appears on TV . Thanks!!

Corey Hallagan
03-14-2005, 8:01 PM
David, that is very cool!! I have just gotten the digital cable and now have DIY and have been watching his show! Hey, you have the same scroll saw I have, what did he think of the saw?

Corey

Darren Ford
03-14-2005, 8:15 PM
I am speechless Dick,

As if it were not enough that you live in the same town as 2 of the most famous stores in the country (Tom McCann's & Eddie's Auto), but now this!

Who is the lady in the photo ?

Dick Parr
03-14-2005, 9:13 PM
Thanks everyone. That was about the best time I have had in the last few years and I am hoping it won't be the last. It was a pleasure to spend some time with that fine gentleman, he is a really down to earth individual who has a lot of knowledge in our hobby.

Darren, she is my better half. :D

Lou Morrissette
03-14-2005, 9:25 PM
That ranks up there for gloat of the year. What a terrific experience that must have been. Good for you, Dick.

Lou

John Miliunas
03-14-2005, 9:28 PM
Egads! I'm glad I cruised further through the posts...Almost missed this one!:eek: Man Dick, that is stuff many of us only dream of! Yup, Dave certainly IS a class act and you're one lucky dog, IMHO! Congrats and that's NOT a little gloat, but a great BIG one, my friend!:D :) :cool:

Dick Parr
03-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks John, it was an enjoyable evening and one to remember. :D ;)

Pete Harbin
03-15-2005, 12:19 AM
That gloat beats 200 bf of curly cherry, the full EZ Smart system, 3 Festool sanders, an M12V and a LN #6.

From now on whenever anyone has a gloat, you can always say, "You know, David Marks and I were talking about that tool when he was over at my place..."

That will be a day you'll remember for a long time Dick. Good for you!

Pete

Mark Singer
03-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Dick,

It sounds great! He sounds like a terrific guy and you had a great time! Woodworking leads to some great things!!!

John Weber
03-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Dick,

Wow! That is awesome. I'm sure he enjoyed himself as well.

John

P.S. I went to school at UT, got my masters in '92 and worked for Philips in Greeneville for several years before moving back North... GO VOLS!

Kelly C. Hanna
03-15-2005, 10:46 AM
As guests go it doesn't get much better than having great friends and a master woodworker in the shop does it? Looks like you guys had a great time.

Byron Trantham
03-15-2005, 11:06 AM
From now on whenever anyone has a gloat, you can always say, "You know, David Marks and I were talking about that tool when he was over at my place..."
Pete
Now that IS a gloat that just keeps on giving.... :D

Jim Hinze
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
The next surprise when he got to the house was that he was going to give me a one on one instruction on how to do double bevel marquetry. :D

I just spent two days out in Calf. with him learing the same technique. He is a very skilled teacher... and I absolutely love marquetry now... Congrats on a helluv a day :)

Dick Parr
03-15-2005, 2:21 PM
Thanks everyone, it was a night that I will remember for a long long time. :D I didn't do much except watch because of the time, but I know now how it is done and can do it. Didn't mind standing back and watching one bit :D ;)

It was a real honor getting his opinions on how I am doing with my turnings, the good and a couple suggestions where to improve some things (really only a couple). :rolleyes:

Thanks again for sharing some of my enjoyment that is still making me bounce off the walls and keeps the wife telling me to get that grin off my face. :eek: :) This being the second time in 6 months that I have meet him, but the first in my home and shop, I guess I can't ask for anything more. :) Well, I guess I can ask. :D :D