PDA

View Full Version : Cut #3

Hayes Rutherford
01-09-2012, 5:02 PM
Here is a progress report on my Silver Maple project. This time a shorter cut was made so ripping blanks was easier.
My target size was 12x7 inch blanks and this was my initial layout of the log based on grain pattern and figure.
Things worked out fairly close to layout, some blanks turned out larger than my target size and here is what I ended up with.
The 7" depth gave me enough thickness to part of some platter size blanks off many of the pieces.
My total for cut #3 was about 45 assorted bowl, platter, and canister r.o's bringing the total to 145 pcs. and assorted wood that will get another look.
I'll start placing these in cardboard boxes as they loose a little surface moisture. This has worked well for me with rarely any cracking. The boxes go from the shop, to two other locations of increased dryness.
I hope you all find this at least somewhat entertaining. It looks like I'm half way done and will report back when the much anticipated last piece is done.

C&C always welcome.

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 5:11 PM
Hayes, you are an absolute turning machine!! That is production - BIG TIME! I admire that, but do not envy it. You sure made a haul from this one tree.

David E Keller
01-09-2012, 5:51 PM
Good grief! Some of the areas between blanks on the 'plan' picture are big enough for good sized hollow forms! Looks like there's a nice bit of figure in the piece you showed, too. What tool are you using to part of the platter blanks?

ray hampton
01-09-2012, 6:00 PM
nice work, do not want to hijack this thread but when I click on this thread , I noticed that it had 2 replies but no views,
is this possible ?

Justin Stephen
01-09-2012, 6:02 PM
All in an afternoon's work. :)

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 6:09 PM
Ray, I would think the problem is on your end - the thread shows 79 views just five minutes later than your post.

ray hampton
01-09-2012, 6:39 PM
Ray, I would think the problem is on your end - the thread shows 79 views just five minutes later than your post.
thanks John, of course the problem are on my end but did the problem start on mine end, do this happen to all old computers ? my computer date is 2004

Hayes Rutherford
01-09-2012, 7:37 PM
John, I fully understand the no envy. My efforts to get this worked up without the ends drying out or using anchor seal is becoming a little bit like work. It is, however, tremendously good practice.

Good grief! Some of the areas between blanks on the 'plan' picture are big enough for good sized hollow forms! Looks like there's a nice bit of figure in the piece you showed, too. What tool are you using to part of the platter blanks?

David, I didn't adhere strictly to the plan, I just used the template to give priority to this size blank, then made changes. Some of the blanks ended up larger, some got ripped into spindle stock, and lots of it needs a further look. I used the McNaughton straight tool for the platter blanks.

Jamie Donaldson
01-09-2012, 8:29 PM
How can you determine the number of views here? And another question, how can I delete some of the unwanted images in my "Home" files in the Advanced section?

Bill Bukovec
01-09-2012, 8:37 PM
What kind of parting tool are you using?

Very impressive!

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2012, 8:54 PM
Hayes you are a turning machine. Boy I like the idea of parting off platters.

ray hampton
01-09-2012, 9:51 PM
How can you determine the number of views here? And another question, how can I delete some of the unwanted images in my "Home" files in the Advanced section?

the answer to your first question is to the right of the post name before you click on the post

Dan Forman
01-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Hays --- You must be getting in pretty good shape by now with all that lifting. Like the idea of parting off the platter blanks. Are you coring at least one smaller bowl out of the larger ones?

Dan

charlie knighton
01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
nice work, sometimes all i want from a tree is 3 feet of the log, but Hayes, you are ready now

David Starks
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
How big is that tree? Cant tell for sure bythe length of your level but seems 24" or more? That was one massive haul. How much log do you have left?

Hayes Rutherford
01-09-2012, 11:40 PM
What kind of parting tool are you using?

Very impressive!

Bill, I was using the straight blade of the McNaughton regular coring system.

Hays --- You must be getting in pretty good shape by now with all that lifting. Like the idea of parting off the platter blanks. Are you coring at least one smaller bowl out of the larger ones?

Dan

Yes Dan, on the 14" and larger I usually got two additional and if there was much figure maybe take a third.(on the thicker blanks)

How big is that tree? Cant tell for sure bythe length of your level but seems 24" or more? That was one massive haul. How much log do you have left?

David, the level is 48" and that is about what the diameter is on that cut. I think there is a little over 5' of log left so two more cuts across will give me three more pieces.

Kathy Marshall
01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Now that is a heck of a tree! I need to take lessons from you on cutting blanks from a log, but first I probably need a log that's big enough to merit more than just a right half and a left half!

Jon Nuckles
01-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Love to see these threads with big trees getting cut up and turned, though it does make one a bit envious. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2012, 7:52 AM
Hayes - thanks for the progress photos! I love roughing out green wood but at the level you are doing it - I think it would take the fun out of it for me!! No doubt about it - you are in production mode! Be safe!

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 8:31 AM
Hayes, that is awesome! I've been thinking of getting a bigger saw (I have a 20" now) because we have routinely had 30+" maples falling here. But if I did get a bigger saw, I know what would happen...one like yours would come down, and I'd be left searching for yet another saw! What size is your saw? Those look like some nice straight cuts...

Baxter Smith
01-10-2012, 8:44 AM
Looks like you are waist deep in bowls. Both of your threads on this log have been fun to watch!

Hayes Rutherford
01-10-2012, 1:57 PM
Hayes, that is awesome! I've been thinking of getting a bigger saw (I have a 20" now) because we have routinely had 30+" maples falling here. But if I did get a bigger saw, I know what would happen...one like yours would come down, and I'd be left searching for yet another saw! What size is your saw? Those look like some nice straight cuts...
Mike, my go to saw is a 044 Stihl with 30" bar. Even when cutting smaller wood you don't have to bend over so much. I recently acquired two longer bars, a 36 and a 40" but can't afford to put chain on them right now. The 40" is for the next size larger chain so it could get spendy.

David Starks
01-10-2012, 6:54 PM
Being an arborist by trade, it always makes me chuckle when guys talk about thier saws by the bar size. Bar size has nothing to do w/ the size of your saw. I can take an 880 shihl and put a 20" bar on it just like i can take a 210 stihl and put a 20" bar on it. There is a WORLD of power diff in those two saws w/ the same sized bar so forget the bar size, look at your engine size.

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 7:29 PM
David, I can appreciate what you are saying. There is a difference. My point has nothing to do with how fast you cut through the log. Nor does it have to do with cutting firewood. It has to do clean cuts. Maybe I'm an inept chainsawer, but on any log over 20", matching up the cut from the other side becomes either troublesome, tiring, inaccurate, or just plain no fun. When cutting up firewood, I don't give a toad's wart if my cut is off by 1/2" on the other side. When cutting out blanks, I know it just makes more work for me at the next stage of the turning process. The smoother the cut, the easier the next step. Simple. You obviously know more about chainsaws than me...and most folks. Granted that if someone was taking about resawing a 12" block on the band saw, and someone in wonderment was asking what size band saw was he using, the real question would be what hp was the motor...because a 1 hp motor would surely struggle while a 3 hp would more easily breeze through it. My guess is that that is where you are coming from...But again, my point was wondering how he got a smooth cut on such a large blank...not how quickly did he do it with what cc motor and what brand.

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 7:30 PM
Hayes, thanks for the reply. You are a talented man with that saw! Hats off to you...

Hayes Rutherford
01-10-2012, 9:33 PM
Being an arborist by trade, it always makes me chuckle when guys talk about thier saws by the bar size. Bar size has nothing to do w/ the size of your saw. I can take an 880 shihl and put a 20" bar on it just like i can take a 210 stihl and put a 20" bar on it. There is a WORLD of power diff in those two saws w/ the same sized bar so forget the bar size, look at your engine size.

David, I'm sorry if I implied that you could put a longer bar on any saw. I know better since I own multiple saws and they are closely matched to their bars. For example, I have a Stihl 064 that I run Rapco 404A3ACH carbide chain on that is used in the stump grinding part of my business. I'm not sure of the bar length but I know the carbide chain has 91 drive links and is .063. The long bar I acquired is also .063 so that would be the saw I would set up to rip blanks that are too big for my 044 and won't fit on my sawmill. A good running Stihl 064 will easily pull the 36 or 40" bar and as Mike Cruz points out would be really sweet not only for cross cutting, but for making turning blanks from oversize logs and not have to worry about irregular cuts from two directions.

In reality I will probably just make do with what I already have and feel blessed.

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 9:42 PM
Hayes, that was kind of you to "take the fall" for David's comment, but I have the feeling it was directed to me since I was the one that brought up the subject...but I could be wrong...I was once before. ;)

David Starks
01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
My comment wasnt directed at anyone in negative conotation, please understand that. I find it funny and laugh about it as I get it from customers all the time too. Heck, even keller asked me about saws the other day and was looking for something bigger than the 20" he has (gave him the same info).

And no, brand doesnt matter. Im not a diehard stihl man and I own other brands. I too can appreciate a bar that goes all the way through and I guess once I start turning, I will probably appreciate it more.

If I offended anyone, Im sorry, i sure didnt mean to.

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
No worries, David. Just wasn't sure how the tone was directed.

BTW, when you start turning (not like I'm any pro, but I have to admit, I've cut a heck of a lot of blanks/slabs), you'll appreciate a full through cut. Whenever you have a "ridge" in your slab, when you take it to the band saw (if you cut your slabs into circles...some folks just cut the corners off with the chainsaw and have at it from there), those ridges catch the slot in the BS table and the heavier the slab, the harder it is to get it past the channel.

Oh, and another BTW, if you get started turning, careful...it will consume you. ;)

David Starks
01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Great Mike, last thing i want to do here as a newbie is make enemies. ;)

the 'if i start turning' is more like when. im currently waiting on a delta 46-460 and ive got tools and supplies on thier way now. Ive already got a custom turning list going and im not even ready to start.

Anything from Ok i can send ya?

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 8:02 AM
Thanks for the offer, David. I've got wood coming out of my ears. We are foturnate in this area to have a real range of hardwoods that grow naturally: Oak (many many kinds), Maples, Cherry, Hickory, Poplar, Pine, Sassafras, Holly, Locust, Walnut, Beech, Birch, Persimmon... and I have just about all of those on my property. I turn, but not enough to ever get through all that I have. We've had a bunch of maples come down over the last couple of years...beautiful ambrosia in them. I've been giving that away to my local turning buddies, and need to get through my portion and all the other blanks that I have sitting around here. Again, thanks for the offer, but for now, I'll have to decline. What I really need to do is get on the lathe more...:o